What's new

Question about merkur 34c HD

I was PIF'd this razor by a very generous member on these boards and just shined it all up today. The only experience I have is with an EJ DE89. How does this compare as far as aggressiveness goes?

Also, I put a blade in it today and one side was showing more blade than the other. Is there a trick to these twist to open razors that I'm not aware of?

Looking forward to using it. Thanks Jerry!!

Jim

It's not a tto razor but I believe you twist the bottom to release the head to put in a blade. I seriously considered this razor for my first but went in a different direction at the last second. I would imagine that the blade should be even. Also, what does PIF'd mean?

It's not a tto razor but I believe you twist the bottom to release the head to put in a blade. I seriously considered this razor for my first but went in a different direction at the last second. I would imagine that the blade should be even. Also, what does PIF'd mean?

"Pay it forward" or "Pass it forward"
Generally refers to a free gift, or at least free as long as you cover shipping.

I have both the razors you mentioned. Both benefit from attention to angle (in my experience, holding the handle more parallel to the floor than not) but I found the HD to be heavier than the EJ. You don't even have to shave with it, let it shave you. Just control the speed with which it glides over your face and re-lather one or two times more to ensure desired closeness of shave. Comfort is more important than closeness, but you'll find that a comfortable shave is also a close shave. If your goal with the HD is a close shave, the weight of it will tear your face up. If you go for comfort, the weight of it will give you a close shave.

The trick to the Merkurs is to brace the parallel sides of the blade that stick out the edges as you twist to tighten. Hold each side, not the cutting edges mind you, to ensure an even placement on the razor. This even placement of the blade is critical for a consistent shaving experience from both sides of the DE razor. It becomes even more critical as you progress to slants.

I agree with Nate. Some employ techniques ranging from tightening the bolt while the top cap faces the ground to trying to pin the blade to the base. It's an issue with my Mergress, 34C, and slant. Nate's method works best.

Thanks guys. I'll have to mess around trying to get the blade to fit in perfectly. Weird that it's like that. I called it a tto because in order to put a blade in I have to "twist to open" :)

So if this isn't a tto, what exactly is? I just want to see the differences online.

Examples of a TTO would be the Gillette Fatboy, SuperSpeed, Red Tip, etc. The TTOs twist to open but typically have "butterfly" doors on the top.

Yeah, a TTO is a razor where you twist the bottom and the doors on the razor's head open up and you can drop in a blade. It's a one-piece razor. Another example is Parker 99R.

I wouldn't say it's aggressive. It's my go-to "get the job done" razor. All my others are great but the 34C HD is the one I can count on.

I have them both and I find them to be very similar--both excellent razors that give me a very smooth shave. They're both what I would call "mild" "forgiving" razors. Never had the blade alignment problem on my 34C.

Well I do have to twist the bottom and when I do, 2 doors open and i drop in blade.....

Then you are mistaken which razor you have because the Merker 34C HD doesn't do that. What you are referring to is a butterfly head. I believe the Merker HD is either a 2 or 3 piece razor meaning it comes apart. TTO razors are 1 piece razors meaning they don't come apart.

Ok here's the pics

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Thats definitely not a 34c.

In my opinion the EJ and the 34c are very similar shavers. The EJ being superior in fit and finish! Also the EJ feels better balanced in my hand but that of course is YMMV.

Do i see 'india' inscribed on the back of your razor? (In the picture)

It looks like a Parker. The Merkur 34c is a super razor. It is the largest selling DE razor in the world. For a good reason too. It is well balanced and holds the blade straight without any effort.

Top Bottom