What's new

Put The Gas Down, Man!

So, I finally convinced myself to put the gas grill on the side and buy a weber charcol based one touch. This was probably the best decision I've made in a long time. The flavor just doesn't compare with charcoal.

Anyone else agree in this area?

While gas does do a good job of cooking your food, I do agree that the flavour with a charcoal or wood smoker/grill is so very much better. SWMBO and I have our eye on a green egg.

I absolutely agree that there is no comparison in the flavor department. charcoal is far superior. I recently started using hardwood lump charcoal, WOW that's some amazing flavor. I don't know if I can go back to the briquettes now. But occasionally the gas grill is nice simply due to convenience.

While gas does do a good job of cooking your food, I do agree that the flavour with a charcoal or wood smoker/grill is so very much better. SWMBO and I have our eye on a green egg.

+1. Check out Primo's too. I hear they are really nice as well. They're the same concept as the green egg but a little cheaper since they aren't 'the big green egg'.

http://www.primogrill.com/

they make gas grills? Go on!

marty

Hah!

I'm heading down to get a rotisserie accessory so I can stick a few beer can chickens into the kettle. Who wants 1 beer can chicken when you can have 4? It's time for camping with the fam!

Also looking at trying smoking a few racks of ribs for the first time. Anyone have a good recipe for rub and sauce?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member

:thumbup::lol:

Bravo!! Not only have you convinced yourself that you need an Egg, but you've convinced yourself that it's actually your wife who wants the Egg and you are along for the ride.

No doubt you'll reluctantly give in to her repeated requests (ie nagging) and cook up some meat in it this January when you finally give in to her repeated requests that you invite some buddies over and watch (if you have to ... if she really makes you watch it ... ) the Superbowl.

:001_cool:

Good job on the weber! They cook great. Get a chimney starter and ditch the lighter fluid you'll really taste the difference then. I heard that egg is really efficient and a great cooker:thumbup1:

I went from gas to a Weber this year myself! The chimney starters are great. I've went through 4 bags of charcoal so far grilling, and haven't had to use lighter fluid yet!

I love my kettle! :thumbup1:

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.

I should have been more clear about switching to charcoal. I actually started grilling with a smokey joe years back. The only reason why I switched to gas was the "everyone is doing it" fad.

I've always used a chimney starter when starting up charcoal. I think alton brown's method is pretty interesting. putting some canola oil saves on burning more newspaper. A few wads and 15 min later I have white charcoal!

Picked up a few things from the weber distributor. Got the rotisserie, some cherry wood chips, a rib rack, and a new apron. I can't wait to grill more this week! Gotta practice smoking some ribs... hmm. Maybe tomorrow might be a good day.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.

I should have been more clear about switching to charcoal. I actually started grilling with a smokey joe years back. The only reason why I switched to gas was the "everyone is doing it" fad.

I've always used a chimney starter when starting up charcoal. I think alton brown's method is pretty interesting. putting some canola oil saves on burning more newspaper. A few wads and 15 min later I have white charcoal!

Picked up a few things from the weber distributor. Got the rotisserie, some cherry wood chips, a rib rack, and a new apron. I can't wait to grill more this week! Gotta practice smoking some ribs... hmm. Maybe tomorrow might be a good day.

You know you have the bug when it's the middle of january, 12-14 inches of snow on the ground and one of your friends comes over and says " there's some idiot actually grilling in this weather".

Then after a couple rounds of chess and beer, you ask him if he wants something to eat and hand him a plate of ribs w/ corn on the cob nicely grilled-the look on is face will be priceless! enjoy your equipment; i wore my first smokey joe out.

marty

I don't get much opportunity to cook outside except when I head over to my cousin's place. We like to cook over wood in the fire pit. A little more work than briquettes, but it's worth it.

You know you have the bug when it's the middle of january, 12-14 inches of snow on the ground and one of your friends comes over and says " there's some idiot actually grilling in this weather".

Then after a couple rounds of chess and beer, you ask him if he wants something to eat and hand him a plate of ribs w/ corn on the cob nicely grilled-the look on is face will be priceless! enjoy your equipment; i wore my first smokey joe out.

marty

This sounds oddly familiar. When I first got my smokey joe about 5 years ago it was the middle of winter and I smoked/grilled a very small chicken in it. after that I was hooked. I got the large 22" Weber Gold and haven't used gas at my house since. I too have nearly worn the little smoky joe out. I take it nearly everywhere.

Yes, standing outside in midwinter is not fun. Especially when it drops to the low 60s =P Sorry... couldn't help it...

:thumbup::lol:

Bravo!! Not only have you convinced yourself that you need an Egg, but you've convinced yourself that it's actually your wife who wants the Egg and you are along for the ride.

I convinced my wife a Primo Jr. was worth it and after only the first cook, she was in total agreement.

Hah!

I'm heading down to get a rotisserie accessory so I can stick a few beer can chickens into the kettle. Who wants 1 beer can chicken when you can have 4? It's time for camping with the fam!

Also looking at trying smoking a few racks of ribs for the first time. Anyone have a good recipe for rub and sauce?

If you want to smoke the ribs you should have a look at the forums on "The Virtual Weber Bullet" for info on using firebricks and the Minion method in your Weber Kettle. You can turn your kettle into a serviceable smoker this way.

1/4 cup paprika
1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon celery salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1-3 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder

That's a very good starter for a rub for ribs, chicken, etc.

I'll sometimes take a commercial sauce like Sweet Baby Ray's and doctor it up with some of the juice from my spicy pickled carrots, more garlic, some oyster sauce, apricot preserves, etc. until it "tastes good to me".

My Mother and I gave my Dad a new large Green Egg for Father's day this year and in return I got his hand me down small Green Egg. Haven't had a chance to try it yet, but that will change over the Holiday weekend.

Top Bottom