What's new

Putting Together My Second Matching Seven-Day Set (M7DS)

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
About a week ago I received seven Titan 1918 ACRO T.H.70 straight razors for my next M7DS, shipped from Hong Kong, all for a little under USD 600.

IMG_20200724_120351.jpg
I had previously received my first T.H.70 which will become my evening SR for this set.

Profile Display.JPG
This morning I visited my cabinet maker and ordered a timber case for this set. The case will be similar to the one for my first M7DS, just with some dimensional changes to accommodate the the slightly wider scales on the T.H.70.

ACRO Box 01.jpgACRO Box 02.jpgACRO Box 03.jpg

Once the case is made, I will look at getting the spines of the SR's engraved with the days of the week. My next decision to make is what language to engrave the week day names in. For my first M7DS I used Latin. For this, my second M7DS, I am tossing up between English and Chinese. I'm not yet sure if my engraver can do this in Chinese. I will check with him this afternoon when I pick up my Vesperum SR.

Last edited:

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Why not order a display cabinet where you can keep all of your razors?
Because all my life I have tried to stick by a rule that if its important to me and I can't carry it on a motorcycle, I shouldn't have it.

Besides, for me, I am not into displaying my possession for others or myself to admire. The only things that I display to admire is my original art collection.

Last edited:
Because all my life I have tried to stick by a rule that if its important to me and I can't carry it on a motorcycle, I shouldn't have it.

Besides, for me, I am not into displaying my possession for others or myself to admire. The only things that I display to admire is my original art collection.
That's a good rule. Personally I view my razors as art, but then again that's only me :001_smile

I view my razors in a similar vein to guns. Precision instruments that can easily hurt you if you do something wrong. I handle both with a sure grip and extreme care. I look after their maintenance and keep them well out of reach of little hands. Art and an appreciation of craftsmanship / tradition certainly comes into it aswell. Your case is a bit like a miniature gun cabinet. Maybe it should have a lock on it!

Last edited:

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
.... Your case is a bit like a miniature gun cabinet. Maybe it should have a lock on it!
Fortunately the youngest in my house is 4yo, covered in fir, four legs, wags her tail and unconditionally loves me.

With my girlfriends, if one of them decide to cut my tackle off while I'm asleep, I'd rather they did it with a shave-ready SR than saw it off with one of my kitchen knives.

That's a good rule. Personally I view my razors as art, but then again that's only me :001_smile

me too amongst the Antler collections in my bedroom.......the shadow box secured to the wall also resides. within easy viewing while winding down at the end of the day.

camo

I vote for the language of origin of the razor. Failing that, Arabic looks nice and exotic.

Arabic should probably be reserved for something with Damascus steel, gold accents and camel bone scales though. These days a Martian rock inlay wouldn’t be out of place either. Your call.

Last edited:

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I vote for the language of origin of the razor. Failing that, Arabic looks nice and exotic.

Arabic should probably be reserved for something with Damascus steel, gold accents and camel bone scales though. These days a Martian rock inlay wouldn’t be out of place either. Your call.
I'm tending to agree about using the language of balde origen. The problem is that the steel is Japanese and then ground in Taiwan and finished in Hong Kong. Maybe Chinese for these razors, if the engraver can do it, and Japanese for the next Titan set.

Chinese is also good for me because that is where I was born (PRC).

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
The case for this set should be finished late this week or early next week. I will post pics here once I get it.

The engraving on this set will not be done until after I have received the case and checked where each SR best seats. As both the case and SR's are hand made, I expect that there will be some dimensional variations in both.

I have decided on English weekday names in RomanT font 2.5mm high on the SR's spines for this set. I have spoken with my engraver and he can engrave any language and/or designs provided that I give him what I want in PDF format.

For my third M7DS (SR's still in transit) I have decided to engrave the day names in Japanese to match the Japanese steel used in making the blades. If I ever do a M7DS of Chinese steel SR's I'll have them engraved in simplified Chinese.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I picked up the case for this, my second M7DS, this morning. Cost was PHP 2,500 (about USD 50). All is good.

IMG_20200816_113244.jpg

IMG_20200816_112935.jpg
IMG_20200816_112903.jpg
And the SR's are a perfect fit.

IMG_20200816_112819.jpg
I'll try and get these SR's engraved this week. While that is happening, I will fit some genuine leather at the wedge pin ends to support and protect the SR scales.

Last edited:
I picked up the case for this, my second M7DS, this morning. Cost was PHP 2,500 (about USD 50). All is good.

And the SR's are a perfect fit.

I'll try and get these SR's engraved this week. While that is happening, I will fit some genuine leather at the wedge pin ends to support and protect the SR scales.

That looks Outstanding! An excellent concept and fit! Well Done!

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I was going to take these SR's to the engraver yesterday (Wednesday) and pick them up Friday but then found that Friday here is a holiday. I will now take them on Monday next week and pick them up the following Wednesday.

Pics posted here when done.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
My ACRO T.H.70 M7DS has now been delivered to the engraver. I will pick them up Wednesday. Pics to follow.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I picked up the SR's from the engraver's yestrrday afteroon so my second M7DS is now basically completed. All that needs to be done is to use and strop the blades until they are all up to the same high-level shave-ready standard.
IMG_20200827_092004.jpg
The compartment on the right is lined with leather and contains some blade oil and a cleaning chamois.

Very nice setup. Now for the big debate...."Which day of the week is the first?"
Typically I see Sunday as the first razor in the box.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Very nice setup. Now for the big debate...."Which day of the week is the first?"
Typically I see Sunday as the first razor in the box.
Monday is my first shave of the week. Sunday is diamond pasted balsa stropping day for the set.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I am taking a break from my stroppless shaving exercise. Starting tomorrow (Monday) I will start working on getting the edges in this set up to speed.

All seven SR's in this second set have been given a B&B Method edge up to and including the diamond pasted balsa stropping progression. This was the same as my first M7DS where I found with using them that all the edges are not of equal quality. The substandard edges (if any) in this second set will be refined with some further work on the diamond pasted balsa strops.

Top Bottom