What's new

Question about Handles

Hey, y'all! I have tried to think of the most polite way to ask a question about brush handles. I am not being flippant about anyone's handle, may I ask about the handles that come from the most famous brands.

Now, gently, of the modern handles are made (not including , ivory, bakelite, the antique or animal horns) are made out plastic. From the ones that I have seen they are plastic, no? Please correct me if I am wrong.:blushing:

Most plastics (Eric worked in plastic and injection molding and medical products for 20 yrs) cost virtually a penny a piece. A penny if they are in quantity, etc.

It is a penny to produce with a great knot. If you buy in many items at a time, the price at production costs maybe $10 if we are being generous with the production amount, Which is a 95 % mark up for retail. (If I've boogered up the math, plz excuse).

Is it the name? Are the handles perfectly molded? Is it the feeling like a part of community that everyone has one and we can talk about them? Getting all the toys?

Enquiring minds are puzzled.:huh:

ps we haven't been out and about, Eric had a medical problem that was unknown until we got to the ER and it nearly ended his life.

Most modern brushes are not made with molded handles, they're turned from resin stock. Generally the High Cost of shaving brushes can be attributed to the quality of the badger knot and the name slapped on the handle. There are exceptions, like with Paladin where are the quality of the Shaving brush handle is well worth any amount paid.

Your estimated production costs are way off though.

As far as I'm concerned, a good brush doesn't need to cost much at all. I'm a synthetic guy, so I'm sure any 10$ brush will last me as long as a 100$ brush. The thing for me is, there's certain knots I like, so I buy based on that, and then every company has their own type of handle that they use. And sadly, as cheap as I want to be, the knots I like seem to be in the more expensive brushes.

Most modern brushes are not made with molded handles, they're turned from resin stock. Generally the High Cost of shaving brushes can be attributed to the quality of the badger knot and the name slapped on the handle. There are exceptions, like with Paladin where are the quality of the Shaving brush handle is well worth any amount paid.

Your estimated production costs are way off though.

Yes, turned handles and nice badger knots run way more.

Supply and demand and marketing cachet plus the quality of the knot are the factors in brush prices.

If you were to hold one of Peter Wolf's handles in your hand I don't think you'd be questioning if the quality was worth the cost.

Hey, sorry I didn't set email to see if anyone responded - so I assumed no one did. So, the production what would you think would be more accurate? I thought I was being generous. My experience is in plastics, pennies was the production cost and hundreds or dollars were the sale price, in fashion a $400 sweater cost $35, allergy shots cost the Dr $25/bottle of serum for which they charged patients $600.

But if you know, cool I'd love to hear. Thanks

Thanks! what are your favorite knots? Is it size of knot or type? Or do you use the synthetic in a well known handle? Or vintage et al.

Again, sorry top be so long, I didn't think anyone answered....thanks for being patient, K

If you wouldn't mind, can you describe what it is you love about them? Weight, length, form, color, size, fit in your hand, sorry to ask so many questions, love to hear but some people don't use as may adjectives as I would. Women (I) use 3 times as many words. As much detail would be awesome to hear.

Again so sorry for ignoring y'all, I didn't get notices my error.

Look at a Simpson handle and a Vulfix handle side by side. Does not the Simpson handle have a "classier" look? I'm sure the Vulfix handles are fine and good quality, but there is a big difference in appearance.

Look at a Simpson handle and a Vulfix handle side by side. Does not the Simpson handle have a "classier" look? I'm sure the Vulfix handles are fine and good quality, but there is a big difference in appearance.

Its all in your mind.
If Vulfix prices is doubled the price of a Simpson, I bet many of us would say Vulfix looks more classy.

If you wouldn't mind, can you describe what it is you love about them? Weight, length, form, color, size, fit in your hand, sorry to ask so many questions, love to hear but some people don't use as may adjectives as I would. Women (I) use 3 times as many words. As much detail would be awesome to hear.

Again so sorry for ignoring y'all, I didn't get notices my error.

For me it's weight--I like the heft of a solid handle. I also like pretty much any Omega boar brush I have used, apart from the handles, which are (as you described previously) 1¢ hollow injection-molded plastic. An aftermarket handle (you can get a lovely one from WD for $6) makes these brushes much more enjoyable to use.

As far as brush prices go, I can't speak to the cost side of things as you have, but a fair price for a brush is what a sufficient number of people are willing to pay. Simple as that.

They're the same company?
Irrelevant. Walk by a department store window and see a Simpson brush (even the very inexpensive Special (S1) and a Vulfix brush (let's assume identical knots) standing side-by-side on a velvet draped pedestal. Not knowing the lore or price of either, which one has more curb appeal to the majority of people?

Last edited:
Irrelevant. Walk by a department store window and see a Simpson brush (even the very inexpensive Special (S1) and a Vulfix brush (let's assume identical knots) standing side-by-side on a velvet draped pedestal. Not knowing the lore or price of either, which one has more curb appeal to the majority of people?
Not really. Same quality, different shapes.

Last edited:
This whole discussion became somewhat of an epiphany to me just a few days ago.

I picked up a $4 Gold Dollar razor recently. Thing was duller than dishwater. Appearance, fit and finish were horrid. Spent some time on a number of hones. End result was it shaved as well as the $300 dollar razor I used subsequently.

My $20 Omega boar works as well as my $150 hand crafted brush. Point is?? It's all what makes you smile.

good brushes dont have to be expensive.i use reknotted handles from yesteryear and enjoy very high quality knots at not so high a price.Here are a sampling of some in my rotation

Attachments

• $IMG_0485 (1).jpg
    $IMG_0485 (1).jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 40
Top Bottom