What's new

Question about Beard Oils

1. What's your preferred brand/type of beard oil? I've been looking at Choice Beard & Co's beard oil in particular but wondered if there were other brands (and possibly less expensive ones?) that worked better.

2. Does beard oil actually work to relieve itching and improve the texture/growth of one's beard?

3. I've noticed that Choice's beard oil comes in different varieties, not sure about other brands. Are these just different scents, or do they actually have different effects on the beard?

1. What's your preferred brand/type of beard oil? I've been looking at Choice Beard & Co's beard oil in particular but wondered if there were other brands (and possibly less expensive ones?) that worked better.

2. Does beard oil actually work to relieve itching and improve the texture/growth of one's beard?

3. I've noticed that Choice's beard oil comes in different varieties, not sure about other brands. Are these just different scents, or do they actually have different effects on the beard?

There are a variety of brands out there. Pomade.com has a selection, proraso makes an oil and a balm, and the prices vary a decent amount between brands. Etsy has a variety of home produced small artisan stuff as well, last I looked.

I'm not sure on the itching part, I've had mine for so long it hasn't itched in forever. Nothing short of medicated stuff will make it grow faster, really. As for the improving the texture and the look? The oil definitely makes a difference there, as does the beard balm.

Some brands the variety will be the scent only being the difference, others could very well have a different formula. Only way to know is to compare ingredients labels between them.

I just recently purchased my first beard oil, my only other experience with beard specific product is with Honest Amish beard balm. The beard oil I bought is Simply Great-Datenite. While I like both and feel that both do make the beard softer and prevents the itching I would sometimes get, I prefer the oil and at $20 for 3oz bottle it's a bargain compared to most. Mostly because it is easier to work with, and also I prefer the scent of the oil I chose. I would recommend either one, it just comes down to personal preference as to which one.

Last edited:
I'm using a beard oil my wife got me for Christmas from a producer called Leven Rose. So far, it has proven to be very effective in softening the beard and the skin under the beard. The oil is essentially scentless, composed of argan and jojoba oils.

I am currently using the Woodsman Bread Oil from Incredibeard. My wife bought it for me and it is the first oil I have used. I find that the oil does help with the texture of my beard. My beard is very long and it helps to keep the hairs from getting tangled and keeps my beards nice and smooth. I plan on continue to use beard oils, but would like to try some other brands.

1) I use Proraso and like it a lot.

2) Yes it helps with itching. Growth? I'm not sure

3) This I can't comment on as I've only tried Proraso

I use both oils and balms.

I use oils post shower and balms to tame my beard mid-day when the oil wears off a little.

I received Zeus beard oil as a gift. It really helps with itching and makes my beard a lot softer. The scent I have is lime and it smells great. Haven't tried any others to compare to but so far I like it.

I'm using a beard oil my wife got me for Christmas from a producer called Leven Rose. So far, it has proven to be very effective in softening the beard and the skin under the beard. The oil is essentially scentless, composed of argan and jojoba oils.

I think the oil I have is from the same maker, yup, this is the stuff I use. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IB6IAOS/

I like it alot, I didn't want an oil with any scent, I'm pretty particular with scents and didn't want anything right next to my nose all day, and this does really well. I can't comment on itchyness or anything becuase for whatever reason I don't ever go through any itchy growth stage like most do. As the hair gets longer though the oil really helps keep it manageable and to lay correctly...I've only got a mustache and I use it fairly regularly, and only a tiny bit is needed so the stuff lasts forever.

Yes, I'm resurrecting an old thread. I figured it's better than starting a new one....

I heard somewhere that pre-shave oil can be used as a beard oil as well. Has anyone done this before? I'm mostly looking for something to tame the little whiskers that wanna go wherever they choose to during the day. Since I have a pre-shave oil that I don't really use, I was thinking of trying it for this purpose. Any thoughts there?

Give it a go. I don't think there is anything "magical" about any of the formulations. I'm using an almond/vitamin E/somethingorother oil I got at Whole Foods. Smells nice, no complaints.

I have tried too many beard oils to count...some smelled good...some great...some...well, not so great; longevity was all over the map as well.

I finally settled on the offerings from The Mod Cabin, even though they discontinued my favourite scent - The Stirner (vetiver).

YMMV, of course.

Organix Morrocan Argan oil in a spay bottle and thicker oil in a squeeze, just really softens the beard up and makes it feel good. Also a plus you can pick it up at CVS drugstore. i also use the shampoo and conditioner

1. I've only used Badass Beard Care but, I love it. I have The Original and The Patriot. The Original is a mellow sweetness while The Patriot is a stronger, spicier smell.

2. My beard hasn't really itched in years so I don't know about that but, my beard does seem thicker and smoother. Not sure about the growth just yet.

3. I think that they use different ingredients and therefore different scents as well. Not sure of different effects though.

Yes, I'm resurrecting an old thread. I figured it's better than starting a new one....

I heard somewhere that pre-shave oil can be used as a beard oil as well. Has anyone done this before? I'm mostly looking for something to tame the little whiskers that wanna go wherever they choose to during the day. Since I have a pre-shave oil that I don't really use, I was thinking of trying it for this purpose. Any thoughts there?
I do this. I make my own blend of oil and use it for both pre-shave (head) and beard conditioning. I use a blend of almond, avocado, castor, jojoba, and maybe one or two more oils, I can't remember. I put some on my hands, apply it to my head and whatever is left over gets worked into my beard before I wash my hands. On days I don't shave, I just use it on my beard.

I used Beard Balm that's made in my hometown of Detroit but I wasn't really a fan of the wax base so I tried the Grave Before Shave viking blend beard oil and I like it a lot more. My facial hair is really coarse to the point that a ways back when I had a set of chops that would reach my collarbones, I'd run my fingers through and would have to get tweezers to pull out the occasional bit of hair that had embedded itself in my skin. with regular applications of first the beard balm and now the oil my beard is actually pretty soft to the point that sometimes I need a shirt with the "If you touch my beard I'll touch your butt" logo. I don't know if I'll keep the long beard into summer but I kinda like it and the beard oil has had a lot to do with that.

So, here's a conversation I had with myself.
"How long have Amish dudes been growing their beards?"
"I don't know, centuries I guess"
"What percentage of Amish men wear beards?"
"I don't know! I never was good at math! But, anyway, it's all of them."
"Are Amish men really honest?"
"Enough questions already! I have no idea if they're honest. Let's order some of their beard balm and beard oil stuff and find out!"
So I got some stuff from Honest Amish dot com and loved it. Now I'm using their beard soap as body soap in the shower and my skin feels great! I use the beard oil and balm everyday. My beard is soft and not itchy, it smells clean with no hint of French bordello perfume, and my lovely wife is pleased. Oh, they goofed up my second order and forgot to ship it for a couple of weeks. But they gave me a nice discount to make up for it so I'm happy. It just works. Nuff said.

Top Bottom