What's new

Quarter ground vs. Full hollow ground

I am fairly new to straight razors and have a Hart Steel quarter ground 6/8. My local sharpener told me that since my facial hair is not especially coarse or dense looking, he thinks I would probably get a easier, closer shave with a full hollow ground and that stropping a full hollow is easier. I did have my eye on the Dovo Flowing 6/8".

Any thoughts on the benefits or drawbacks of quarter vs. full hollow?

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
If you are new to straight shaving every blade will give you the same subpar shave :). I would stick with one grind until shaving with it gets boring and uneventful. THEN go out and try some different grinds. The different subtle technique needed for each type is unique to that razor, and likely will be glossed over in your newness.. YMMV tho. Some people hate quarter hollows, some hate full hollows. Me, I like em all!

Full hollows tend to have a thinner bevel and more flex to the blade. This can give you a close shave with less irritation than the quarter grinds. However, the flex of the full hollow gave those razors a steeper learning curve for me. Quarter grinds can be very smooth and were easier for me to learn with.

Now I use 2/3 hollows or more about 75% of the time.

The full hollow may indeed work better for you but I feel the wedge to half hollow may be a bit more forgiving and easier to start with. Once you become more seasoned you should be able to get great shaves from them all. I like them all.

The full hollow may indeed work better for you but I feel the wedge to half hollow may be a bit more forgiving and easier to start with. Once you become more seasoned you should be able to get great shaves from them all. I like them all.
Big plus 1

My belief is jump in at the deep end, learn with that which should be more difficult, and get the technique down sooner rather than later. I took that view using Feather blades, starting out with DEs, and I suggest Full Hollow Ground as a starter blade, 5/8 or 6/8.

My belief is jump in at the deep end, learn with that which should be more difficult, and get the technique down sooner rather than later. I took that view using Feather blades, starting out with DEs, and I suggest Full Hollow Ground as a starter blade, 5/8 or 6/8.

+1 on this.

When you factor in the learning curve, once you've got the technique to use a really good full hollow down, the rest are easy.

For the basics of straight razor shaving, I see no huge difference. A properly honed razor, no matter the grind, is the key ingredient.

I have a very coarse and thick beard. That being said, I tend to prefer an extra full-hollow over the thicker grinds. For starters, a Dovo "Best Quality" full-hollow might be just the ticket. And since you already have a 6/8 or 7/8 Hart, why not pick up a Dovo in 5/8? If anything, 5/8 will augment the knowledge-of-proper-angle learning curve (read: cut factor).

+1 for diving in deep from the start, in other words.

I like the full hollow because when I strop I can tell by the sound when my technique gets a bit sloppy. I think learning the proper sound of the razor against the strop is what suddenly got me from just ok shaves to consistently good shaves.

Any thoughts on the benefits or drawbacks of quarter vs. full hollow?

This actually gets asked a lot... I think I probably asked a similar question, at some point, when I was starting out.

You will get a variety of answers so broad that the information will not really help you in any way. Somebody else says a wedge is better to start out... I say a hollow is better... etc, etc...

What it boils down to is personal preference and really nothing else. Heavy grinds and hollow grinds are different, but both are fine. You just have to try them and see what you prefer. That said... as long as what you have is shave ready, you are not going to fail just by picking one over the other to start with.

This actually gets asked a lot... I think I probably asked a similar question, at some point, when I was starting out.

You will get a variety of answers so broad that the information will not really help you in any way. Somebody else says a wedge is better to start out... I say a hollow is better... etc, etc...

What it boils down to is personal preference and really nothing else. Heavy grinds and hollow grinds are different, but both are fine. You just have to try them and see what you prefer. That said... as long as what you have is shave ready, you are not going to fail just by picking one over the other to start with.

+1. Eventually you'll want to try both and figure out your preferences.

I've a couple Old ones. Sent the 1/4 grind off and it isn't great to use...less so after I stropped it ( got worse). And it just came from the shop. I then laid out a belt with a little paste on it, stropped it and it's still underwelming when you test it on the hairs on the forearm...I have light thin hair on my arms.
Picked up the hollow ground ( untouched...100 years old ) and ran it back 'n forth on the treated strop...and my forearms are almost bare!
Are 1/4 ground razors unforgiving for rookies?

I have a couple of dozen straight razors. I have two quarter-hollow grinds and do not really like either. I much prefer full-hollow grinds. I even have one Boker extra hollow that is very thin. My favorite grind, however, is probably the bellied-hollow grind. Some people claim that it is the best grind for those with tough beards. As someone with a coarse beard, I tend to agree with them.

However, my preferences are my preferences. There are many people who prefer quarter hollow and near wedge razors. I like the thinner grinds because of the audible feedback they provide as they slice through my beard.

The only way to find out which you like is to try them. Perhaps you can find someone who is willing to loan you a razor to see if you like it.

I got in touch with the Shop that handled it. Explained the situation and they are going to reach out to a couple of their advanced customers...collectors if you would. Going to see about trading the collectable 1/4 grind for a layman's Hollow grind.
Thanks for the advice.

Biggest improvement you will find with your shaving is not grinds, shapes and sizes but rather proper technique and prep. Bed that down and the rest will go easily and effortlessly. More importantly you will be in a better experienced position to understand what grinds works better.

Different clubs will not improve a bad golfer, learn/master the skill first.

What it boils down to is personal preference and really nothing else. Heavy grinds and hollow grinds are different, but both are fine. You just have to try them and see what you prefer.

Different clubs will not improve a bad golfer, learn/master the skill first.

EDIT: Oh boy! Just realized this was a resurrected thread... It's still true though.

One grind will not provide a "better shave" simply by virtue of the grind. I have and use all grinds from full hollow to true wedge and all give a BBS shave when properly honed, properly stropped, and properly wielded. If a SR shave is sub-par, it's due to one of those three; honing (sharpness), stropping, or technique.

Are you sure it was honed well? Many "shops" sell stuff, but aren't great at maintenance work. If the razor isn't sharp (the term "razor sharp" exists because it's a whole new class of sharpness), the razor won't perform. Several members on this forum hone for either money or for fun and may be able to offer you a truly shave-ready edge.

Is your stopping technique sufficient? @MrSaltyold mentioned he "laid the belt out". But stropping on a belt laid on a tabletop is not necessarily a great method. Bench strops are mounted on blocks to provide sufficient room for the hand holding the razor while the entire edge makes flat contact with the strop. Paddle strops are meant to be used hand-held. And hanging strops should be, well, hanging. If your edge was honed by an experienced honer, then use it the first time without stropping to see what a truly sharp edge feels like. (But after that you have to strop it.)

But most important is technique. "Poor" shaves are somewhat the norm when learning to shave with a straight. Many will say it takes 30 shaves to get to the point where you get a good shave and 100 to get to the point where they are all good. Go slow. Start with cheeks only. Add more areas as confidence builds. Always maintain a shallow angle (spine no more than a spine-width off your skin).

Bottom line, you can "correct" honing by getting it honed by an experienced "honemiester". You can correct stropping with proper gear and practice. But to correct technique you have to put in the time learning/practicing.

Top Bottom