What's new

Quality Coffee on a Budget

The Chemex is very bulky as you can see but it is the finest in control I have used and was really surprised to see that it pours better than my Takahiro kettle. I am under the understanding that the kettles are hand blown so I don't know if they all pour as nicely or not. Again it is bulky, although the weight is evenly distributed.

I need to clarify this post about the Takahiro. Until today I had never used it with more water than needed for a single serving of coffee for myself. But after using it nearly full, I believe it does have the edge on my Chemex Kettle in control., While they are very close, neither qualify as coffee on a budget kettles.

Although they may not be budget, they are still cool to read about lol. I'm still working through the coffee you sent me Scott. I broke open the Costa Rica this morning and it was amazing! Using bottled water instead of faucet, as well as cleaning out my coffee maker has made a big difference in quality. I am also pre heating my water on the stove, which has improved the end result as well. Still trying to convince the lady of the house to let me roast some beans in the garage. But until that happens, I will most likely be grabbing coffee from my local roasting house.

Its easier to ask forgiveness than get permission :lol:
Besides once she smells the wonderful aroma of fresh roasting beans she will be putty in your hands. Well if she likes coffee that is.

Its easier to ask forgiveness than get permission :lol:
Besides once she smells the wonderful aroma of fresh roasting beans she will be putty in your hands. Well if she likes coffee that is.

I hate to contradict you .......but....... :001_smile

My last back to back of 4 origins produced so much smoke that the wife was running around the house closing windows and I roast outside.

Good coffee is real stinky when roasted, not like the finished beans smell

Hard to take a pic of smoke but this should give you an idea

proxy.php

I have a HotTop as well and a Behmor too.
He will be using a popcorn popper so the smoke will be not nearly as heavy. Quit scaring the poor man. :lol:

I don't have the HotTop, but the Behmor doesn't smoke too much if you stop at the 2nd crack. Now, if you go into the second crack more than 10s, ya, there's smoke.

Also, note, even though there isn't "smoke" there's enough carbon being offput by the Behmor that it will set off fire alarms in doors.
I do agree with you on the smoke from those machines but he is starting with a popcorn popper . He won't likely be hitting second crack and his bean weight will be 3-4 0z max.
But just for the sake of argument here is my garage after using a Hottop with 10oz of Yemen hitting second crack and having been dumped for a few moments.
$IMG_9709.jpg

Last edited:
Should I be taking batteries out of my fire alarms before I try this?:laugh: I have also contemplated the hot air gun method as I already have one.

Umm yes Take the batteries out if there is a smoke detector in the garage or cover it til done. If you have a heat gun I would use that method before spending money on a hot air popper. You can actually roast more beans per batch. Make sure you continuously agitate the beans.

Top Bottom