What's new

Q-1 and R-R Date Codes

I have checked and there are Gillette Super Adjustables for the 1970 quarters P-1 through P-4 and the 1971 quarters R-1 through R-4 but there are also Q-1 and R-R.

Has anyone solved the riddle of when the Q-1 and R-R razors were made (what year and quarter)? There seems to be plenty enough of the Q-1's that they aren't one-offs - about ten were sold on ebay in the first quarter of 2015. The R-R seems a little more rare but from the B&B posts a few people have them. Anybody know more about them (the Q-1 and the R-R) other than they exist?

A little more digging:

Theory One: The "Q" year was eliminated because of confusion with the "O" year.

Fact: There are both Q-1 and R-R versions of both Short and Long Super Adjustables.

Theory Two: Why are there both R-1 and Q-1 versions? Maybe there were two or more different stamping machines and one was incorrectly set up to stamp Q-1s while the others correctly stamped R-1s.

$GilletteSuper-109-Q-1-b.jpg$Super-109RRDateCode.jpg

Any takers? Theory Two explains the Q-1 date code but can anyone offer a theory about the R-R date code? Is it just a case of dumb human error? They were changing the stamping machine for the quarter and they meant to make a R-1 and were tired and duplicated the R twice? Is this the best we can come up with?

They often advertised as 'rare'. But they seem to come up on eBay pretty often. I don't even think they go for significantly any more than 'standard' ones.

No idea why the different codes though.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
As far as I know, we have nothing more than speculation as to why those codes were stamped. It seems quite reasonable that the Q-1 code was something that Gillette decided to switch out due to confusion with the O codes. It also seems fairly reasonable that the R-R code was a matter of mistake that Gillette decided it was happy enough to live with.

They are cool but not terribly rare. They do seem to come up fairly often.

If it shows anything, it gives some insight as to how strict Gillette was about such codes, i.e., not so much.

A little more digging:

Theory One: The "Q" year was eliminated because of confusion with the "O" year.

Fact: There are both Q-1 and R-R versions of both Short and Long Super Adjustables.

Theory Two: Why are there both R-1 and Q-1 versions? Maybe there were two or more different stamping machines and one was incorrectly set up to stamp Q-1s while the others correctly stamped R-1s.
They just a few made due to error

Waits comp

$2016-04-09 01.40.39.jpg

Top Bottom