What's new

Quality Coffee on a Budget

Thanks Kevin. The Chemex kettle although a sweet piece of kit is pure overkill. All you need is the carafe, filters, and a kettle with a spout you can pour slow from. I don't think the coffee is any better than from one of the little drippers like a Hario V60 or similar personally.

I think this is it:

Babbie's Rule of Fifteens:

• Green (unroasted) coffee beans should be roasted within 15 months, or they go stale.
  • Roasted coffee beans should be ground within 15 days, or they go stale.
  • Ground coffee should be used within 15 minutes, or it goes stale.
  • Extracted coffee should be served within 15 seconds.

I don't think the coffee is any better than from one of the little drippers like a Hario V60 or similar personally.

Hario filters will fit in a Chemex and Chemex filters will fit in a Hario.

It is the filter that makes the difference as I have switched filters and can get the same smooth Chemex taste using either brewer (Hario or Chemex).

To my meager taste buds anyway :001_smile

Thought Iposted earlier, but maybe not. Coupla things... If you look for a hot air popper make sure you get one with metal on the bottem of the popping chamber. I've been told that the plastic ones can be dangerous. I have two "Popcorn Pumper" units that do a fine job. The latest one came from eBay. 2. Let the beans rest overnight before you use them. They're are their best after about 12 hours and will last a week or so. 3. Get a burr grinder. 4. I've read the things about no freezing my roasted beans but still do it and don't really taste a difference as long a they're pretty well sealed and the air has been removed. 4. Enjoy! Stick with the beans while you're roasting. They can easily be overdone once they hit 2nd crack. 5. I've found Sweet Marias to be a great resource but a bit pricey. Lately I've been using "Captain's Coffee." (No affiliation.) I'll have to check out the Green Coffee site posted earlier. Cheers! Jerry

Thanks for the advice jerry! I will be shopping around for both a hot air popper as well as a nice burr grinder. I can't wait to get some roasting underway, but will not rush in to avoid a bad purchase.

I was actually thinking of this thread this morning when i broke out the Chemex for a wonderful cup of fresh brewed coffee.
View attachment 418205

That Chemex glass kettle is nice! How do you like using it for pourovers? I have wanted one but already have too many kettles.

I make an expresso every morning with fresh beans from a local roaster. I also get my regular coffee beans from the local roaster and they are very good. I use French press, pour over, and my Cuisenart drip machine. Home drip makers do not get hot enough on their own. You can, however, help them along with a few tricks. Here's what I do: 1) Pour hot water into the carafe to warm 2) heat up a kettle full of water to 150-160* 3) Grind the proper amount of beans (many different methods, but I use approximately 7.5g per 6ozx cup) 3) pour the number of cups of hot water in your coffee maker from the kettle. 4) Brew. The output temp is a good bit higher than from a cold machine and the coffee is much smoother and tastier. Also, when I make a full French press, I pour whatever doesn't fit in the first cup(s) into a warmed thermal carafe. If not, the coffee will continue to brew and taste dramatically different than the first cup. There is also the rule of 15. Ground beans stale in 15 minutes, fresh beans stale in 15 days, and green beans stale in 15 weeks (or something like that?)

So, on a budget, I'd heat up the Mr. Coffee and spend money on some good beans first. Next would be the grinder (most important piece of equipment for coffee) and when you feel you've gotten everything out of that, decide on your next type of maker. Good Luck!

You read my mind. I wanted to ask if anyone had tried pre-heating water before putting it into their generic auto-drip brewer. I believe most machines recommend using water at room temperature or directly from the tap, but there is a wide temperature swing between winter and summer water temperatures in many places. This adds an extra step to the coffee brewing process, but if it helps it would be worth it.

lol, that lady looks like she is still recovering from a late night drinking session.

That Chemex glass kettle is nice! How do you like using it for pourovers? I have wanted one but already have too many kettles.

The Chemex is very bulky as you can see but it is the finest in control I have used and was really surprised to see that it pours better than my Takahiro kettle. I am under the understanding that the kettles are hand blown so I don't know if they all pour as nicely or not. Again it is bulky, although the weight is evenly distributed.

The Chemex is very bulky as you can see but it is the finest in control I have used and was really surprised to see that it pours better than my Takahiro kettle. I am under the understanding that the kettles are hand blown so I don't know if they all pour as nicely or not. Again it is bulky, although the weight is evenly distributed.
Nice. That is saying a lot if it pours better than your Takahiro.

I have wanted one but already have too many kettles.
you really should get one, the coffee rivals french press!
That's what i'm using weekends, when i have more time - a real delish! As always, the trick is to grind the beans just before you make the coffee. Boil the water and let it cool for maybe 2 minutes before you pour. I transfer the coffee into a Nissan insulated carafe, Chemex cools down rather fast. Chemex filters are really handy (the square ones), i buy them from Sweet Maria

That aeropress and hario grinder looks pretty cool. Definitely something to consider.

Yes the Aeropress is wonderful. I just ordered another 350 filters, that makes about 1050 cups of coffee out of my Aeropress!! I have a Hario grinder for camping/bike traveling, works great. I have a Bodum burr grinder for home, easier to just push a button, but it would put you over budget. I make 1 or 2 16 oz. cups per day. I use 2 scoops and fill to the 2 line, press, and fill the cup up with hot water. I usually buy my beans from Costco, but would like to try roasting my own some day.

I'm no coffee expert, but I love my Aeropress. I used a Bodum French press before I got the Aeropress, and the Aeropress is easier and taste better to me. Good luck!

Without violating any forum rules, I noticed that a certain gooseneck kettle is being cleared out on sale at a certain coffee website that has a lot of informative videos. Should help with coffee on a budget.

Good kettle and coffee retailer. I wonder if Bonavita has reduced wholesale prices, as there was massdrop.com offer at a good price in February, but this one is even better.

Top Bottom