What's new

QED Shaving Soap

Anyone have problems with the QED Soaps irritating the skin? I have used the Sandalwood twice and will use the Lavender for the second time tomorrow. Each time I have used it, it seems to leave my face with a slight burning sensation that wears off ASB application. Even if it is a mild allergy I'll probably use it up to the point that I can't stand it anymore b/c the scent is magnificent and the lather is one of the slickest.

If you're like me, you might be seeing razor burn. I haven't had problems with chemical/allergic irritation, but I do find that high-end gylcerine soaps like QED's tend to allow me to shave closer than creams, and creams get me about as close as I can handle!

I'm getting back into soaps after a hiatus over the winter and early spring, so I'll keep hitting the soaps until I either get my technique down and stop "overshaving," or return to creams out of self-defense! I agree though, the scents and slickness are just outstanding.

-Rich

Todd, unfortunately it's a very common problem with QED soaps. I think it has to do with the amount essential oils that Charles uses in the soap.

I wanted to love the QED soaps, but the Grapefruit & Peppermint gave me burning sensations on my face. I really want to try some other QED soaps to see if it was just those EO's, but I am reluctant.

Austin said:
Todd, unfortunately it's a very common problem with QED soaps. I think it has to do with the amount essential oils that Charles uses in the soap.

Thank you guys for the info. I can see that the EO's may have some correlation as the soaps are very strong in their scent. This may just have to be a trade off to deal with every once in a while as I am not sure I want to get rid of them.

I was planning on ordering a QED soap this week. I would say I have mildly sensitive skin and have used the QED Lime and Sandalwood without too much problem. Anyone have any suggestions? I am thinking either the Lavender or Tea Tree/Peppermint. My one fear is that the peppermint may be a bit harsh.

water said:
I was planning on ordering a QED soap this week. I would say I have mildly sensitive skin and have used the QED Lime and Sandalwood without too much problem. Anyone have any suggestions? I am thinking either the Lavender or Tea Tree/Peppermint. My one fear is that the peppermint may be a bit harsh.

QED Lime is pretty nice. I was going to suggest New Rose but Charles is in the process of reformulating it so it's not available at the moment.

the QEDman Lavender is one of the best soaps/creams I have used. I always get a great, BBS, non irritated shave with it. I am sorry to hear that some people have skin reactions to Charles' soap. I have used the Lavender (obviously), Pine & Cedarwood, and Anise & Lavender, all with great success. I just wish I could get a good lather as quickly as I do with creams (in about 1 minute) - I would use it every day!

I have irritation with Taylor's Rose shave cream, so I don't have bulletproof skin. I generally can only use Glycerin soaps to wash my face (and Nancy Boy soaps). I have heard that Tee tree causes irritation, but I may have heard wrong on that.

Water, I would suggest the QEDman Lavender. Fantastic scent, great lubrication, makes your skin supple (and while I'm at it, cures cancer! :lol: )
(P.S. not a paid promotion by Charles :lol: )

O.K.

Gaelicboy said:
the QEDman Lavender is one of the best soaps/creams I have used. I always get a great, BBS, non irritated shave with it. I am sorry to hear that some people have skin reactions to Charles' soap. I have used the Lavender (obviously), Pine & Cedarwood, and Anise & Lavender, all with great success. I just wish I could get a good lather as quickly as I do with creams (in about 1 minute) - I would use it every day!

I have irritation with Taylor's Rose shave cream, so I don't have bulletproof skin. I generally can only use Glycerin soaps to wash my face (and Nancy Boy soaps). I have heard that Tee tree causes irritation, but I may have heard wrong on that.

Water, I would suggest the QEDman Lavender. Fantastic scent, great lubrication, makes your skin supple (and while I'm at it, cures cancer! :lol: )
(P.S. not a paid promotion by Charles :lol: )

O.K.

Takes a minute to lather up Charles' soaps? Lemme guess... you have a soft "super" badger brush? If you try going at Charles' soaps with a stouter brush, like a $35 C&E Edwin Jagger Best Badger - it'll light up that SOB with lather in seconds.

I have senitive skin and use QED Lavender, Sandalwood and Bay Rum. I have no problem with the QED soaps. I do notice I shave closer with them and experience some slight stinging once in awhile if I over do it. I love a close shave so I tend to over do it most of the time.

I love the scents and the fact that they are made with essential oils rather than fragrance oils. The scents are not whimpy like many other soaps made with essential oils.

I think I phrased it wrong in my previous post. It takes me a minute to lather up a cream, and longer for Charles' soap.

Actually, Joel, I have used both my $28 Saville Row Best badger (22mm), and a Shavemac "silvertip" or super (23mm) to lather up using the QEDman.

I haven't really timed one against the other, but I get a better lather with the super badger. I'm not out to break any land speed records:wink: . I just want a good, comfortable shave, and when I have the time, I'm willing to take the time to do it right! :biggrin:

I was just commenting on how much faster creams whip up, at least for me.

After further introspection and skin testing I have come to the conclusion that the reaction I was having was not an allergy. This morning I lathered up and let it set into the skin for a few minutes, wash, relather, and set up on the face. I would say the soap stayed on the skin a good 4-5 minutes without burning, irritation, etc. I then proceeded to relather and shave. During the second pass I had a mild amount of burning on the neck, but not too bad. As a few other members have mentioned I think that the burning was secondary to the shave and not the soap. Sorry, didn't mean to cause an uprising.

teamacacia said:
After further introspection and skin testing I have come to the conclusion that the reaction I was having was not an allergy. This morning I lathered up and let it set into the skin for a few minutes, wash, relather, and set up on the face. I would say the soap stayed on the skin a good 4-5 minutes without burning, irritation, etc. I then proceeded to relather and shave. During the second pass I had a mild amount of burning on the neck, but not too bad. As a few other members have mentioned I think that the burning was secondary to the shave and not the soap. Sorry, didn't mean to cause an uprising.
My Goodness Todd! That would make you UNcommon!

I do notice I shave closer with them and experience some slight stinging once in awhile if I over do it.

I would say that this exactly matches my experience with QED soaps. I do not necessarily experience irritation from the soap itself as much as from my tendency to get a little over-aggressive.

Well, I am leaning toward getting the Lavender. After Gaelicboy's commercial, I mean recommendation :001_smile , it seems to be the winner.

You will not be disappointed, Water. I also really like the Pine & Cedarwood, and I lean more towards "Woodsy" scents. I have no problem with floral scents, and think QED Lavender is the best Lavender I have tried. I am leaning (hint: going to buy soon :001_smile ) the tub of QED Sandalwood. So goes the SCAD (or is it just SAD? HA! Double entendre :w00t: )

Ahhh. Glad that it is Friday!

O.K.

T

Tye

I absolutely love the QED soaps. I have P/TT/P, Lime, Wild Orange, Anise & Lavender, Vanilla, Bay Rum and soon from Fisherc 2 sticks of Jasmine and 2 sticks of Neroli. I get my best shaves from the QED soaps, so much so that I've considered getting rid of my creams and using them exclusively. This is just my opinion and I have no relationship with QED other than that of a customer.

-Tye

Tye said:
I absolutely love the QED soaps. I have P/TT/P, Lime, Wild Orange, Anise & Lavender, Vanilla, Bay Rum and soon from Fisherc 2 sticks of Jasmine and 2 sticks of Neroli. I get my best shaves from the QED soaps, so much so that I've considered getting rid of my creams and using them exclusively. This is just my opinion and I have no relationship with QED other than that of a customer.

-Tye

Great idea Tye. I'll PM you my address to send all those excess creams that are now wasting gravity in your bathroom.:001_rolle

Top Bottom