What's new

Quality Bourbon in the $30-40 range

Recently, I've decided to begin building up a nice bar. Most of my drinking life I've been a beer man but would drink the cheap stuff. My only real experiences with buying liquor were when we'd shotgun natural lights and chase it w/ shots of Mr. Boston's Vodka (ahh, the college days :tongue_sm).
Anyway, I'd like to start my bar off with a nice bottle of Bourbon. This will be for drinking straight of course (no beer chasers) so I'd like to get something a bit better than Jim Beam. I had a friend who was a friend of Woodford Reserve but I've never gotten the chance to try a pour. Any suggestions?

I would say before you invest in a bottle spend the few bucks at a bar and try a bunch of stuff to see what is to your liking. Cause well ya never know you might be a scotch or brandy guy not a bourbon.

Knob Creek, Elija Craig 18yo (12yo is okay, but 18yo is worth it if you're willing to spend for it), Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare, 1792.

Woodford Reserve is not bad, but I just think it's overrated.

I know Maker's Mark doesn't get much respect anymore, mainly b/c they do so much advertising and stuff like that, but I still think they make a quality product which I enjoy when I'm wanting a sip of something on the sweet side. I always thought the bottle looked nice on the bar/counter too, especially around the Holidays.

You guys are a bad influence on me. I ran out to the store and the manager asked me what I was looking for. Asked him where the bourbons were and then saw them about 6 feet away. Oddly enough, they had Knob Creek on special, so it's sitting on my counter now.

I know Maker's Mark doesn't get much respect anymore, mainly b/c they do so much advertising and stuff like that, but I still think they make a quality product

Thank you sir!

I'm a Maker's Mark Ambassador, been one for years now. Just went to Kentucky this past April for the Thoroughbreds and Redheads Weekend, and to get bottles from my barrel. GREAT TIME!
I feel that Maker's changed the paradigm for quality bourbon. It is now the bourbon located in many bar speed rails, the standard was raised, not by the industry, but by one specific product with a helluva Marketing and PR Dept. Oh Yeah....AND A GREAT BOURBON!
I've had the opportunity to meet Mr. Samuels, and quite a few people in his employ. Good people, passionate about good bourbon, and they make a fine product.
Come on people, show Maker's some love!!!

Glad to see some bourbon lovers here. I grew up thinking Makers wasn't anything special, because it is made about 45 miles from where I grew up. Now that I am in my 40's, I find myself keeping a bottle in the bar at all times. My special treat bourbon is currently Four Roses. Comes in single barrel and a square bottle. Both are a wonderful, but different taste. I recommend you keep sampling. YMMV

It may have already been mentioned but you'd do yourself a disservice by overlooking Jim Beam.. Excellent bourbon especially the "Black" and "Choice" lines...

It may have already been mentioned but you'd do yourself a disservice by overlooking Jim Beam.. Excellent bourbon especially the "Black" and "Choice" lines...

Beam has a very distinct flavor profile. Personally I can't stand anything that comes from that distillery (including all of their top shelf offerings). Beam obviously has it's fans, but in my research it has more detractors.

In the process of checking out Beam, also check out the other major distillery, Wild Turkey. Same prices and IMO a much, much better line of products.

I worked in bars for many years as a bouncer and a bartender. My after hours drink of choice was Maker's straight out of the bottle and (this may get me teased) an ice cold bottle of San Pelligrino mineral water.

The mineral water was a perfect palate cleanser and very refreshing! That brings back some great memories. I may get some of this after work today.

Ever since my senior year in High School, I just can't handle Bourbon, though I hear Knob Creek is pretty much the top in Rye...

Ever since my senior year in High School, I just can't handle Bourbon, though I hear Knob Creek is pretty much the top in Rye...

Hahaha. I have that same problem with vodka. I'd hate to have your problem though, with vodka at least I'm not missing much.

As good as Maker's Mark is, I wish that the first time I peeled back the wax I hadn't found a screw top under there. I'd feel a lot better about displaying (having on the counter next to other whiskey) open bottles of MM if they weren't the only ones with screw tops other than the Jaeger. And it's a PLASTIC top. Come on guys.

GB

Beam has a very distinct flavor profile. Personally I can't stand anything that comes from that distillery (including all of their top shelf offerings). Beam obviously has it's fans, but in my research it has more detractors.

In the process of checking out Beam, also check out the other major distillery, Wild Turkey. Same prices and IMO a much, much better line of products.
Oops.. Forgot something in my original post...

"YMMV"

There... :wink:

I don't want to be an *** here but for those of you who suggested Jack Daniel's and Gentleman Jack, while they are both something I really enjoy, they are not bourbon.

A bourbon cannot by definition have any flavour added to it; what makes Tennesee Whiskey different from Bourbon is that it is filtered through charcoal (from maple I think) which changes the taste, and that's why you will never see the word "Bourbon" on a Jack Daniel's bottle.

That being said, if you don't have a bottle yet go get one and it will be perfect among your bourbon bottles, except it will probably won't last as long.

Top Bottom