What's new

Qshave futur clone review after 1st use

Just got this Razor yesterday. Told my daughter I would shave goatee once I get it. 9 weeks later it's here. Tried these settings : 1st pass :3 2nd -2 3rd-1
First of all, even if the blade seems to be aligned on both sides, one side felt more agressive than the other, once you know it it's okay but sucks a bit. First pass at 3 went throught butter in my goatee. Already had a great shave after first pass. Nothing special with 2nd and 3rd pass except I was happy to be on setting 1 for against the grain because 3 was agressive even with the grain. Results : BBS but lot of irritation on my neck and few nicks. Nicks probably because Im new to this razor but irritation I'll see next times but never had that much with other razors. Had to use alum block and neck is burning even 30 mins after.

Not a fan of the bulky head, was fine for the mustache area but was more complicated for the neck right under the chin on both sides. I also feel I have less control than a regular T shape head.

Efficient razor, was 16cad with blades bank shipped. Wonder if I'll get rid of the irritation. Might try only 2 passes next time. Used proraso red line PS, Soap, Thayers and AS

For the price, worth a try.

Attachments

• IMG_20200704_102412.jpg
    IMG_20200704_102412.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 65
  • IMG_20200704_090145.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 107
  • IMG_20200704_110947.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 101
Thanks for the review. I stopped using mine as I prefer a couple of other razors. I found the clone very "chatty", a lot of blade feedback/noise. I've got to ask, the after picture with the red marks around the throat area, is it always there regardless of the razor/blade combination ?

Thanks for the review. I stopped using mine as I prefer a couple of other razors. I found the clone very "chatty", a lot of blade feedback/noise. I've got to ask, the after picture with the red marks around the throat area, is it always there regardless of the razor/blade combination ?
Never had that before, appeared right after alum block so almost thinking its an allergic reaction. Was first time with the soap too so I'll pay attention.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Never had that before, appeared right after alum block so almost thinking its an allergic reaction. Was first time with the soap too so I'll pay attention.
Might not have anything to do with it, but when I first started shaving I ALWAYS used an Alum block, and more often than not, when I had a less-than-perfect shave the alum made the irritation VERY angry and seemed to last longer. My new routine is to use Alum only if I'm stopping a nick or aggressive weeper from bleeding, otherwise it's a splash of cold water to rinse my face, followed by a splash of Thayer's Rose Witch Hazel. As always, YMMV, and I know lots of folks swear by regular post-shave alum use....and it may not have a thing to do with what you experienced....but I figured I'd share my experience and ultimately my approach to post shave. Good luck and keep us posted on how things go with the new razor.

I have one of these, not sure if it is the same or not, cause I know Qshave and MingShi both put out clones (unless those two are the same razors with different names), but I find the razor to be extremely smooth. I really enjoy using it. I have it loaded up right now, and, in fact, used it just last night.

It should not be more aggressive on one side than the other. Sometimes I have to load the blade more than once because I can tell it is unevenly loaded the first time.

I have a black one and before that a silver one which I gave away.
for me the blade used makes a world of difference. Most blades make it a snarling angry viper. But Gillette Silver Blues made it an adorable puppy...
And yes bit clunky under the nose, highly efficient.
Model is known for head misalignment, blade misalignment, sometimes not properly assembled... but a good one is very good indeed.

You have to put the cap on the right way. The cap and the head are marked with a letter, on my razor with an A. They should be pointing in the same direction. When I realized that , the blade alignment was perfect..
Didnt pay attention to that but saw the letters, Thanks for the hint

I just rechecked the razor and one side has a bigger gap then the other so the agressive Side at 1 is the same as the other Side at 6. So Idk which one correspond to the correct number. The mild side at one is almost close. The blade alignement is fine but the blade exposure is very unbalanced. I'll have to use only one side when I shave like a single edge. I tried both sides of the cap and it's the same.

I just rechecked the razor and one side has a bigger gap then the other so the agressive Side at 1 is the same as the other Side at 6. So Idk which one correspond to the correct number. The mild side at one is almost close. The blade alignement is fine but the blade exposure is very unbalanced. I'll have to use only one side when I shave like a single edge. I tried both sides of the cap and it's the same.
Wow. That sounds jacked up. You got a lemon. Like I said, mine is one of the smoothest DE razors I own. Amazing shaver for the price.

Wow. That sounds jacked up. You got a lemon. Like I said, mine is one of the smoothest DE razors I own. Amazing shaver for the price.
Was still the closest shave I ever had but wouldnt say it was smooth hahaha. Do you know if yours at 1 is almost closed? I think that its the correct side. The other might go from 6 to 6+..

Thanks for this review, I was on the fence about purchasing this myself for a few months. Do you normally get irritation on your neck (to a lesser degree)?

Thanks for this review, I was on the fence about purchasing this myself for a few months. Do you normally get irritation on your neck (to a lesser degree)?
Never but watch these 2 pics, mine clearly a problem. The pics shows the Razor on both sides at setting 0.5/6 as you can see the blade exposure is different on each side.
IMG_20200704_210123.jpg
IMG_20200704_210137.jpg

There are a few threads on B&B that discuss the misalignment and gap issues.

Ricksplace's thread (titled "Shims for your Futur Clone (repeating pif)") is the granddaddy of all Futur clone shimming threads.

QShave Futur Clone - Issues!? addresses uneven gap, "overclocking", and shimming. The posts by @Nick Jagger and @John Rose are particularly informative.

Personally, I suggest that you try the simplest fix first, i.e. flipping or rotating the internal tension spring (mentioned in the Qshave thread).

There are a few threads on B&B that discuss the misalignment and gap issues.

Ricksplace's thread (titled "Shims for your Futur Clone (repeating pif)") is the granddaddy of all Futur clone shimming threads.

QShave Futur Clone - Issues!? addresses uneven gap, "overclocking", and shimming. The posts by @Nick Jagger and @John Rose are particularly informative.

Personally, I suggest that you try the simplest fix first, i.e. flipping or rotating the internal tension spring (mentioned in the Qshave thread).
Thanks a lot for the links!

Top Bottom