What's new

Qshave futur clone review after 1st use

got that Qshave parthenon v2.0 somewhere in a drawer but haven't tried it yet, need to give it a go

but its hard to skip my Rockwell since I got the best shaves out of it 😁

I think I fixed it, Blade exposure is now the same. Rotated the head as per fixs recommanded in Démolition post. I checked the how to clean Qshave video on you tube. Took about 2 mins the whole process no tools needed. Tomorrow will be the test, take 2 with the razor. I'll give my neck a day off. ( Actually im in the morning and theres nothing to shave haha, that was so close yesterday)

It is quite an aggressive razor. And you went with @3. No wonder you got lot of irritation and a few nicks. And you didn't mention what was the blade. That razor loves medium to mild blades. Also you metioned it was a soap you never used before. Not a good idea.

I have one of these, not sure if it is the same or not, cause I know Qshave and MingShi both put out clones (unless those two are the same razors with different names), but I find the razor to be extremely smooth. I really enjoy using it. I have it loaded up right now, and, in fact, used it just last night.

It should not be more aggressive on one side than the other. Sometimes I have to load the blade more than once because I can tell it is unevenly loaded the first time.
Qshave is just a marketing name, not a manufacturer. The razors of different manufacturers are sold under the Qshave name. There is only one Futur clone, which is the Ming Shi 2000. If you look for example on AliExpress, it is sold under a dozen names, including Qshave.

It is quite an aggressive razor. And you went with @3. No wonder you got lot of irritation and a few nicks. And you didn't mention what was the blade. That razor loves medium to mild blades. Also you metioned it was a soap you never used before. Not a good idea.
I agree, but biggest problem was the "3" wasnt a real "3". I went with Astra sp. Now exposure is even on both sides but I'll start lower to not repeat the irritation.

It was my first DE razor and a revelation for me at the time. It got me hooked with the first shave.

I also used it for my first head shave. I put it on 9, because I there was a good amount of hair to shave off. I was almost done when I just about scalped myself! 😁

It's a nice razor but I hardly ever use it anymore.

There is only one Futur clone, which is the Ming Shi 2000. If you look for example on AliExpress, it is sold under a dozen names, including Qshave.
Nope. The Ming Shi is sold under several brands. I have 3 or 4 Ming Shi 2000S. But there is a different razor by a different manufacturer sold under the River Lake brand. At first look they look the same but you start comparing and they are different. Even the gaps at every number are smaller on the River Lake. Also some differences in the mold (the head, the handle etc.) Sorry about the bad photo. The numerals are different font, size and colour. The 4 slits at the bottom of the heads are smaller on the River Lake. The left two razors are 2 varieties of the Ming Shi, the right one is the River Lake. I bought 2 River Lakes and they are consistently different from the Ming Shi.

IMG_20200706_165408.jpg

Nope. The Ming Shi is sold under several brands. I have 3 or 4 Ming Shi 2000S. But there is a different razor by a different manufacturer sold under the River Lake brand. At first look they look the same but you start comparing and they are different. Even the gaps at every number are smaller on the River Lake. Also some differences in the mold (the head, the handle etc.) Sorry about the bad photo. The numerals are different font, size and colour. The 4 slits at the bottom of the heads are smaller on the River Lake. The left two razors are 2 varieties of the Ming Shi, the right one is the River Lake. I bought 2 River Lakes and they are consistently different from the Ming Shi.

View attachment 1122337
Interesting, are those on setting 0.5?

Alright, after my 2nd shave with the Razor, back to what Im used: no irritation, no nicks, no BBS.
Dialed down to 0.5, used same Astra sp blade and used preshave oil this time. Been more prudent with 0.5 but even after the fix I did to the razor there was still a side more agressive than the other so cant tell how my 0.5 agressive side is compared to a normal Qshave razor.
Because of the defect this will definitely not become my daily driver but I'll keep testing it.

Guess I should count myself lucky to have a good one, without alignment issues (or any other issues for that matter). I also own the original Futur and that one has an even bigger head. But if you buy a Futur you're basically almost guaranteed to not have flaws. They're both good razors.

Guess I should count myself lucky to have a good one, without alignment issues (or any other issues for that matter). I also own the original Futur and that one has an even bigger head. But if you buy a Futur you're basically almost guaranteed to not have flaws. They're both good razors.
Yeah I see the potential. Dont think I'll buy another soon thought. Futur is bigger wow.

today is qshave day, bought the futur clone several weeks ago just because I'm curious about it but haven't tried it yet, so I'll reckon to give it a try today and see how this goes?

Let's us know how it goes!
Had a relatively good shave with it loaded with a Gillette silver blue on setting 2 and 1 maybe I could have cranked it up to 3 on the first pass but I'd rather be safe then sorry 😄 the only two issues I encountered is finding the right angle since its completely different from my Rockwell and the narrow handle can be a bit slippery for $20 its actually a pretty decent razor but can't compare it with my favourite razor the 6C, if this shaves approximately the same then the original futur I wouldn't cough up 80 euro for it and get the qshave

You seriously paid $20 for it? Total ripoff. They are available on ebay for ~8 dollars with free shipping and on aliexpress for around $10.
Regarding the GSB. I have said it before. Almost 3 years of use of Ming Shi 2000s behind my belt and more than 50 blades tried in it. This razor doesn't shine with very sharp blades (even on low settings). Medium or low sharpness on higher settings are best for it.

You seriously paid $20 for it? Total ripoff. They are available on ebay for ~8 dollars with free shipping and on aliexpress for around $10.
Regarding the GSB. I have said it before. Almost 3 years of use of Ming Shi 2000s behind my belt and more than 50 blades tried in it. This razor doesn't shine with very sharp blades (even on low settings). Medium or low sharpness on higher settings are best for it.
Approximately 17 euro shipping incl with Amazon and must say its not bad at all at this price point I wonder if the original futur is really that different in terms of performance, but I'm definitely not use to the the different shave angle this head requires but in general not a bad shaver

Attachments

• 20200708_115639.jpg
    20200708_115639.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 6
It is probably the best value razor, if you buy it on ebay or aliexpress. I would go even further and call it one of the best choices for people with heavy beards. There could be a problem for some users because of the very bulky head, that makes it hard to shave under the nose. The Futur has bigger gaps.
Just keep trying more blades in it. During the last 3 years it is my most used razor. And I have lots of razors.

Top Bottom