What's new

Quality Leather Belts?

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I purchased a very nice casual belt from Popov Leather. Good price and perfect for jeans.

For dress belts I like Coach and Allen Edmunds (I do have a Coach belt that is too stiff for my liking, but seems to last forever). I did get a pretty nice belt from a Johnson & Murphy outlet at an attractive sale price years ago. It's a black dress belt, so I have not had a chance to wear it out - but still looks good.

I make my own. It is quite easy to make high quality belts with very few tools. Filson makes the finest belt I have ever purchased Previously.
I make my own belts as well. You're definitely right about only needing a few tools that won't break the bank, and for those that haven't worked with leather, it's great and easy starting point.
I've been wearing the same belt every day for the last 14 years and it's still going strong.

The Equus leather belts are very nice. I have one a kind person bought me about 30 years ago and it still looks fantastic, with just two or three treatments with a light wax mixture over the decades. However, I think you do pay for the name to some extent.
Another narrower belt I had made for me about 20 years ago by a UK-based firm called Beaver Bushcraft is of equally good quality (the hand stitching is wonderful) and cost a fair bit less. Cheaper again (about £40) but also of excellent quality is my newest belt, made by Awl by Hand, a very small business based in Northumberland. They had a stand at an agricultural show I attended, and it was nice to talk to them about the stitching they use, and the leather — good bridle quality stuff, properly tanned, not split and plastic coated rubbish. Well tanned leather can improve with age, given a little care, but split leather just looks worse and worse, then fails.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
All my best longest lasting belts were bought by local type craftsmen.

Unfortunately they have all seemed to shrink in the last year since I've retired!

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
All my best longest lasting belts were bought by local type craftsmen.

Unfortunately they have all seemed to shrink in the last year since I've retired!

I have this problem as well. I think it's the body building shampoo - it runs over everything as I rinse.

I have always enjoyed doing business where it matters to the owner. No doubt that is true of many already mentioned. Here is another fellow located in Mississippi that I had make up my belt and a few others for those I know. That was some years ago now and with no care at all mine has been a terrific purchase.

Here is his site: Belts - http://bigrobsgunleather.weebly.com/belts.html

Now, having seen this picture I am off to treat it properly with some leather preservative!

IMG_2259.jpeg

Last edited:

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I have always enjoyed doing business where it matters to the owner. No doubt that is true of many already mentioned. Here is another fellow located in Mississippi that I had make up my belt and a few others for those I know. That was some years ago now and with no care at all mine has been a terrific purchase.

Here is his site: Belts - http://bigrobsgunleather.weebly.com/belts.html

Now, having seen this picture I am off to treat it properly with some leather preservative!

View attachment 1045651
This is our (former?, haven't seen him around for some time now) member Eaglestroker. Rob Dorris has made me four superb belts, and nothing else I have seen, and handled, comes near them! Thanks for posting this, I can now contact him and get another one or two, due to my recent weight loss, they are a bit long now for me.

This thread made me think to myself about my my brown belt that was probably bought a little over a year ago in the Pentagon, when inexplicably my belt was suddenly missing a buckle. I was going to need a belt for the day, so I walked into the small clothier there and asked for a brown leather belt. There is a small rack, little selection, and mismatched brands in there at the time. The woman was a little concerned because it priced in at (probably just under $80) and I guess some other customers had complained of price. I looked at the belt and it looked like good leather, good thickness, didn't seem like the buckle was going to be suddenly missing when I pulled my gym bag.

To this day I have no idea what the brand it is so I can not recommend it, but it is a fantastic belt. It looks good in a suit, works in jeans, and I wish I had another one in black. I would probably take an additional in brown. I have no doubt i will get a few decades of use out of it, even if I can't find another.

If you guys ever get to tossing an old belt and it has a nice buckle, cut the leather and keep the buckle. If you ever get a nice belt that has rivets that can be removed with a screwdriver you can swap buckles if you wish very easily.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I always buy my leather belts from the same company that also makes the shoes. Almost all mid to high-end shoemakers offer matching belts, too. And it looks extremely nice when shoes and belt match perfectly in leather, colour and design.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I always buy my leather belts from the same company that also makes the shoes. Almost all mid to high-end shoemakers offer matching belts, too. And it looks extremely nice when shoes and belt match perfectly in leather, colour and design.
I used to do that sometimes but then I found Equus Leather and don't buy leather belts anywhere else.

I generally find that if brown shoes and belt are "close" in shade then that works very well.

Top Bottom