What's new

Quality work boot or shoe that is security friendly?

I have to pass through a metal detector at my job and get a once over with a wand when I leave. I bought a pair of Rockport composite toe boots that are metal detector friendly but I've had them for barely 3 months and they are cracking and the sole is starting to separate at the toe and arch. I've looked and I can't find a quality safety toe boot or shoe that is security friendly. I'm willing to spend $250 with an absolute ceiling of $300 for a durable comfortable work boot or shoe. Also I wear a 13 2E(or W) boot/shoe. Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction? Thanks!

Doctor Martens. They cost less than you're willing to pay.
11821006.jpg

No problem. I looked at Doc Martins in the past just for a regular/casual wear shoe/boot but they never had the stuff I liked in wide widths. If I try to wear regular width shoes its like wearing a vise on my feet.

Here is the mother load :)

No Metal Boots

Thanks. I found the Rockport boots through a similar site's list like that. $114 for boots that are falling apart in under 3 months and I might get 2 or 3 more before they are no longer viable. I'm considering the Ariats for $189 on the site you linked but am very leery as I can't find much in the way of reviews on them. I hate that boots and shoes are such rip offs now.

I tend to agree, for the most part, yet there are still good boots out there. I posted the link to show what's put there and not to promote that shop. They have a huge selection and a lot should be available to you locally to try. I suggest going to an actual boot shop that specialize in them, if you have one. Ask questions. Ask what sells. Ask what doesn't.

I say that because I grew tired of the same issues you've experienced. I finally found what works for me and I'm all set but I don't have the same requirements and can't make an honest suggestion for all composite boots.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if your looking specifically for non steel toes, but in my experience of wearing boots for many years, I will only buy made in the US boots anymore, as most of the cheaper imported stuff is simply junk, and will wear out quickly with hard use. I prefer Wesco, and White's boots, but they are a bit more than your price range, but if you do some homework, you can find returns, and seconds with a big discount. Another boot I'd highly recommend, is Thorogood boots. They make many models, and are USA made. I have a pair of their wedge sole boots, and they are fantastic, and were under $200 dollars. There is nothing better than happy feet when your working, and sometimes its better to bite the bullet and pay up for a pair that will give you ultimate comfort, and something that you can resole, or rebuild at a later time, rather than to throw them out, and buy another pair. Good luck with your search.

Canadian made boots are an excellent alternative if you're not partial to Made in USA, as well. Typically, it's the companies that have outsourced their manufacturing, overseas, that one should heed caution. That is not to say all, however. There are terrible Made in Canada boots, there are terrible Made in USA boots, and all that.. There are also excellent Made in China boots out there. Red Wing USA are rugged but the don't offer what you seek. Red Wings made in China are hit and miss. Check for companies who still manufacture their own, is my advice.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
I've heard good things about Chippewa boots, which are right in your price range. Duluth Trading Company also has a MUSA boot a little over 200 bucks that looks well rated. Or you could try to catch a pair Red Wings on sale.

My limited experience with boots is Red Wings. Very well made and recraftable when necessary. Breakin takes about 50 miles but once done they are extremely comfortable. I have very wide feet and found no issues on sizing.

I'm not sure if your looking specifically for non steel toes, but in my experience of wearing boots for many years, I will only buy made in the US boots anymore, as most of the cheaper imported stuff is simply junk, and will wear out quickly with hard use. I prefer Wesco, and White's boots, but they are a bit more than your price range, but if you do some homework, you can find returns, and seconds with a big discount. Another boot I'd highly recommend, is Thorogood boots. They make many models, and are USA made. I have a pair of their wedge sole boots, and they are fantastic, and were under $200 dollars. There is nothing better than happy feet when your working, and sometimes its better to bite the bullet and pay up for a pair that will give you ultimate comfort, and something that you can resole, or rebuild at a later time, rather than to throw them out, and buy another pair. Good luck with your search.

I think the Throrogood model 804-4456 is what I'll try next. Its not made in the USA but it looks much better than the boots I have now and for about 50 bucks more and meets all my other needs.

Men's Thorogood 6" Composite Toe WP Metal Free Work Boot 804-4456: MidwestBoots.com

I have to wear safety toes at work. We just came up on our yearly free pair. I picked up a pair of Keens. I've never worn their safety shoes before, but I like their hiking shoes. I don't have the box in front of me, but I'm pretty sure they are composite toe.

Thanks. I found the Rockport boots through a similar site's list like that. $114 for boots that are falling apart in under 3 months and I might get 2 or 3 more before they are no longer viable. I'm considering the Ariats for $189 on the site you linked but am very leery as I can't find much in the way of reviews on them. I hate that boots and shoes are such rip offs now.
While I cant speak to their work boots, Ariat makes great western boots. My daily wear boots are 12 years old and have been thru pasture and prairie.

It should be noted that composite toes aren't necessarily airport friendly. Most composite toes have steel shanks and metal eyelets. The boot should be entirely metal free. Have you settled on anything yet @Fiend606 ?

Last edited:
Ah okay, saw you were thinking about them earlier but was just wondering if there was decision. Just curious. I have to wear safety boots, so I like knowing the options that are out there, is all.

Cheers

I technically don't have to wear safety toe boots BUT I work in an area handling packages that are over 4 feet long and/or 70 to 150 pounds. We handle about 10%(more like 13%) of a sort and a sort ranges between 27,000 and 32,000 packages a night but those numbers will be increasing for the holidays. If I didn't wear safety toe I'd have a broken toes or a broken foot right now and be out of work again because one of the morons I work with ran over my foot with a cart(weighing about 600 pounds) being towed by a tugger. My co-workers drop something on their feet and hop around like nuts a couple times a week and then limp for awhile. I'd rather shell out the money and not have to worry about broken toes/feet. Besides , in previous jobs I was required to wear steel toes and am just used to wearing safety boots to work. I feel better protecting myself even if the company doesn't require it and I feel in the circumstances that safety shoes should be mandatory but that isn't my call so I'll just take care of myself. I'm also keeping my eyes open for better job opportunities so its not like the boots won't get used if I change jobs.

Top Bottom