What's new

Question about cleaning with toothbrush.

What I am about to ask may sound like a joke, but I'm being serious. I see a lot of information online about cleaning the soap residue off of your razors using hot soapy water and an OLD toothbrush. Is there any problem with using a NEW toothbrush? Will it be too scratchy and damage the plating? Again, I'm serious here. I just want to make sure I am covering all my bases. Thanks.

I've used new and old toothbrushes, I just go a little gentler when using a new toothbrush. After a good soak you don't need pressure, the residue comes off easily.

New or old toothbrush is fine, but a soft one is best. Best soap scum remover is Dawn, Palmolive will work also. Hot tap water mixed with Dawn and let it soak until warm then scrub...repeat if needed, some may need multiple soaks. You can also use Scrubbing Bubbles(no bleach version) for serious buildup and/or corrosion. The point is to do it quickly yet gently without removing any plating or scratching the plating. As a final step you can use Flitz, Maas or some type of non-abrasive polish. If you have a gold or silver plated razor, you may want to polish with just a soft cloth. Most of the vintage razors plated in gold or silver are very thinly plated, some could be referred to as a gold wash.

New or old toothbrush is fine, but a soft one is best. Best soap scum remover is Dawn, Palmolive will work also. Hot tap water mixed with Dawn and let it soak until warm then scrub...repeat if needed, some may need multiple soaks. You can also use Scrubbing Bubbles(no bleach version) for serious buildup and/or corrosion. The point is to do it quickly yet gently without removing any plating or scratching the plating. As a final step you can use Flitz, Maas or some type of non-abrasive polish. If you have a gold or silver plated razor, you may want to polish with just a soft cloth. Most of the vintage razors plated in gold or silver are very thinly plated, some could be referred to as a gold wash.
Thanks for the info!

I not only use a new toothbrush, but I also use toothpaste. Colgate paste, to be exact.
Hmmm...I wonder about the toothpaste...it's mildly abrasive, and might not be advisable for vintage razors with gold plating.
I use a spray bathroom cleaner with a toothbrush, and the soap scum is obliterated. I've never felt that I needed an abrasive.

I use new toothbrushes that are "gemmies" from the dentist I go to, and they have soft bristles and are giveaways, no cost to me. I also have used ones allotted for this purpose, as well as cleaning car parts off of MGB's such as the one I am currently restoring in my avatar. A good dishwashing hand soap works well for this, as it is designed to cut grease. Soaking also in dishwashing soap and water overnight certainly helps to soften shaving detritus from a newly acquired, used razor. I make sure that the head and hollow TTO handle is bone dry by using a hair blow drier to remove any water. Prior to this- I vigorously shake the razor so that any trapped water exits the handle at the TTO rod opening rivet at the head. I store mine following a light polish with a cotton maker-up removal pad from my wife's humongous supply. I do go one step further before putting the razor away (recommended by Captain Murphy, our own razor repairman), and that is to place a couple of drops of firearm lubricant at the TTO opening. Cap uses Hoppes 9 Oil, as I do, but by no means are you limited to that choice and I an not endorsing it specifically, as there are a host of others that work well in this application. Now my Super Speeds operate effortlessly, and are chatter free when the TTO knob is turned to open and close the blades. This last step, particularly if using an aluminum or steel handled razor such as a Black or Blue Tip Supper Speed- coats the inside of the handle barrel to prevent a catalytic reaction between dissimilar metals. This regimen keeps my razors in practically as-new condition and ensures trouble-free use for the rest of my shaving days. I store my razors head down in vintage shaving mugs, but only because this was how most folks stored their razors- in a glass or shelf in the medicine cabinet along with a shaving mug and brush during the early Super Speed days..
Open Medicine Cabinet 1950's.jpg
Early Super Speed Shave Den Nearing Completion .JPG
. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown.

Old/New, doesn't matter. I think most folks just say to use an old one, because you don't need to go out and buy a toothbrush just to clean your razors. Most of us have a couple toothbrushes lying around anyway, so just use one you aren't using for your teeth anymore.

Just make sure you don't use it to brush your teeth with afterwards.
I have no fear of that. I've modified a few retired toothbrushes by heating up the thin part just behind the bristles and bending the head back by about 45º, like a hockey stick. here's no mistaking it for a current toothbrush. The angle helps to get it into a lot more places, like the bottom of containers, behind faucets, etc.

I think the business about using old toothbrushes for cleaning is just the notion that it won't cost you anything if they've already been retired from brushing teeth.

Old/New, doesn't matter. I think most folks just say to use an old one, because you don't need to go out and buy a toothbrush just to clean your razors. Most of us have a couple toothbrushes lying around anyway, so just use one you aren't using for your teeth anymore.
^^This right here...

Top Bottom