What's new

Question about canned goo

how meny passes and what directions?

Next time give my method a try:

After my hot shower (during which I wash my face and stubble well with regular soap) I simply re-wet my face with hot water and put on some shaving foam (usually Proraso green) from a can masaging it thoroughly into my stuble.

Than I take my trusty Mercur 34c (loaded with a Feather or a Persona or a Shark blade) and do a quick 4 pass shave (with the grain,across to the right,across to the left and against the grain).

The secret is to shave SMALL areas (around 3 sq cm) and perform ALL passes at the same time rewetting your face w/ a bit of hot water after each pass thus eliminating relathering.

So what I do is shave a 3 sq.cm area w/ the grain with shaving foam on it and than immediately re-wet the SAME area with a bit of hot water (I simply dip my finger into hot water and drag it over the particular area on my face) and shave the same area across the grain to the right than re-wet and shave the same area across the grain to the left and than re-wet and shave the same against the grain (yes the water reactivates the "invisible film" the shaving foam leaves and provides plenty of glide and slickness).

Than I move to the next area and do the same all over again ( I start on my half right cheek under my ear,move to the other half closer to my nose,moove to the right side of my neck than move to my left cheek and left side of the neck and leave my nose & mouth/chin areas for last)

I do this VERY fast (I have been shaving with a DE for more than 40 years so I have very good technique) and this way I do a complete 4 pass shave in around 5-6 minutes.

I have been shaving like this DAILY for ever and the result is BBS everytime.

Next time give my method a try:

After my hot shower (during which I wash my face and stubble well with regular soap) I simply re-wet my face with hot water and put on some shaving foam (usually Proraso green) from a can masaging it thoroughly into my stuble.

Than I take my trusty Mercur 34c (loaded with a Feather or a Persona or a Shark blade) and do a quick 4 pass shave (with the grain,across to the right,across to the left and against the grain).

The secret is to shave SMALL areas (around 3 sq cm) and perform ALL passes at the same time rewetting your face w/ a bit of hot water after each pass thus eliminating relathering.

So what I do is shave a 3 sq.cm area w/ the grain with shaving foam on it and than immediately re-wet the SAME area with a bit of hot water (I simply dip my finger into hot water and drag it over the particular area on my face) and shave the same area across the grain to the right than re-wet and shave the same area across the grain to the left and than re-wet and shave the same against the grain (yes the water reactivates the "invisible film" the shaving foam leaves and provides plenty of glide and slickness).

Than I move to the next area and do the same all over again ( I start on my half right cheek under my ear,move to the other half closer to my nose,moove to the right side of my neck than move to my left cheek and left side of the neck and leave my nose & mouth/chin areas for last)

I do this VERY fast (I have been shaving with a DE for more than 40 years so I have very good technique) and this way I do a complete 4 pass shave in around 5-6 minutes.

I have been shaving like this DAILY for ever and the result is BBS everytime.
Its very good you that you have mastered this technique for you.
I would try this, but our soft water dryes my skin. For example, if i take shower, my skin feels tight on face after that, even if i dont wash my face. So after showers i can not shave.
But still thank you from sharing this. Possibly someone with more oily skin could try this method.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Shaved with canned Noxzema this morning. Here's what I posted on "Shave of the Day:"

Figured I'd break out a can of
ten-year-old Noxzema goo,
see how it holds up.

Initial pass was good after I really
worked the stuff in. Second pass was
okay, but both suffered from a lack of
residual slickness. That is, I couldn't
just re-wet areas needing a touch-up,
but had to squirt some fresh goo on them.

Pretty much any traditional brush lather
would have left enough slickness to simply
rewet, rather than re-lather.

Final result was a good shave, save for
a weeper that required a styptic pencil.

So back into the cupboard the
Noxzema goes for another ten years.

I'd classify it as an acceptable shave, but with a brush, a puck and a little effort, one can do much better.

...Whats next? Air itself?...
I use this quite often:

ES1015.jpg

...Is there anything that doesn’t come in an aerosol can over there?...
I was going to say money, but then this:

81veVeIqJ8L._AC_SY355_.jpg

These people sorted out everything for us, just to make our lives easier and then, what do we do? Start complaining about it.

Last edited:
I may be labeled a heretic, but lately life has gotten busy and most shaves I use the purple barbasol. Some others have dried out my skin but this one seems to be the best for me. Wet face and hands and also put a little water into the barbasol. Works well for me.
It's funny because when I started DE shaving I couldn't use barbasol or any canned goo.
I also picked up all 3 proraso cans flavors to try but haven't tried yet.
I think canned goo is ok when needed if you have good technique for shaving. I do put a bit extra in my left hand when I need to re go over an area to put some on. Doesn't have the residual slickness that my brush lathers do.

Top Bottom