What's new

Queen Charlotte Soaps : Vostok and some samples

Hi,

Thought I would share my thoughts and experience of a new puck of Vostok and some soap samples. By way of background the only shaving soaps I have used previous to this are Palmolive cream, Tabac and MWF.

First up Matthew's service is great - I was battling to decide what samples to get so fired him an email outlining some of my fragrance likes/dislikes and he got right back with some suggestions. So got samples of Cayman, Basilica, Vetiver, Provence and Rose Otto. You may of guessed I prefer heavy spicier scents - have always seemed to work better on my skin, much to my wife's frustration Tabac cologne works a treat on me. In addition Matthew threw in a free cream sample of Versailles :w00t:

Package shipped pretty quickly and I could smell it before I even opened it - no idea how it got past the sniffer dogs :001_smile
Opened the box and was hit by a blast of minty menthol spice - completely overpowering. By this time I was very concerned but separated the soaps and decided to let them settle for a few days. 3 days later and scents had settled and the menthol cross pollution had disappeared. The scents are definitely not weak or ill defined.

After a bit of experimenting and failed lathers - I finally got it sorted with the following technique for the samples:
With all the hard soaps I have owned I have found that the soap needs to be "hydrated" before you can get enough product loaded/lathered. So night before I put the piece in a small bowl and covered with warm water for 5 minutes and then emptied the water. Next morning before my shower when I soak the brush just give the soap a swipe with the wet brush. Found it worked better leaving the soap sample whole as opposed to pressing down into the bowl.
Take a fairly wet brush and just start lathering on the soap, scoop the loose foam into your bowl (I bowl lather) and repeat a couple of times and then switch to your bowl and get that lather going.
At least that worked reliably for me :001_smile

As for performance: once lathered properly I couldn't tell much of difference between any of the QC soaps and my MWF/Tabac. Seems to possibly take less water than the MWF and Tabac but I couldn't pick a difference based on lubrication. My skin is on the oily side so I couldn't comment on drying out/moisturizing either.

The big deal with these soaps is the scent, this is a massive YMMV so instead of trying to be objective I am just going to be blunt and share my opinion - this in now way reflects on the quality or effectiveness of this soap yada yada yada....

Vostok
So far this has disappointed me as besides the menthol there is a distinct mint smell that makes it smell like Minties (a well known candy at this end of the world). I am desperately hoping this disappears with time - currently the puck is standing open. The menthol cooling effect is just great on this soap and lives up to the hype, gives your eyes that gentle tingle and cools without burning.

Vetiver
No idea what vetiver is supposed to smell like but this is an earthy forest floor scent as described. Heavy and dense, you smell it at the back of your nose.

Provence
I didn't like the Provence, was the most "complicated" scent of the soaps and to my nose was a combination of vetiver plus something like cedar wood/sandalwood ??? Just not my cup of tea.

Cayman
Again I have never smelt a Bay Rum of any kind. This smells just like a small bottle of brandy with cloves that my dad used to keep in the medicine cabinet (think it was for toothache ???). Distinctly clove and alcohol but not as up front/aggressive as one may think from that description. Surprisingly SWMBO like this on me.

Basilica
Smells, as advertised, like frankincense and myrrh. Heavy, musty, spicy.

Rose Otto
Again no experience of rose scented creams etc. but I do know old fashioned roses. This smells like the most wonderful old fashioned Damask rose. Spice, musk, dry and heady. I love it just because it smells like the roses I love and choose to grow. My favorite scent of the lot.

Versailles Cream
Most complex of all the scents as it has more than just the base notes. Can't quite place it not unpleasant but not a favourite either.

While testing all of these sample I received a pack of aftershave samples and then it hit me. All the soaps I had chosen are essentially strong base notes and perfectly suited to being layered with an appropriate aftershave. Unless you like strong scents I don't think you would like my choice as they are. Once you start pairing with an aftershave with the high and middle notes you can get a complete fragrance which is much gentler and well rounded.
My favorite combo so far is the Rose Otto with Mr Taylors or St James over it.

As for the real test - what will I order again ?
Rose Otto - is going to find a permanent place in my den (can anyone compare it to Klar Kabinett or some of the other rose scents ?)
Vostok - only if the mint disappears or another version is brought out. Menthol is great but I can't get the candy out of my mind.

None of the other scents grab me enough compared to MWF, Tabac, Arlington and Marlborough.

As said earlier the performance of QCS is just great. So go ahead and pick up a couple of samples and try and match with some of your favorite aftershaves or maybe an aftershave that is missing a base note or two.

Hope this helps some of you choose.

Thanks for the thorough reviews. I have a sample of one of their "creams" and it lathers wonderfully. The scent is complex and at first I didn't really like it but it is growing on me because I have been getting nice lathers and good shaves from it. I know QCS prides itself on using essential oils instead of fragrance oils, but I think it is probably a lot easier to get a wonderful fragrance using frangrance oils. The mixing/matching of essential oils in the correct ratios to produce the desired scent is a very complex art. Still, the QCS products are really nice. I've never tried the Rose Otto, but you're making me want to give it a try.

