What's new

Question about my Gillette Superspeeds...

I purchased a C4 Superspeed from a member here, and it's great. Same age as me, both born in 1957.

I found a 1954 (Z2) at an antique store today for $6 and it cleaned up nicely.

It looks a bit different than the '57 model. Both appear to have the same head, but the handles are just slightly different. Notice in the picture below that tha very prominent notch in the handle is slightly higher up. Also, the hole on the end of the knob is smaller in diameter than the '57. I'm going to guess that the '54 is the nickel (middle) version of the "Trio" released in the latter part of 1954.

Am I correct?

20220425_183824.jpg

Someone with the knowledge to accurately answer your question will come along soon. I'm just jumping in to compliment you on two very nice looking razors!

Someone with the knowledge to accurately answer your question will come along soon. I'm just jumping in to compliment you on two very nice looking razors!
Thank you. I was very fortunate to find the 1954 at an antique shop. I also found a 1965 Blue Star Lady Gillette and two Gems. It was a good day of treasure hunting. 🙂

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I purchased a C4 Superspeed from a member here, and it's great. Same age as me, both born in 1957.

It looks a bit different than the '57 model. Both appear to have the same head, but the handles are just slightly different. Notice in the picture below that tha very prominent notch in the handle is slightly higher up. Also, the hole on the end of the knob is smaller in diameter than the '57. I'm going to guess that the '54 is the nickel (middle) version of the "Trio" released in the latter part of 1954.

Am I correct?

View attachment 1445669
Nice photo, looks like they changed things a little over time. Your observance is accurate with proof(seeing is believing)!

Nice photo, looks like they changed things a little over time. Your observance is accurate with proof(seeing is believing)!
Apparently there was a lot happening that year, and I'm a bit unclear as to what I have exactly.

According to the date code, I believe it was made in the second quarter of 1954, but was curious if it was the mid-level razor between the red and blue tip razors (flare tip?) or just another nickel-plated Superspeed.

No matter, still very happy to have found it.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
1957, when Gillette changed from the reverse-threaded screw to the C-clip retainer holding the T-bar in the handle they moved the crimp toward the TTO knob. Happened on the red and blue tips, too. Late 1957, that's when they became nearly impossible to service. Some say those with the crimped clip can eventually start to rattle.

Both great razors @gpjoe -- enjoy them!

1957, when Gillette changed from the reverse-threaded screw to the C-clip retainer holding the T-bar in the handle they moved the crimp toward the TTO knob. Happened on the red and blue tips, too. Late 1957, that's when they became nearly impossible to service. Some say those with the crimped clip can eventually start to rattle.

Both great razors @gpjoe -- enjoy them!
Thank you. That perfectly explains the handle difference.

Am I correct?

View attachment 1445669

Attachments

• Timeline Flare Tip.jpg
    Timeline Flare Tip.jpg
    606 KB · Views: 18
I think Gillette did a few "World Series" gift sets that had the current years razor model with
slightly different handles. Gillette was the first advertiser in the radio broadcasts.

Also, for a year after then end of the Korean War they were putting together razors from
parts made during the war from metals that weren't being rationed during the war, and some post
war production parts.

I read a history of the Gillette company and razors a couple of years ago. It's a little fuzzy.

Last edited:
Top Bottom