What's new

QUALITY cartridge company?

Noticed an ad on Yahoo for a company called Harry's. Looks like they're trying to offer the convenience/low cost of Dollar Shave Club (they only sell cartridges) while also attempting to profit from the recent spike in popularity of wet shaving by emphasizing the quality of their blades and offering skin care/protective products, which, as we all know is a HUGE part of the wet shaving process.

Am I right, or am I just crazy? Probably both.

But let me know your thoughts on this anyways. Anyone have any experience with this company? Again, to me it's a cartridge-based company trying to profit off of the wet shaving community.

I've seen the pop-up ad, but I've never clicked on it. I'm not interested in their product. It might be the best cartridge razor in the world for all I know.

I am not a user, but I seem to recall that Harry's has gotten some OK press here. Search for it and see what you get. Can't be any worse than Gillette for cost. Not sure how it compares to Dollar Shave Club.

I have heard radio ads for Harrys on the local Tampa Bay radio market. I heard one of the syndicated talk-jocks pitching them (he is based locally) and for a minute, I thought about calling him and educating him, (including plugging B&B) but then I realized that he is a paid shill and my call never would have made air time.

It's funny, I actually bought a Harry's razor (the pretty chrome one) and three cartridges succumbing to the harassing ads I was seeing everywhere and I was ticked off at cartridge prices since I needed to reload. I started web searching them in a "what did I just do?" state of panic and found all the articles about wet shaving with DEs. I ordered a badger brush and EJ DE89 before the Harry's stuff even arrived and I've never used it. I'll take it with me on my Thanksgiving trip and give it a try.

I wonder how many people the DSC and Harry's campaigns are pulling in to traditional wet shaving? They're spending all the marketing dollars, opening people's eyes, and leading them to an even better solution than what they're selling. I know that's how I got here.

I wonder how many people the DSC and Harry's campaigns are pulling in to traditional wet shaving? They're spending all the marketing dollars, opening people's eyes, and leading them to an even better solution than what they're selling. I know that's how I got here.

That's how I got here too. I was already wet shaving, but using a Mach3. I looked at the Harry's ads, thought about it for a couple of weeks, and then went further down the rabbit hole.

I wasn't particularly concerned with the costs of Sensor twin cartridges when I came in (back again) for more than one traditional shave a week, and five rushed shaves with Edge Gel. I'm still not worried enough about it to seek any cartridges I cannot get at local brick & mortar establishments.

I continue using either a Sensor or a Schick FX as part of the cleanup touch-up process for the patches of whiskers with random growth patterns that tend to defeat the classic razors.

I have a Harry's. I liked it on my first few shaves. Ultimately I seem to have trouble with the "plastic hinge" method of floating the cartridge. As the blade dulls, and as my face became more acclimated to it, it seemed to skip some areas of my face. That is I had some light stubble after finishing a three pass shave.

I stopped using it as my daily driver, going back to a Schick Quattro. I try to use the Harry's once every week or two, often only for the first pass. It seems to work OK when it isn't my daily driver.

This is truly a YMMV. Others may acclimate to the unusual "hinge" and be just fine with it.

I bought a Harry's kit. The carts have too many blades (tough to shave tricky areas like under the nose). The cream isn't very good...goops up the cart and is difficult to rinse. I contacted Harry's to return the kit. They refunded my money and told me to keep it. I couldn't find anyone who wanted to try the razor, so I tossed it.

I went with DSC for over a year to save money, then read about DE shaving and started trying it out. I think the Dorco carts (what DSC sells) are pretty good, but their best product IMHO is the three blade cart, readily available from Amazon but not a DSC option. Interestingly, I've noticed Dorco carts sold as store brand at two different chains now.

It's funny, I actually bought a Harry's razor (the pretty chrome one) and three cartridges succumbing to the harassing ads I was seeing everywhere and I was ticked off at cartridge prices since I needed to reload. I started web searching them in a "what did I just do?" state of panic and found all the articles about wet shaving with DEs. I ordered a badger brush and EJ DE89 before the Harry's stuff even arrived and I've never used it. I'll take it with me on my Thanksgiving trip and give it a try.

This right here is what happened to me

IMHO, Harry's has great style and marketing, nice handles, meh blades, and awful shave cream. The blades are far too floppy, have too many blades, and rusted for me after a few uses (something not even the most inexpensive DG brand disposable or DE blade would do).

Top Bottom