What's new

Question about "fancy" Mach3 handles.

Has anyone notices an improvement in the way the Mach 3 shaves with a heavier or more balanced handle like what might be available by EJ, Muhle, or some of our hobbyists? I've noticed that DE's can have a different feel depending on the handle. I was just wondering if anyone has noticed the same correlation with the Mach 3.

I think generally people buy these because they match a brush, or look nice in the stand on their counter. I have an Edwin Jagger Fusion handle. I have the same handle on my DE razor, and it's nice to use a familiar shape when travelling (which is pretty frequently). I haven't noticed any functional benefit to it, unless you consider familiarity a functional benefit.

The design of the cartridge style razor heads seems to make it where a different handle really won't affect the shave. The angle of the blade to skin is set, and since it lays flat against the face, even balance in the handle doesn't really seem to matter much. I think it's more of a looking nicer in a set, or on the shelf, than anything functional related.

The mach heads swivel so you don't have to do any thing with the angle, just put it on your face and drag. NRK makes a good point about a familiar handle or a handle that you can grip better.

Mostly I think it's just a way for cartridge users to get a little RAD in their life.

First good question I've heard of a Mach three. But unless the head is also heavier and jot just the handle it would be of minimal use. Just look at the differences on the the various Gillette's we collect. The Toggle is heavily weighted towards the top and is heavy thus lending to a more aggressive shave. My 52A which weighs in at 29g is just the opposite as mellow shaver.

The design of the cartridge style razor heads seems to make it where a different handle really won't affect the shave. The angle of the blade to skin is set, and since it lays flat against the face, even balance in the handle doesn't really seem to matter much. I think it's more of a looking nicer in a set, or on the shelf, than anything functional related.

+1 My thoughts exactly.

I speak as one who buys higher-end handles for all his cartridges, be it Mach3, Sensor, Atra or Trac II (but not Fusion, which I can't stand). They don't make a bit of difference in the final result of the shave, but I find they do make the shave itself more enjoyable. Some of it is purely psychological, and some of it is actual. The psychological part is fostered by the part of my brain that likes nice hardware - the same part that prefers nicer plumbing fixtures in my sink and shower. Sure, the type of faucet found in most gas station bathrooms will work just fine, but I like something nicer in my abode. Same goes for my razor.

The actual "improvement" comes in the form of balance, weight, and feel in the hand. The heavier handles really do feel nicer, and make the shave experience seem more luxurious. The flip side of this is if the handle isn't knurled well, it can be harder to hold than a stock handle, due to lack of traction in the grip. The barley-style grip seems to work best in this regard.

All that said, everybody else pretty much has it right: cartridges are designed to be foolproof, and in the end, the choice of handle doesn't change the way they shave. The end results will pretty much be the same once the shave itself is done. The nicer, aftermarket handles are all about the "experience" of the shave.

Top Bottom