What's new

Question about lawn equipment

Hey gents, enjoying my day off so far and decided to cut my grass this morning. Got my yard mowed and went to pull out the old walmart special weed eater(a string trimmer is a weed eater in the south) and she's on her last leg. Time to buy another one and looking online before I buy my options are kind of limited because I live in a small town. I have a lowes and walmart, and some commercial sales that sell husky, stihl etc. Question are the stihl or Husqvarna trimmers worth the price tag?? Or should I go for another cheap walmart special? If the value is there I will buy the Husqvarna or stihl,but are there any options that are cheaper that you guys recommend? I also have a sears in my town but I haven't looked at their lawn equipment..What do you use and recommend??

I don't know I don't do much yard work.

$truck.jpg

Yes, Home Depot has Excho brand. I think it's good middle of the road equipment, generally speaking.

How's that for a middle of the road review?

If I were buying today it would be husqvarna and I'd equally look at Echo. I have a Troy Bilt and got lucky, meaning within 10 minutes the first one blew up and the exchanged model is a gem and starts easily.

Where I can't express enough is buying one of these http://m.lowes.com/pd/Shakespeare-Shakespeare-Push-N-Load-Trim-Head/3381658

truly the best investment anyone can make in a weed eater. The buttons push down, you slide in a long piece of string, release the button and it's locked in place. I go through 2 sets of string typically doing my entire house, landscaped backyard and front yard.

I had a 3.6 acre yard (with 2+ acres of landscaping) and I ran my Echo around it every 2 weeks for 4 years, and have since moved to a slightly smaller lot... 6 years without one hitch. Built for serious use. I have the SRM-225 and highly recommend it.

Talked to the home Depot store about 30 miles away, guy said echos were on sale right now,so off to pick one up. For my yard the echo looks to be my best bet. I really appreciate the help guys. I would of either bought a Husqvarna or stihl or another cheapie. Home Depot never crossed my mind. With the money I saved I'm buying a razor.

I purchased a craftsman from sears 3 years ago. 2 stroke... it runs great every year and runs like a champ. I would recommend one of them

I had a 3.6 acre yard (with 2+ acres of landscaping) and I ran my Echo around it every 2 weeks for 4 years, and have since moved to a slightly smaller lot... 6 years without one hitch. Built for serious use. I have the SRM-225 and highly recommend it.

My yard isn't that big, I have a few acres but most of that is just woods. Actual grass is 1/2 acre. I have a privacy fence in the back and chain link in the front so a good weed eater is a must. I live in a valley and I've pulled a rattlesnake out of my house a few years back, and see snakes all the time ,with young kids I haft to keep it cut .

My yard isn't that big, I have a few acres but most of that is just woods. Actual grass is 1/2 acre. I have a privacy fence in the back and chain link in the front so a good weed eater is a must. I live in a valley and I've pulled a rattlesnake out of my house a few years back, and see snakes all the time ,with young kids I haft to keep it cut .

Just bragging up the quality and durability, friend! There is a lot to be said about a small engine that can work that much for extended periods of time. You may want to research before you buy, so you don't go overkill on your lot. Mine would be more than necessary. They should be able to advise on what would be suitable for your yard/needs. Some of the yard equipment sites even go as far to class them for you, so you know what range you should be looking at.

Well, I was going to suggest a Troy Bilt. I have one and have had it for about 9 years and haven't had one problem with it.

Well, I was going to suggest a Troy Bilt. I have one and have had it for about 9 years and haven't had one problem with it.

I had a troy built lawn mower for years, my friends and neighbors all had same lawnmower but had problems all the time. Mine ran and cut like a champ,but a single mom down the street needed a good mower and didn't have much cash ,so I gave it to her,lawnmower still runs great

I have a Stihl weed eater and probably wouldn't replace it. Like their leaf blower/vac, it's made well, expensive, but kind of a hassle to use. I use a weed eater around chain link fence and to edge next to a sidewalk and the Stihl eats string like no other. Plus, you need to wind 2 separate strings. I miss my old Sears weed eater (model ??) which was discontinued. It had a lever that would flip it into a vertical position which was perfect for vertical edging around sidewalks and fencing. I loved that one. Mine seized when it got tangled in some fishing line and I couldn't find a similar model, so I got the Stihl. Maybe 12 years ago I had a Deere weed eater from Home Depot. I think that one only lasted one summer.

I have a Stihl, and would replace it in a heartbeat. I agree about winding the double string being a pain, but I use the plastic blades anyway. It has been an easy starter for five years now. I have replaced one spark plug.

Echo sounds good, sounds good.

I have a John Deere. I am sure it is made by someone else for them. Can't get the string to feed right to save my life. Extremely frustrating. Did I say frustrating? I may need to try that Shakespeare spool above.

Echo sounds good, sounds good.

I have a John Deere. I am sure it is made by someone else for them. Can't get the string to feed right to save my life. Extremely frustrating. Did I say frustrating? I may need to try that Shakespeare spool above.

Good luck, good luck

We have many Stihl products. Leaf blower, multiple chainsaws, weed eater, etc.. All use the same mix of gas. Most are over 8 years old already and while we have had to repair some, you can buy replacement parts for Stihl from a dealer. With cheep brands, you often can not find replacements or carb. kits to make repairs.

One note on whatever piece of lawn equipment you choose, never use gas with ethanol in it. Use premium ethanol-free gas or a middle-grade certified-ethanol-free (most stations have pumps that mix 87octane-with-ethanol and 91octane-ethanol-free to make mid-grade-with ethanol). We have had many neighbors who pass off (cheap and expensive brands of lawn equipment) to us since the equipment "stops working" after a year or three...the problem is the ethanol in the gas getting everything gummed up--even with additives it beaks down over 6 months.

While we have not had much experience with the Stihl battery operated products, for small to medium yards they seem very practical. We have friends that swear by them and say they would never go back to gasoline! Keep in mind that a battery only will last about 5 years before charging is dramatically diminished and you will need to buy a replacement battery then.

Top Bottom