What's new

Question about Hugo Köller Solingen

Ok, since no one seems to know anything about them, I'm going to answer my own question.

Hugo Köller was founded in 1861 in the town of Solingen, Germany. They originally made gardening tools and knives. Lots of old Köller pocket knives for sale both on the great bay and Norwegian auction sites. One guy from a German shaving forum said he knew Köller's old accountant and he claimed that the razors were made "außer haus", whatever that means. Presumably they were either the rebranded product of another manufacturer, or the production was outsourced to others.

In 1991 the company was bought up, I don't know who did it, but appearently they changed ownership two times and after that they merged with Puma. Blades made before 1991 have an eagle logo.
$l_585678270.jpg
Don't know what their logo was between the change of ownership and their merger with Puma.

The razor pictured above is currently winging it's way towards me as I write this. Hopefully it is of good quality. This one guy's granddad appearently bought it and let it sit in it's paper "envelope" until his grandson found it and sold it to me. The seller claims it's NOS, but the most important thing is if it's able to hold an edge.

Last edited:
View attachment 698709
Here is a picture of the blade profile. I should also add that I don't have any experience with honing SRs and thus I will have a professional do it. Therefore I won't be able to add anything further about "hone friendliness", metal hardness and temper. Also I have so little experience with "shaving smoothness" as I always "butcher" my face (i. e. not as smooth a shave as with a DE, though I'm improving), so that I wont be able to comment on that either.

Außer Haus means out of house as a literal translation. So the razors were not manufactured in-house but rather outsourced/rebranded as you wrote.
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this razor.

Top Bottom