What's new

Q. for the guys who have a military hair brush

Do you miss not having a handle?

Have you discovered an advantage to holding a brush in that particular manner?

Most manufacturers that offer military brushes also have the exact same brush with a handle for the same price.

I'm just wondering if I should go for what I know, or try the different shape (i.e. military)

Please, no "try both" responses :001_tt2: (I would if I could, but I can't so I won't)​

I did have a military brush at one time (Kent, I think) but didn't like like it as much as those I've used with ordinary handles. It just wasn't as easy to manipulate when changing the angle of attack to my head (ironically, given it was a military brush) and I tended to feel I could easily drop it. I have medium sized hands, I would say, and those with larger paws might find such a brush easier to use.

Thank you for the comments thus far.

I too have medium sized hands and around 2" hair length at the top, shorter on the sides. They are thin diameter, straight, densely packed, and tend to be "poofy" unless I use product. I'm hopping to get a flatter look without the use of product. Boar hair brushes seem to be the tool to help accomplish this.

Thank you for the comments thus far.

I too have medium sized hands and around 2" hair length at the top, shorter on the sides. They are thin diameter, straight, densely packed, and tend to be "poofy" unless I use product. I'm hopping to get a flatter look without the use of product. Boar hair brushes seem to be the tool to help accomplish this.
You might also want to consider a lighter product like Vitalis which is good at lightly taming a guy's hair. I've used military brushes since I was a kid and they're great for relatively shorter hair - with or without product. I have a pair of silver ones with my initials that were a gift from my grandparents. I've replaced the boar bristles twice.

You might also want to consider a lighter product like Vitalis which is good at lightly taming a guy's hair. I've used military brushes since I was a kid and they're great for relatively shorter hair - with or without product. I have a pair of silver ones with my initials that were a gift from my grandparents. I've replaced the boar bristles twice.

+1 on Vitalis. I use a tiny bit to calm my hair and it works wonderfully.

Retired US Army with 20 years service and now work for the Army as a civilian for the last eleven and this is the first time ever hearing of a military brush.

After googling it, it looks a lot like the brush I used to shine my boots with.

Retired US Army with 20 years service and now work for the Army as a civilian for the last eleven and this is the first time ever hearing of a military brush.

After googling it, it looks a lot like the brush I used to shine my boots with.

Perhaps it's a British coined term? Some of the finest military brushes come out of there, so I'm thinking that's the case and the "military" that is being referred to.

It's the brush that was issued to British troops starting in WW1 not sure when(or if) they stopped. They were made to be compact.

Slap a handle on it and it's called a club brush.

Never heard of a military brush. When I think of a brush with no handle, I picture a horse brush.

I love Vitalis and the smell. Not sure why some of you say it stinks. Jeris is another light hold tonic with a great Barbershop smell if you want a different option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For the benefit of future thread readers, here are some pictures of military brushes:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

They are just basically palm sized handle-less hairbrushes that may be oval or rectangular in shape.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Never heard of a military brush. When I think of a brush with no handle, I picture a horse brush.

I love Vitalis and the smell. Not sure why some of you say it stinks. Jeris is another light hold tonic with a great Barbershop smell if you want a different option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sorry Vez, I can't stand the stuff. It smells like a dirty ashtray. (Remember those?) Maybe it's just me. But its too bad because I do like how Vitalis works in my hair. Jeris, on the otherhand, smells great but doesn't hold much better than plain water. That's the Jeris without oil; maybe I'd like the oil stuff better.

Sorry Vez, I can't stand the stuff. It smells like a dirty ashtray. (Remember those?) Maybe it's just me. But its too bad because I do like how Vitalis works in my hair. Jeris, on the otherhand, smells great but doesn't hold much better than plain water. That's the Jeris without oil; maybe I'd like the oil stuff better.
The "Jeris with Oil" has the scent in addition to good hold - depending on how much you use. More than a few drops will give a "wet" look. Just experiment to see what you like. Price is about the same between the two versions.

Top Bottom