What's new

Quality Denim/Blue Jeans

I've been happy with jeans I've purchased from Gustin. They weren't nearly as expensive as other raw denim brands and measuring an existing pair of jeans that fit well with their provided measurements made it easy to get the size & cut that I wanted. I've not found them to require much in the way of special care - to the contrary, it's just been wear and wash on occasion, though less of the latter than when I'd had other jeans.

I worked for Wrangler and despite that, I like their jeans. But the $8 jeans at Rural Kang are hard to beat and my wife worked in Product Development for the largest denim manufacturer in the US. She gave them her approval.

My experience with Levi's 501 shrink-to-fit is to buy them true to size in the waist and a size larger in length. Soak them for one hour in the hottest water you can tolerate and then let them drip dry. I get a perfect fit every time.

I've heard that wearing them while wet can cause baggy knees in the jeans so I've stayed away from that technique.

I've been happy with jeans I've purchased from Gustin. They weren't nearly as expensive as other raw denim brands and measuring an existing pair of jeans that fit well with their provided measurements made it easy to get the size & cut that I wanted. I've not found them to require much in the way of special care - to the contrary, it's just been wear and wash on occasion, though less of the latter than when I'd had other jeans.

I've ordered another pair, due in the next month or so. Following their fit/measuring instructions worked out very well on the pair i bought in 2017, worn but yet to be washed.

Gave up on Levi's as their lengths in the styles i like aren't anywhere long enough, not an issue with the Gustins. Shipping and Canadian taxes & handling charges added another almost $60cdn to the cost of the first pair, the second pair's added charges will be more as shipping went from $23 - $30US and the jean was a more expensive product, the Canadian charges are based on all of Gustin's charges. Such is life.
dave

My experience with Levi's 501 shrink-to-fit is to buy them true to size in the waist and a size larger in length. Soak them for one hour in the hottest water you can tolerate and then let them drip dry. I get a perfect fit every time.

I've heard that wearing them while wet can cause baggy knees in the jeans so I've stayed away from that technique.

I'll have to look into these as well. I did order some more Lucky jeans because they were buy one, get on half off.

Eventually, you may be able to get made-in-the-USA jeans.

Interesting. I didn't realize that was Jocko Willink...I'll have to keep an eye for these. I went to his website and it's full of USA made clothing.

I've ordered another pair, due in the next month or so. Following their fit/measuring instructions worked out very well on the pair i bought in 2017, worn but yet to be washed.

Gave up on Levi's as their lengths in the styles i like aren't anywhere long enough, not an issue with the Gustins. Shipping and Canadian taxes & handling charges added another almost $60cdn to the cost of the first pair, the second pair's added charges will be more as shipping went from $23 - $30US and the jean was a more expensive product, the Canadian charges are based on all of Gustin's charges. Such is life.
dave

I've been on Gustin's site many times. Glad to hear a few have had experience with it. They have some nice jeans on there.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Interesting. I didn't realize that was Jocko Willink...I'll have to keep an eye for these. I went to his website and it's full of USA made clothing.

Well, that's not Jocko. (But Jocko is connected to Origin Maine in some form or another.)

Here's the backstory ... the origin-origin-story, if you will ... of Origin Maine, on the Jocko Podcast.

I used to spend $100+ dollars on jeans like it was nothing, but no more. My Levi's 501s are bulletproof despite being made in Mexico, but the real winners, for me, are Old Navy and American Eagle. ON continues to make some of the most comfortable jeans I've ever worn and AE is great if you don't mind the stretch fabric. Wranglers also makes some nice jeans for a tight budget. The cowboy cut offers more "room", if you catch my drift, plus adds an extra element of style.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Wranglers also makes some nice jeans for a tight budget. The cowboy cut offers more "room", if you catch my drift ...

You mean there's fat cowboys?

proxy.php

Levi's have a 2 year warranty. You should be able to return or exchange them.

Levi's jeans are available in many cuts and stretch fit (not as bad as it sounds.. it's 99% cotton) so if you are difficult to fit, that may be a better option. I think 541 stretch may be a better option for you.

You could also try mtailor. They custom make jeans based on a body scan using your phone.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

I'm a big boy at 6'4" and about 270. Unless they change them I'll never quit the Duluth Ballroom jeans. No more plumbers butt crack or squashed balls.

Levi's have a 2 year warranty. You should be able to return or exchange them.

Levi's jeans are available in many cuts and stretch fit (not as bad as it sounds.. it's 99% cotton) so if you are difficult to fit, that may be a better option. I think 541 stretch may be a better option for you.

You could also try mtailor. They custom make jeans based on a body scan using your phone.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Never even heard of the 541...I'll look into them. I'm getting used to stretch fit. I didn't realized until I received the Lucky Brand jeans I ordered were stretch and I've been wearing them. They're actually really comfortable. Comfort is priority, but longevity is right up there with [if not next to] comfort. Thank you!

I'm a big boy at 6'4" and about 270. Unless they change them I'll never quit the Duluth Ballroom jeans. No more plumbers butt crack or squashed balls.

Frog eyes are bad!

Never even heard of the 541...I'll look into them. I'm getting used to stretch fit. I didn't realized until I received the Lucky Brand jeans I ordered were stretch and I've been wearing them. They're actually really comfortable. Comfort is priority, but longevity is right up there with [if not next to] comfort. Thank you!

I beg you to reconsider. take the extreme case... would you rather have comfortable jeans that last a couple of years or uncomfortable jeans that last 10 years? The Levi's will last a few years.

I've been very pleased with the Arizona Jeans sold at J.C. Penney. Unfortunately they don't have as many stores as they used to.

You can currently get American made jeans for sixty bucks.

Dearborn Denim - American made and from American materials. They're all I buy now. I have three pair in various washes and were I to wear jeans more regularly I would have more.

I live close to the L.C. King factory. I wore Pointer jean's, overalls, and barn coats for years. They used to be reasonably priced. Not so much anymore according to their website. I don't know who is buying them at their MSRP prices. It's certainly not the farmers and construction workers I used to see wearing it. I used to be able to buy Pointer clothing at several stores and saw people wearing it regularly. Neither of that applies now.

I just looked at their website. It looks like they are changing their Pointer Brand logo to a LC King logo. I hate to see that dog go.

Last edited:
Top Bottom