What's new

QED Shaving Soaps: Review

I know that some threads discuss the QED Shaving Soaps. I am so intrigued with them but having a tough time deciding.

I was wondering if you wouldn't mind giving a quick review of them in this link. I am sure it will be of use to others looking at buying a few.

If you could list the name and what you thought of that would be great

Please don't beat me up by asking this. Not all of the scents are on this forum and I can't find things on Wild Orange and a few others..

Thanks

Peppermint/Tea Tree/Patchouli = Very, very cooling - moreso than Proraso. Smells just as indictated by the title, very pleasant.

Sandalwood - very dry woody "pure" sandalwood scent

Lavender - again, a straight lavender smell (musky, herbacious)

Bergamot - light, dry citrus (smells like high quality Earl Grey tea)

Bay Rum - spicy bay and clove scents

All of Charles' soaps have incredible scents - he uses a good amount of EO in his soaps and they are the strongest smelling soaps I have and the "one note" soaps don't have any other EOs than their name indicates, so very "pure" scents.

You should be aware that several people have complainted about mild irritation as a result of the amount of EO Charles uses - in this regard, I find the Lavender to be the soap that is least likely to irritate me. The Sandalwood and Bay Rum do give me a bit of a "tingle", so I don't tend to use these soaps on back to back days - not an issue since I have lots of other soaps and creams. I continue to use QED soaps because of their great smells and good shaving properties.

You should check out the soap review thread for more details and comments.

Scent is a very subjective issue - all I can say is that Charles' soaps smell exactly as their name would imply (218 and B&B being exceptions - strong woody scents - balsam, sandalwood, etc.) - you can also safely assume that the soaps will have a strong scent (but not offensive or cloying in any way - also the scent does not interfere with choice of a/s or EDT - although I do find I layer QED soaps more so than others because they smell so good - in particular the Sandalwood and Lavender, which are two of my favourite scents.)

On an unrelated note, I prefer the shave sticks, as I find them easier to lather and they travel well.

If you have questions, ask Charles.

WetshaverinMaryland said:
I know that some threads discuss the QED Shaving Soaps. I am so intrigued with them but having a tough time deciding.

I was wondering if you wouldn't mind giving a quick review of them in this link. I am sure it will be of use to others looking at buying a few.

If you could list the name and what you thought of that would be great

Please don't beat me up by asking this. Not all of the scents are on this forum and I can't find things on Wild Orange and a few others..

Thanks

If you look at the top of the forum there is a table of contents bar - "Home forums *reviews +more" Click on the "*reviews*" select shaving soap go to page 4, and there is an in depth review of both the QED Sandalwood and the QED Rose shaving soap, as well as a QED lime shave stick. Not only is there an in depth review posted, but there are follow up reviews.

Hope this helps...

Mike02 said:
Peppermint/Tea Tree/Patchouli = Very, very cooling - moreso than Proraso. Smells just as indictated by the title, very pleasant.

I just used this for the first time today....its GREAT!

Greetings and Welcome Wet,
If you pop up to the SOAP FORUM and click on "SEARCH THIS FORUM" try the key words QED Shaving Stick. You will find numerous posts discussing the merits of the QED shaving sticks. This one is a favorite of mine. The nicest things about them is that they are inexpensive, fun to use, exceptionally efficacious, and of the highest quality. From my experience with them, they are about as natural a product as possible.

guenron said:
Greetings and Welcome Wet,
If you pop up to the SOAP FORUM and click on "SEARCH THIS FORUM" try the key words QED Shaving Stick. You will find numerous posts discussing the merits of the QED shaving sticks. This one is a favorite of mine. The nicest things about them is that they are inexpensive, fun to use, exceptionally efficacious, and of the highest quality. From my experience with them, they are about as natural a product as possible.

The one thing Ron didn't mention (but that you can clearly see from the linked thread) is that they are highly addictive. I am up to 6 without even trying and will likely order more in the near future. In terms of soaps, if all I had to chose from were the QED sticks, I would be quite happy. Truly great products.

I don't think there is a wrong choice. WHen I first purchased from Charles, he rcommended ordering just one scent and making sure that I liked the base soap. From there, he seemed to suggest that since he uses only high quality EOs that they would be very similar on shaving character save for scent.

I have three--all citrusy--bergamont, grapefruit/peppermint, and orange/spearmint. I love all three. Great scents--pleasant but definitely not overpowering. Very clean scents. The lather is very easy to prepare, has legs (lasts awhile), and very lubricating.

Get the sandalwood. Now.
(Yes, I am guilty of sneaking into the shaveden to get a quick sniff from this soap's scent)

The pine and cedar is also *very* nice, but might call for a touch more moisturizing after a shave.

I am guilty if the same behavior as you, Tinzien, but with all 6 QEDs I have. The scents (as well as the shaves) are all wonderful. They ARE addictive; I want more!! If I were forced to pick only one, though, it would be the Sandalwood.

John

I love the tangerine spearmint - lots of fun! I also like using the shave sticks for blade buffing - next order from QED I'll probably pick up an unscented stick to use with other creams and soaps.

But I'll agree - it tends to be a bit harsh on my skin. I have to be careful to not get it around my lips, as it dries them out like nobody's business.

ionelementz112 said:
Mine should be coming in tomorrow along with a Bay Rum stick. It'll be my first QED. I'm very excited!
Take the time to enjoy the fragrance! Have you read the thread on lathering with a shaving stick? It's really fun..

I just received a tub of QED bay rum soap... this is exactly how I think bay rum should smell. The stuff lathers up great also. I had a bit of irritation from it, however. This is the first soap/cream I have ever had this reaction to.

Is there anyone else out there who has mild skin irritation from QED bay rum, but not from some of his other soaps? I really like the lather of this stuff, but I'm not sure if I will keep this particular scent. I'll give the bay rum a few more tries before making a final decision. I need to have at least one of his soaps in my rotation, I was REALLY impressed with the lather!

Drew

His Sandalwood gives me zip for irritation but his cedar and pine gives me a little tingle yet I still get a great shave. Never tried the bay rum.

Likewise, I get irritation from Cedar & Pine, but use it anyway cause I love the smell. Also, nothing like irritation from the Sandlewood. I'd suggest trying that...

Drew said:
I just received a tub of QED bay rum soap... this is exactly how I think bay rum should smell. The stuff lathers up great also. I had a bit of irritation from it, however. This is the first soap/cream I have ever had this reaction to.

Is there anyone else out there who has mild skin irritation from QED bay rum, but not from some of his other soaps? I really like the lather of this stuff, but I'm not sure if I will keep this particular scent. I'll give the bay rum a few more tries before making a final decision. I need to have at least one of his soaps in my rotation, I was REALLY impressed with the lather!

Drew
Drew,
One of the drawbacks of having skin:cursing: is that quite often it reacts to delightful natural essential and synthetic fragrance oils. As most bay rhums have at least some clove oil, a hot oil, your chances of having irritation are somewhat higher than the less hot oils.. One gent I read today finds that if he uses the stick version of bay rhum, irritation, the tub, none.. I believe (obviously) it is an issue of EO concentration on the face for him.
My favorite, is the Pine and Cedar.. Alas, some lads find it too, too much for their sensitive skin.:crying: Well, sandalwood, lime, mocha java, and many of the others are loaded with cool EOs.. I enjoy the cedarwood and lemon.. Very nice. You may call Charles and ask for his recommendation. He is a delight with which to deal and is extraordinarily knowledgeable.,

Top Bottom