They may (or may not) add additional mint scent, I dunno, but menthol is made from mint oils and pretty much smells like mint on it's own. I actually have a pretty big bag of raw menthol crystals at home, and it smells like mint. I have a sample of Vostok at home and haven't used it for a little while, but from memory it just smelled pretty much like my bag of menthol crystals. So I'm not sure if the mint smell will fade to your liking.

I got several QCS samples recently and agree that the scents are a bit hit-or-miss... some are too earthy for my tastes but I must admit they grow on me to a degree, and I find the earthiness subsides somewhat when lathering it up. Yeah, Cayman smells strongly of cloves to me, not what I expected from a bay rum scent, but maybe it's meant to emulate a spiced rum, not sure. It's pleasant enough though. Just clove-ey.

I've never tried the Rose Otto, but you're making me want to give it a try.
If you enjoy the smell of old fashioned roses I would be very surprised if you don't like the Rose Otto. I am becoming more addicted by the day.

They may (or may not) add additional mint scent, I dunno, but menthol is made from mint oils and pretty much smells like mint on it's own.
Thanks - wasn't aware of that but rather obvious in retrospect. For the life of me I can't think what I would want my menthol to smell like if I had a choice. Probably slight eucalyptus or neutral.

are too earthy for my tastes but I must admit they grow on me to a degree, and I find the earthiness subsides somewhat when lathering it up.
Layer with an aftershave and they really do smell more balanced and the earthiness is a lot more pleasant. Weird but true.

I have been wanting to try out QCS for some time now, but am so broke I can't and am waiting on a time when I can. Perhaps a sampler would be in order for me, some time soon would be lovely but good things can wait. Though impatiently lol.

I have been wanting to try out QCS for some time now, but am so broke I can't and am waiting on a time when I can. Perhaps a sampler would be in order for me, some time soon would be lovely but good things can wait. Though impatiently lol.

Their samples are actually fairly large (for example when compared to the Trumpers and Truefitt & Hill samples), and since they're more of a soft soap than a real cream I think they'll last noticeably longer. So I think they're a good deal, you'll get quite a few shaves out of a QCS sample pack.

How do the soaps compare to the creams? I'm hoping to order some soon (Basilica and Lavender) and I love soaps, but if the creams are a better product I'll go with them.

Well the soaps are great, just you need a lot of product to get a three pass shave. On the other hand though the cushioning, lubrication, and the moisturizing qualities of the soaps are outstanding. Once you get the amount you need in the brush it works like a charm, though that is kinda my problem though the mama bear's soaps require so little that I ma still using the same method for my QCS soaps.

I have the Rose soap. Fantastic. Great scent and the lather is slick and protective. You may need to reload/load more thoroughly - I am largely a 2-pass shaver. I have fairly sensitive skin and no problem with any of the QCS creamsoaps I have tried (6 or so). This is the first traditional soap I have tried from QCS. The QCS creamsoaps are solid, but I prefer soaps and this one does not disappoint. Quality tallow shave soap made in the USA. Period.

In other notes, I use the bath soap from QCS as well, and it is also fabulous. QCS was out of a scent I had ordered and Matt not only included a free sample bar but also refunded the price of the soap - I did not ask for or expect either and am grateful for the kind service.

R

+1 to Matthew @ QCS. A first rate class gentleman. I will be doing business with QCS and him for years and years to come. Happy to say I have at least 10 QCS soaps in the den and on rotation.

Also, I don't see their key lime mentioned. If you're a lime head, it is simply phenomenal stuff.

Quark VI, You could have a Custom Vostok without the Mint made by Matt, I'd also recommend the Celestial Woods which has a nice Pine & Wood scent. The Provence is a Cedar based scent and one of my Favorites, I do prefer the Hard Creams to the Pucks mainly because I find the scents are Bolder.

Quark VI, You could have a Custom Vostok without the Mint made by Matt, I'd also recommend the Celestial Woods which has a nice Pine & Wood scent. The Provence is a Cedar based scent and one of my Favorites, I do prefer the Hard Creams to the Pucks mainly because I find the scents are Bolder.

Again, I strongly suspect that most of the mint smell in Vostok is from the menthol itself, and Vostok without the menthol is just, well, soap.

Robin, thanks for your reviews. I will have to check out the Rose Otto. Sounds interesting. As an FYI, I've just received a QCS Key Lime soap puck. I must say that it is a softer scent, but wonderful on the nose. Not overpowering at all and it does pair well with my bottle of Royall Lyme aftershave. A small splash after my shave and it hits the spot. As for lathering, I found that with the right amount of water, it lathers VERY well. A nice meringue-like consistency with a small bit of work. I have gotten 3 passes easily on the few occasions I have used it recently. Very enjoyable. And yes, top-notch customer service from Matthew too!

CD

Just a follow up - busy keeping track of how many shaves I can get out of a QCS soap sample - this may take a while as I am up to 7 and there if a fair bit to go.

So far finding that the QCS has a smaller sweet spot for amount of water compared to MWF and Tabac. But when you get it right your are duly rewarded with a great quality lather, too much water and you get a disappearing act.

Top Bottom