What's new

Question about canned goo

linty1

My wallet cries.
I use foam just to mix it up, although I haven't bought a can since I used up my last (nothing in particular, just keep forgetting to pick up a can). That barbasol original looks interesting, I was looking to try and Aveeno sensitive one, a relative had a can of it and it smelled really nice.

I even have a foam warmer, but it leaks and isn't that great.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I haven’t used this in years, but when I I was deploying on the AWACS a lot, I used to toss this in my go bag. I’d use brush and soap at home but this was good stuff when deployed. Wonder if it’s still available?

proxy.php
Clubman is a top quality foam. Incredible thick. Need to add quite a bit of water to it. I remember it comes in a giant can as well.

For me not only the isobutane is a problem, but also some foams have SLS as a major ingredient, which ls problematic for my skin.
When I have used it I have always found that the foam the way it comes out of the can is a little dry, and benefits from the addition of at least a little bit of water.
I am on vacation right now and have used gillette foamy twice since I left. I never use it at home, though. I have a travel can of it. When it is gone I will not use the Gillette product again because of the SLS.
Another cheap option that is quick and works pretty well is a gel I bought at Bed Bath and Beyond that is marketed for women to use on the bikini line. It is essentially the same as King of Shaves gel (mostly aloe based) but it costs a lot less.

Whatever works for you is just fine!! :thumbup1: :thumbup1:

I used canned goo for years before returning to ‘traditional‘ wet shaving. No joy, but it worked.

I like Barbasol and also Proraso canned foam, they work great and even lather well with a brush. Proraso is about as good as foam gets. My regular soaps offer better performance but using canned foam occasionally brings back happy memories of my Father which I enjoy. I would not however use canned foam with a straight razor or my Feather Artist Club DX razor.

Me too. I find that adding a little extra water slickens the foam up. Often use the foam when I'm in a hurry.

First of all I know I'm going to be looked down upon for even bringing this up but quite often I use canned goo. Barbasol I find to be drying, so I tried gel instead. The Barbasol actually gives me a closer shave and I don't know why. The gel is more comfortable but for some reason isn't as close.
I found the same as you regarding Barbasol vs. Gel. I shifted away from them and toward puck shaving soap 7+ years ago but continued to use gel when traveling until I found smaller shave soap sticks that take up less space.

Nothing wrong with Barbasol or gel cans, and my dad used Barbasol since the 1950s.

Question about canned goo

First of all I know I'm going to be looked down upon for even bringing this up but quite often I use canned goo. Barbasol I find to be drying, so I tried gel instead. The Barbasol actually gives me a closer shave and I don't know why. The gel is more comfortable but for some reason isn't as close.

Don't see the question mark. However, the answer to the question is: no. :biggrin1:

On the other hand, this:
You should use what you like, and not worry about what other people think....

I used Nivea Sensitive gel before I started wet shaving. I’m not sure whether the ingredients are all that great but it did a good job of protecting my face from cartridge razors. A tiny bit goes a long way.

I’m pretty sure I’ll always have a soft spot for Gillette Foamy Lime. It’s what I used when I started shaving. I even had one of the electric foam warmers for those cold winter mornings.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Nothing wrong with canned foams and gels. I used them for years and years but I always applied them with a brush. Still use them from time to time. Nivea canned products were my all time favourites.

I'm working through a can of Barbasol right now. It's one of the few canned products I like and it works pretty well.

Shaving soap in a can? Sounds like another American invention.

Cheese, cream, paint, hair gel and now soap… Whats next? Air itself? Is there anything that doesn’t come in an aerosol can over there?

8D545D83-9857-4A40-AA65-197D318456D7.jpeg

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
There is also canned bacon, cheese burger in a can, Prince Albert in a can.

• Haha
Reactions: Anu

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Australia has canned kangaroo dung but not pressurized. Goes well in stews and casseroles they make for their American friends.

You state question in the title, but you pose none. Anyway, my experience is the same - foam doesn't work, gel does. I especially like the air-pressurized gels by Bulldog (the green and blue one). That being said, I find applying shaving cream without a brush equally as effective and fast. I have both SC and gel in my shaving cabinet.
Closeness of shaving is not a matter of the lubricant, but of your hardware and (more importantly) technique.

The vast majority of men from the mid 50s to late 70s,when disposables and carts became the norm, shaved with canned foam and a DE razor.
If it was...wrong I am sure we would have known by now.
Personally I have been shaving with a DE razor and conned foam since 1980 and don't find the whole brush/soap/cream thing to give better results, it is just a nice....smelling hobby :)
I like Noxzema ,Proraso canned foams ,both dirt cheap in the EU and Nivea shaving gel.
You are right the less protective foam will give you a closer shave than the more protective gel in a single pass shave.
Both ,of course, will give you a very close shave if you do a 3 or 4 pass shave with the correct technique.

The vast majority of men from the mid 50s to late 70s,when disposables and carts became the norm, shaved with canned foam and a DE razor.
If it was...wrong I am sure we would have known by now.
Personally I have been shaving with a DE razor and conned foam since 1980 and don't find the whole brush/soap/cream thing to give better results, it is just a nice....smelling hobby :)
I like Noxzema ,Proraso canned foams ,both dirt cheap in the EU and Nivea shaving gel.
You are right the less protective foam will give you a closer shave than the more protective gel in a single pass shave.
Both ,of course, will give you a very close shave if you do a 3 or 4 pass shave with the correct technique.
how often you shave with canneds? ewery other day? how meny passes and what directions?

I used Barbasol until about three years ago. It worked well for $1.00 for a big can. Not so well for $1.50 for a small can.

Top Bottom