What's new

Question about mixing shave soaps

I plan to mix leftovers from a Stirling soap and a Soap Commander soap. What’s the best way to do it with these type soaps- melt them, grate them or just mash them together? Thanks

Depends on the hardness of the soap. Softer - just mash together; harder - grate if possible, can add in a little water to make blending easier...just a little.

Don't microwave it if it has tallow in it. I grate all my remnant soaps and combine them together in my Frankensoap bowl.

Clayton

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

Don't microwave it if it has tallow in it. I grate all my remnant soaps and combine them together in my Frankensoap bowl.

Clayton

Out of curiosity, why not microwave tallow? will it blow up, or just ruin the soap?

Only microwave glycerine soaps.

Be careful with heat in general. The scent comes from fragrance or essential OILS which can "boil off" or be otherwise affected. Soap makers always wait for the ingredients to cool down some before adding fragrances.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Clownbarf --> Frankensoaps Anyone?
proxy.php

Be careful with heat in general. The scent comes from fragrance or essential OILS which can "boil off" or be otherwise affected. Soap makers always wait for the ingredients to cool down some before adding fragrances.
You just want to give it a few seconds, just enough to melt it. Don't boil it.

Clayton

Tallow soaps don't melt, they just get a little softer. Not enough water to melt, and they were never pourable after full saponification in the first place (think playdoh).

Grate, dampen, and press works well if you go easy on the water. You can 're-batch" with some water and gentle heat, but you will still get playdoh.

Overheated tallow soap will foam up and eventually burn, you don't want that.

You will lose scent with heating, too.

Top Bottom