What's new

Qshave futur clone review after 1st use

This morning I was wondering what razor/blade should I use. Then I remembered this thread. Put a Super-Max Stainless in the Ming Shi 2000s, grabbed the red tube Proraso and got a nice Saturday morning shave @6. Ended it with a new to me aftershave - Adidas Ice Dive. And that razor cost me only $6.74 with free shipping. It was still in the early days after its release, and it was so cheap.

I loaded this up with as ASCO SS blade and set it to 4 1/2.

This razor is deceivingly smooth, after 3 passes (WTG, XTG, ATG) my face feels like it has been waxed, and I do not have any irritation either :c8:

This is my first adjustable, and apparently the blade needs to be loaded at 0.5 so that the cap claps and sits firmly, and then you can increase to desired level.

IMG_20220127_194554.jpg

This is my first adjustable, and apparently the blade needs to be loaded at 0.5 so that the cap claps and sits firmly, and then you can increase to desired level.

That was not necessary with the original Merkur Futur.

Trying the clone for a few shaves, I found that it did not measure up to the original, as tolerances were sloppier and craftsmanship inferior.

As the July 2020 post preceding yours shows, discussions about these clones died down after some initial interest.
There were just not in the same league as the Futur, but they are still out there and sell for a fraction of the original.

B.

That was not necessary with the original Merkur Futur.

Trying the clone for a few shaves, I found that it did not measure up to the original, as tolerances were sloppier and craftsmanship inferior.

As the July 2020 post preceding yours shows, discussions about these clones died down after some initial interest.
There were just not in the same league as the Futur, but they are still out there and sell for a fraction of the original.

B.
Yes, I never owned an original Futur to be honest, but damn this clone is sweet.

The QShave/Mingshi razors are pretty good shavers, and risking a burn from flaming, overall may even provide a better shave than many of the vintage Gillettes. I own two, and sure there are minor flaws in the finish, and a little bit of wiggle with blades, more so at higher settings, but they still give a surprisingly good shave, and do so extremely smoothly. - Smoothness wise, they're on part with a Rockwell or Karve. You can also practically load a tin-can lid into them, and get a good shave, they're very forgiving with just about any blade.

Fantastic band for the buck rating, provided you don't spend more than $10 for one, which is pretty darn easy to stay under that number. I'll even pull mine out now and then for a shave, or use one as a travel razor, if I don't take the OneBlade Core.

Now the Mingshi 3000, which is the TTO model, is not my favorite, just not efficient enough, requiring too much work to obtain a BBS shave.

Top Bottom