What's new

Question About Carts

I don't regularly shave with carts. I do keep some Schick two blade disposables around just in case I need to shave quickly. Last night was one of those times and I noticed something that I am a little confused about.

With a cart, I can easily shave ATG with less irritation that I can with our classic DE. Why is that? Does anyone have the science to explain it or a good enough BS answer that I wont question it?

Generally, carts have such a narrow blade gap and minimal channel depth that "grabbing" hairs isn't possible, hence, the theory of the multi-blade. The idea behind multi-blades is that the leading edge takes the top of the hair and each subsequent blade crops if a bit closer.

Think of it like 3 guys (or more) mowing a lawn with a month's worth of growth. Guy #1 has his mower at highest elevation, guy #2 runs his a couple of inches lower, guy #3 does the same and so on. Now, Guy #1 can set his mower at 1 inch, if he has enough horsepower to drive the blades and if the blades are sharp enough, but you'll still have grass uprooted. I.e., the tugging you'll feel with a DE many times.

The failing in the theory is that many of us find that the carts don't exfoliate well, resulting (exactly as they advertise) hairs get pulled up, then settle back just below skin surface. If you have a bit more dead skin on your face (the result of not having an exposed blade doing exfoliative work), it will result in ingrown hairs and clogged pores. Again, this isn't everyone, but many of us have had this experience.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I suppose most carts are designed so it is almost impossible to cut yourself, and little to no skill is required to use them. I assume they have a very small blade gap, little blade exposure, and blades which are comparatively much less sharp than a DE. That said, I often use a Bic Metal disposable and it is pretty sharp and shaves superbly, every bit as good as any DE I have ever used.

I suppose most carts are designed so it is almost impossible to cut yourself, and little to no skill is required to use them. I assume they have a very small blade gap, little blade exposure, and blades which are comparatively much less sharp than a DE. That said, I often use a Bic Metal disposable and it is pretty sharp and shaves superbly, every bit as good as any DE I have ever used.
Somehow, in the '80s and '90s when I used a cart, I wound up nicking myself about a third of the time and had to rinse the blood off in the shower. Of course my technique was nonexistent then, too.

carts are designed to be down stroke only, one pass and that's it.........the best thing to do with carts is 86 them. You can shave just as quick with a single blade safety razor as you can a cart.

I shaved with carts for many years. SAS with one pass and I picked up some bad technique. Unfortunately, I also had ingrown hairs and skin trouble.

Now my shaves are better and my skin is much improved! Plus, I will save $ if I live long enough!! :a29: :a29:

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Good prep / soap makes life a lot easier. I used to irritate myself with carts but I had no concept of beard prep then.

+1

I think the 2 blade cartridge razors were qualitatively different (and are much better shavers) than all of the 3+ blade carts that have come since.

+1

I started shaving as a teenager with a Trac II twin blade cart in 1978. Shaved with that Twin blade and the Good News brand twin blade until coming to B&B in 2010.

I always got nicks, ingrowns and razor rash all those years. Why? Because shaving is a skill. Now, after being a member of this great forum for a decade, not only do I still shave with a vintage Trac II handle and carts, but I also shave with DE, SE, Injector, Straight and Shavette.

I get damn fine shaves with all of them, with no nicks, no ingrowns and no razor rash. I also shave ATG with all of them.

So what is the difference between the rough shaves I had with carts back then and the smooth shaves I get now with not only the exact same carts, but also with razors and blades that were used a century ago?

Knowledge and Skill. Plain & simple.

Technique and skill will always be superior to equipment. Good Equipment is... Good. But there are a lot of different kinds and substitutes for good equipment.

There is no substitute for skill. Keep practicing with your DE to go against the grain. Don’t use the same technique to go against the grain with your DE as you do with your cartridge.

They are not the same. Both are good, but both go about it differently. Patience, study and learn what the difference is for you, to be successful in ATG with DE.

You will get it figured out, just give it time. Time is on your side. :) My next challenge in shaving, will be to get a smooth ATG with the rusty lid from a Pork & Beans can. ;)

Last edited:
Multi-blade carts' don't require so many buffing strokes to cut down the same whiskers. -Less strokes win the game.

I think its because the carts are milder and have a pivot. My neck shaves perfectly with a cart, even after one pass. With a DE its always been a bit of a challenge. Doing 2 or even 3 passes on my neck is begging for irritation.

I love cartridges. I have much less nicks and weepers with them than DE. I change off which cartridge system during the month but my go to cart is a Dorco 7. Every once in a while I pull out a DE for old time sake, and usually regret it.

I don't regularly shave with carts. I do keep some Schick two blade disposables around just in case I need to shave quickly. Last night was one of those times and I noticed something that I am a little confused about.

With a cart, I can easily shave ATG with less irritation that I can with our classic DE. Why is that? Does anyone have the science to explain it or a good enough BS answer that I wont question it?

My water softener is on the fritz; hence my water is very hard (well water) and can't I get my normal slickness. I did two passes with my Merkur Progress, but was getting too much tugging. Switched to a cart for the XTG pass and it performed well. Will probably stick to that until my water is softened again.

The shaving angle is built-in and there is a pivot to keep the blades at the proper angle as you go around corners, etc. There's minimal blade exposure and rigid blades. The multi-blade cartridges mount the blades at different heights.

its blade angle... all about blade angle, its only something around 10 maximum!!!, and thats why it gives nice shaves, it does not scrape skin, like some DE razors.

another thing that affects is that blade gap.

Top Bottom