What's new

Question about lawn equipment

I had a Ryobi that lasted 13 seasons and now have a Stihl that I have had for coming up on its fifth. Both are good, but the Ryobi had a much easier process for loading the string. The Stihl runs great, but the loading process is not well designed.

I had a Ryobi that lasted 13 seasons and now have a Stihl that I have had for coming up on its fifth. Both are good, but the Ryobi had a much easier process for loading the string. The Stihl runs great, but the loading process is not well designed.

Hmmm. I have a Stihl and I think it's the easiest trimmer to re-spool I've ever had. Don't even have to take the cover off the head, line up the arrows, feed about a 12-14' piece through so it's equal on both sides and crank the knob until it's wound up. Literally takes less than two minutes to refill. It's only a couple of years old so maybe they re-designed it since yours was made. I'm happy with it, and if you have a lot of trees to trim under, the straight shaft models are the way to go.

Hmmm. I have a Stihl and I think it's the easiest trimmer to re-spool I've ever had. Don't even have to take the cover off the head, line up the arrows, feed about a 12-14' piece through so it's equal on both sides and crank the knob until it's wound up. Literally takes less than two minutes to refill. It's only a couple of years old so maybe they re-designed it since yours was made. I'm happy with it, and if you have a lot of trees to trim under, the straight shaft models are the way to go.

Agreed cut a long piece feed one side in one end and the other in the other end and crank until they stop and cut it in the middle is the easiest way to do it. I love stihl as they fire up every time for me. A little up keep goes a long ways. Diaphrams on the carbs will need replaced on all things to keep them running great.

Mine must have an older style head. I have to take the spool out, wrap both the top and bottom, feed the ends through holes in the housing and the put the spool knob back on. It's a PITA as the line always wants to come lose from the holding notches before you get the spool seated. What you are describing is how my old Ryobi loaded. Easy-peasy. That's why I really like my Ryobi.

Mine must have an older style head. I have to take the spool out, wrap both the top and bottom, feed the ends through holes in the housing and the put the spool knob back on. It's a PITA as the line always wants to come lose from the holding notches before you get the spool seated. What you are describing is how my old Ryobi loaded. Easy-peasy. That's why I really like my Ryobi.

Stop at a stihl dealership and show them what you have and buy the upgraded head. Trust me you won't regret it and it will make life a whole lot easier. You can still use your weed eater and just upgrade the head. I can't remember what they are going for but it is worth every penny in my books.

Stop at a stihl dealership and show them what you have and buy the upgraded head. Trust me you won't regret it and it will make life a whole lot easier. You can still use your weed eater and just upgrade the head. I can't remember what they are going for but it is worth every penny in my books.

Thanks for the advice. My dealer is nearby, I'll go check this option out tomorrow.

My dealer is has an online catalog. Looks like that head is about $28. I think I have a $7 coupon to use too.

Last edited:
If I were buying today it would be husqvarna and I'd equally look at Echo. I have a Troy Bilt and got lucky, meaning within 10 minutes the first one blew up and the exchanged model is a gem and starts easily.

Where I can't express enough is buying one of these http://m.lowes.com/pd/Shakespeare-Shakespeare-Push-N-Load-Trim-Head/3381658

truly the best investment anyone can make in a weed eater. The buttons push down, you slide in a long piece of string, release the button and it's locked in place. I go through 2 sets of string typically doing my entire house, landscaped backyard and front yard.

These are indeed quite awesome! I have one on my broke down 10 year old Troy-Bilt that is headed for the dumpster, and hope to put one on my brand new Husqvarna.

I have a Stihl commercial weedeater, hedge trimmer and edger. I have the residential model blower. The weedeater is around five years old and I haven't had any issues with it. It's the FS100RX. Cranks on the second or third pull. The commercial models are awesome, well worth the extra money.

Thanks for the advice. My dealer is nearby, I'll go check this option out tomorrow.

My dealer is has an online catalog. Looks like that head is about $28. I think I have a $7 coupon to use too.

Sounds good let me know how it works out for you my step grandfather is a stihl retailer so he works on a lot of saws and weed eaters from all manufactures and he sells stihl. I really like the ease of loading the weed eater head on the stihl. You literally cut a good length piece feed in on each end and just twist until its tight with one piece in from hole to hole and just cut it in the middle. Takes 30 seconds or less. I am not trying to promote stihl and maybe my views could be a bit bias but I have seen the reliability of stihl and it seems good for me. Each person has different needs in what they would like to see for what they spend but for me I will always own stihl. Good luck!

Another vote for Stihl. I never understood how the professionals could get a nice even cut using a trimmer. Now I know. Starts easy every time. I replace the string about once, maybe twice per year.

I ended up getting an echo, they were on sale and plus my stepdad had been given a 50 dollar gift card, and it was about to expire so he let me have it, ended up getting a nice weed eater for around 100 dollars, also stopped by and antique mall ad picked up a gillette slim and tech for 24 bucks...good day

I had a lawn care business for 3 years, 1999-2002 and bought a Stihl trimmer and blower when I started it. Both are still going strong, and start right up at the beginning of the season every year. I have always used Sta-Bil and Stihl 2-cycle mix, along with an ethanol treatment when I couldn't find non-ethanol gas.

If either were to completely die today, I would immediately go buy the same model to replace it. I just wish that they still made my mower as good as they used to be...

Oh boy. Does this bring back memories. Good or bad I haven't decided yet. I did lawn maintenance for a large university for twelve years. I am a real hard case when it comes to hand held power equipment. I won't buy anything less than commercial quality. Prejudiced I know, but hear me out. We used Echo and Stihl commercial grade weed eaters for decades. Both served admirably but in the end, I would say the Stihl held up a bit better. I wouldn't want to wager the difference though. The biggest difference between commercial and residential grade equipment is ease of use and durability.

I bought a Stihl commercial grade weed trimmer nearly 25 years ago. It now needs a carb rebuild but it ran for over 22 years without a single issue. I bought it when my parents bought a rural property and had nearly four acres of cut and trimmed yard area. Loads of trees, retaining walls, etc. I knew who was going to do the brunt of the work and I was spoiled by the top shelf equipment we bought at work. The model is an FS76. Straight shaft with a solid steel drive shaft inside. I gave $305 for it in 1990/91. I don't remember which. I wouldn't get rid of it for anything. Now mind, I am speaking of a true commercial grade model and it may not meet your needs. Overkill in this area is okay as long as you can live with the up front expense. Two things to remember; models change and I have been out of the game for fifteen years. Second the EPA has changed how all of these companies approach manufacturing for hand held power equipment. Some are even making small four strokes to cut down on oil emissions and noise. So this is not a great help but after seeing dad struggle with those $79 wonders from Ace Hardware, I know where I would fall. But that's just me. Irregardless of the type you buy, stick with the big names. Husqvarna, Stihl, and Echo. My preference is for the latter two.

Top Bottom