What's new

Question about Henckel Kitchen Knives

Is it possible to sharpen the serrated steak knives with the sharpener that comes with the set. I know the instructions say not to do it and that they must be sharpened by a professional; however, I can't find any "professionals" in the area. We don't have any Hoffritz Cutlery or Chesapeake Knife and Tool stores in the area anymore.

Serrated knives don't work well with wheel-type sharpeners, because only the tips of each serration will contact the stone. I would recommend employing a triangular cross-section sharpening stone like the ones that come in the Spyderco Sharpmaker set. The edge of that sort of stone can get into each of the serrations (on the beveled side), and you can finish off by just kissing the back of the edge at an acute angle with the corner of the stone, to take off the resulting burr.

Hey,

I have been avid user of Henckel knives for 5 years now. Unless the sharpener says it sharpen serrated knives, don't do it. Then again almost all sharpeners say that on the package. The thing about serrated knives is that that multiple arcs within the blade which gives it extra strength. Which means you do not have to sharpen serrated for a long long long time. Do have shops that sell all kinds of knives like pocket, hunting, or general mixed including sword replicas, these places may do it themselves or mail them to someone. Then again you shouldn't notice that much decrease in performance of your serrated knives due to their strength.

I use a bladed sharpening steel (I.e. it is like a knife with a pointed edge rather than a cylindrical shape as is the case with Henckels sharpener), on my own knives. But I'd contact Henckels they were most helpful with me and have replaced knives FOC on occasion, so if you ask they will be able to assist further.

Tom

Top Bottom