What's new

Question about blade edge profile

A couple of months ago I bought a Dovo 5/8 half hollow round tip straight razor. I had it honed by the shop that sold it to me. I wanted to start with a properly sharpened edge before I attempted any honing myself. I looked at the blade edge with 10x jewelers loupe and was surprised to see the bevel of the razor's edge varied in width. Most of the edge was uniform but an inch of the edge, about a third of the way from the tip, narrowed to a very thin width? I don't know if it matters, but I can't quite get my head around it. The bevel angle is set by the spine. If the honing is done evenly on both sides shouldn't the edge be straight and the bevel be a uniformed width from on end to the other? Does this mean the original grinding of the blade wasn't exactly even? Is it a flaw? Does it even matter? Sometimes looking with a jewelers loupe distorts your perspective.

It doesn’t much matter if it shaves well. it can be caused by uneven pressure across the length of the blade from the honer, over a period of time. It‘s most often do to a warped blade in a new example.

If you’ve got a good edge on it, and see a similar variation in the spine wear its been properly honed around and through the warp I assume.

Not really a huge issue, these things are tools and “art” in the way they are hand finished. 100% even grind is likely not gonna be a flaw.

It could be a small warp, try looking at the other side in same places to see if it is complementary wide/narrow.

Even a difference in pressure during honing could cause the bevel face change.

Imho not a huge issue on a dovo entry level razor under a loupe.

most of my razors have some type of issue that is common to all straights. They all shave wonderfully when dialed in.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
As others have said, if it shaves fine, don't worry about it.

What causes this is generally either a slight warp in the blade or a thinner grind where it occurs. If the bevel is wider on the other side, it is a warp. If the bevel width is the same on both sides, it is most probably a thinner grind in that area.

I learned a while ago that sometimes it is best not to look too closely at a blade that is shaving well. What you might see could unnecessarily worry you.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
What they said. The edge bevel surface absolutely does not have to be of consistent width, any more that it has to be perfectly straight. If it hones up nicely and shaves nicely, be glad.

Meant to write about the concept that 100% even grind is be difficult. Small bevels look neat and even, larger bevels tend to move around. Some get close to even and some get really close. In the end, the best ones are the ones that you like to shave with for whatever reason.

BTW, opening another can of worms is taking advantage of the use of tape to keep a bevel small.

100% even grind is likely not gonna be a flaw.

I am glad to read this post...thanks to OP..
Some of my razor bevel is not even and I thought I made a mess..
Now I know otherwise...

Chard, sometimes it’s the tool, sometimes it’s the user.

Usually trying to force something ends up being the user, thats why i enjoy “using” ~2/3 width of my 3 inch wide hones and prefer 2.25 or less (to a point).

I am glad to read this post...thanks to OP..
Some of my razor bevel is not even and I thought I made a mess..
Now I know otherwise...

Usually trying to force something ends up being the user, thats why i enjoy “using” ~2/3 width of my 3 inch wide hones and prefer 2.25 or less (to a point).
Thanks again for your tips but can I ask you further on the meaning highlighted in bold? Is it meant not use the whole width of the 3 in wide hone? So move it at an angle?

Sure. I imagine that the hone has a line down the middle of the 3 and focus the honing on the right half of that imaginary width (I turn the hone around to even wear). Does that make sense? I rarely, extremely rarely, try to keep the razor on all 3 inches up and down the hone. Some do, not my preference. Occasionally I’ll hone on the depth side of the choseras or narrow natural.

Sure. I imagine that the hone has a line down the middle of the 3 and focus the honing on the right half of that imaginary width (I turn the hone around to even wear). Does that make sense? I rarely, extremely rarely, try to keep the razor on all 3 inches up and down the hone. Some do, not my preference. Occasionally I’ll hone on the depth side of the choseras or narrow natural.
Thanks for your feedback...interesting indeed.

Was your dovo factory honed or on a convex ark?
Having googled a convex ark I'll say that this is a little more advanced edge treatment. How the online shop that made my straight razor shave ready I'm not certain. I have since honed my straight razor with Japanese water stones and it does not change the proportions of the blade's bevel much.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I think i kind of understand the DOVO situation because a lot of people seem to think something is off on the best qualities. I've never had one that I can recall. I have had older Dovo's ( BL and a 1) but not Best Quality or similar level.

From what i think iv'e heard/read over the last couple years, dovo factory edge is finished off a convex hone (or maybe even with spine off the surface at bevel set) and if i understand correctly The Superior Shave may use convex arks to prep their "shave ready" edges. This would affect the bevel surface treatment, smaller apex, smaller bevel, with a bit of convexity, if i understand it all completely, which i may very well not. IIRC, TSS says it follows the steel grind across the edge, not the opposite (like 3" flat stones), more easily.

If you cutting the edge of a convexed treated edge on a flat, i feel like you are definitely needing to cut up into the bevel face to get to the apex, maybe minutely... but more than a flat treated, which then introduces honer pressure more into the equation and maybe more into the grind depending on the grind and razor size.

hopefully that makes sense...

Uneven bevel width is nothing to worry about in most cases. It can be due to warpage during heat treat or it can simply be that the blade wasn't ground perfectly straight to begin with. Keep in mind that the hollow grind on all of these razors are still ground by hand as far as I'm aware. It's not easy to grind perfectly straight by hand. It can be done with a little extra time and care but mass production means that the manufacturer doesn't always allow that kind of time.

Top Bottom