What's new

Question about cleaning my 1967 black handle Super Speed

Could a local jewelry store clean it with a ultrasonic?
Is there a place to send it to who specializes in razors?
Is it worth the money? Works fine but could use a cleaning.

interested in this too, I have a Schick Krona with a black handle and was wondering the best way to clean it since you can't "boil" it.

I wouldn’t use an ultrasonic cleaner with the Gillette black handles (Super Speed and Super Adjustables) due to the risk of removing the black finish.

I’d try traditional methods first. If you really like the razor or you inherited it, I’d consider a revamp. North Shore razors gets amazing reviews and would make it look like new with a black Gunkote finish if you chose to go that route. They also have a service I believe that can clean it up without refinishing.

I wouldn’t use an ultrasonic cleaner with the Gillette black handles (Super Speed and Super Adjustables) due to the risk of removing the black finish.

I’d try traditional methods first. If you really like the razor or you inherited it, I’d consider a revamp. North Shore razors gets amazing reviews and would make it look like new with a black Gunkote finish if you chose to go that route. They also have a service I believe that can clean it up without refinishing.
They do have a service called Razor-Rite. http://instagr.am/p/CJygaOZnlc7/

I clean all my razors and blades in an ultrasonic every time I use them. It keeps scum from building up in corners, hinges and impossible to get at areas. Hell, it only cost me $40 on Amazon. it’s always sitting on my counter with water in it, so I use it. I drop my eye glasses in it and anything else that comes to mind.

R

romsitsa

Hello!

Make sure the solution used in the ultrasonic won't harm anodised aluminum and it will be ok.
If you want to clean the outside of the razor, some dishwashing liquid, water and a toothbrush should be enough.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I used a black handled Super Speed every day for over 6 years and barely maintained it. After a few years of daily use and little more than a rinse after daily use it was getting sticky to open and close. Several soaks in hot water loosened up the doors, and a toothbrush with Dawn and it looked as good as new. I got a little better about keeping it clean, but it still wasn't maintained properly. But it always cleaned up to look at least in VG to Exc condition after an hour at the 'spa.' Take your time with it. Soak it, gently scrub it, soak it again, and repeat. It'll come around.

Hello!

Make sure the solution used in the ultrasonic won't harm anodised aluminum and it will be ok.
If you want to clean the outside of the razor, some dishwashing liquid, water and a toothbrush should be enough.
All I use in my ultrasonic cleaner is a few drops of Palmolive Oxy. I may soft toothbrush before/after.
Some people say an ultrasonic cleaner can strip plating and paint, but these are $40 household cleaners, not high power commercial setups used to clean diesel injectors. They don’t hurt anything and really loosen up where soapy film and oils build up. I’ve had Micromatic that the opening mechanism was seized and wouldn’t work. Five minutes in the ultrasonic and it worked fine. Great for eyeglass nose pieces and hinges too. Your wife will love using it on her jewelry.

I use in my ultrasonic cleaner to clean razors, knives, tools, etc. The only time I have a problem with paint coming off is if the paint is in bad condition, which means that other methods of cleaning would also probable take the paint off also.

Top Bottom