What's new

Putting away the fat.

Sorry, MWF lovers, I've tried hard to join the club just I just can't yet. Not sure if it's my hard Chicago water or what, but after a week of straight use, many Youtube tutorials, different brush/loading technique combos, I just can't get good lather yet. It's shaveable, but it ain't good. There's very little slickness and the lather dissipates when you pinch it between your fingers, all-in-all just a not-so-stellar shave. It's too bad, because I purchased a tub of Cella at the same time, and I've always heard these soaps to be fairly comparable, but Cella leaves a slickness behind after rinsing you could do another pass with. Anyways, it's going into the drawer for a while, but it'll resurface and I'll try again (maybe with some distilled water, just so see what I'm missing- though I refuse to make this regular practice). Ever since starting here I always wanted to love the fat, but for now, the fat must wait.

Have you tried face lathering with Mitchell's?

This is the most enjoyable method of using it for me

Have you tried face lathering with Mitchell's?

This is the most enjoyable method of using it for me

+1 Face lather fixes a lot of weaknesses, I get great lathers from MWF on my face but it does take a bit of patience to build.

The fat truly is a love it or hate it product. I might ordered a puck to see what its all about. How much better could it be that Mikes Naturals - my current soap of choice..... (With Tallow & Lanolin)

What about grating MWF and pressing it back into your container? Some have sworn this makes a big difference. Although Cella is pretty awesome...whatever works for you!

The trick for me was a to hydrate the puck well and use my SOC boar to face lather. I always had bad experiences with Mitchell's until I tried this. Now, my Mitchell's lather rivals most. Good luck!

I'm going to have to try a puck of this. For how much complaining I see around here about how hard it is to lather, it must be out of this world when you get it right.

Not sure if it's my hard Chicago water or what, but after a week of straight use, many Youtube tutorials, different brush/loading technique combos, I just can't get good lather yet.

I have Chicago water and find MWF lathers great.
I don't think its as good as Tabac but pretty good (some what less dense).

If all else fails, try Haslinger's Schafmilch! It is a tallow based soap with sheep's milk and lanolin, and it is very easy to lather!

If you're getting very little slickness from MWF, something ain't right. MWF is as slick as can be. Perhaps taking some time away to reset it is a good idea.

To all the responses:

I've definitely hydrated the puck, gone so far as to soak it over night. I've used Marco's ultra water-intensive method as well as the wring it out super pasty dry brush method. I've used my Semogue 2000 (fairly well broken in) as well as my pure badger. I face lather exclusively, so I've always tried this, but I've also put it in a bowl and tried it that way.

As far as my water hardness, it's not ultra hard, but I tested it today with a little kit from the local pet store and it and it was in the upper 200's. Not being a homeowner, water hardness had not at all crossed my mind until I started wet shaving....to make sure it wasn't just a mental crutch I went back to the Cella today and had an awwwweeesome shave. I will keep trying, I'm not ready to give up on it entirely, because from what I hear when it's good it's real good. I'm just putting it away for now. A week of crappy shaves is enough for me for a bit.

If you're getting very little slickness from MWF, something ain't right. MWF is as slick as can be. Perhaps taking some time away to reset it is a good idea.

A regroup, then attack is good advice. I struggled a bit with Mikes early on. When I unlocked the technique required for his soaps, I was in heaven.,...

I had the exact same issue. I would occasionally get a good lather but it was very inconsistent. It's not you, it's the product. There's no super secret way of getting the soap right, outside of maybe having a water softener or distilled water on hand.

There are better soaps out there that are easier to use with better performance.

It's usually not a question of "Will it work?" as much as "How easy and fast will it work?" for me. Cella is pretty much the easiest of the soaps for me. If you need more water, wet the brush and do some minimal mixing in your bowl or on your face.

I'm not interested in soaps that require being prepared in a "certain way." Frankly, I think I'm accommodating the manufacturer's decision to provide an inferior product when I do.

If you used canned foam or gel with a multiblade razor, just about any retro-shaving method shaves close and feels comfortable in comparison once you get the hang of it.

I had the exact same issue. I would occasionally get a good lather but it was very inconsistent. It's not you, it's the product. There's no super secret way of getting the soap right, outside of maybe having a water softener or distilled water on hand.

There are better soaps out there that are easier to use with better performance.
+1

Top Bottom