What's new

Question about Gillettes

I just have a quick question I was hoping someone could answer for me. What is the difference in aggression between the Gillette Red Tip and various settings on the Fatboy? For example, is the red tip's aggressiveness similar to a Fatboy on an 8? a 9? etc... I did a quick search and couldn't find a comparison quite like what I'm looking for.

Many thanks in advance!

R

rainman

I don't know that anyone has actually measured this with a caliper. More opinion based. Most will say between 5-7.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I am unsure about this since I didn't try the Fatboy. I do not think that a red tip would be that aggressive (based on a Gillette Superadjustable). The Red tip will be a bit more aggressive than a regular SS because of the weight!. The fatboy will change the blade angle so you should get something that's quite aggressive when on 8 or 9.

I think I read somewhere that a red tip is around 4 or 5 on the fatboy... I can be wrong with this.

You have to be a bit careful, because with these vintage adjustables, a bump or two on the safety bar over the years can make my setting of 7 equal to your setting of 3, etc. That being said I would equate my Red Tip with my Fat Boys set at about 6 or 7 (bingo Rainman!!).

Thanks for the opinions fellas!

So if I want something more aggressive than a Fatboy, what am I looking at in terms of options?

There's a chart I believe on the board somewhere that has exactly what you're looking for - the blade gaps in mm of each Gillettee razor including the blade gaps at the different settings on the Gillette adjustables. I'll look for it, but maybe someone else will find and post it first.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
R

rainman

Thanks for the opinions fellas!

So if I want something more aggressive than a Fatboy, what am I looking at in terms of options?

A Merkur Progress will give you all of the aggressiveness that you want. I only used the Progress at 2.5 or 3 when I used the Fatboy at 9 with no problems.

Maybe I'll have to throw a Merkur into the mix when I have some cash freed up. Thanks for all the help gents, and for the chart linked above!

Top Bottom