What's new

Put That In Your Pipe and Smoke It!

Sometimes a local tobacconist will put together samples for you. Where are you located? I presume Calgary by your location statement. I might be able to send you a sample of a few I have on hand.

Things like this reinforce why B&B is such a nice place! :thumbup:

I was lucky to get a similar offer from Andy (andrew98), it's let me try a much wider range of tobaccos than I'd have managed on my own.

Timely post! I pulled my pipe out a few nights ago after a long hiatus and cigars only. Torched up with some McCllelland's bought at a local Old Virginia Tobacco Co store...good stuff!

I'm still deciding what I like a don't like, and am deciding against aromatics, they tend to burn too hot and build too much moisture.

I'm still deciding what I like a don't like, and am deciding against aromatics, they tend to burn too hot and build too much moisture.

Its been awhile since I smoked a pipe, but when I was buying my latest the clerk mentioned the very same thing to me...he mentioned the McClellands as it was not as aromatic as alot of other "typical" tobaccos and a much slower burn.

I tried it out last night and I have to say...I was pleased! :thumbup1:

Its been awhile since I smoked a pipe, but when I was buying my latest the clerk mentioned the very same thing to me...he mentioned the McClellands as it was not as aromatic as alot of other "typical" tobaccos and a much slower burn.

I tried it out last night and I have to say...I was pleased! :thumbup1:

I'll have to see if I can find some around here, and give it a try. Thanks. :thumbup1:

I personally don't like the taste of aromatics, or the bite due to the moisture. The bite is probably due to poor technique but sill not enjoyable.

I tend to like gravitate to GL Pease's Samarra and Haddo's delight (in a smaller bowl); when dried out they smoke very cool and dry.

I personally don't like the taste of aromatics, or the bite due to the moisture. The bite is probably due to poor technique but sill not enjoyable.

I tend to like gravitate to GL Pease's Samarra and Haddo's delight (in a smaller bowl); when dried out they smoke very cool and dry.

I'll put those on the list to try as well.

I favor cigars this time of year, but come cool weather I will reach into the cellar for...

Stonehaven (I haven't seen it for sale lately, but I have some in the cellar)
St. James Flake
Irish Flake
Kendal Twist
any G&H Kentucky
most any of the Lakeland tobaccos
several plugs
Penzance
lots of the tobaccos already mentioned...

I'm a member. Most of it is way over my head, so I don't post that much.

Thanks for this post, If I'm being too obscure or intimidating for new pipers I need to know. I'd really like the brotherhood to be a place where new pipers can feel welcome and are comfortable posting their opinions, questions, or experiences.

Thanks for this post, If I'm being too obscure or intimidating for new pipers I need to know. I'd really like the brotherhood to be a place where new pipers can feel welcome and are comfortable posting their opinions, questions, or experiences.

Don't get me wrong, I learn a lot from you more experienced gents, but much of it is far above me.

I stick to cavendish from my local shop as my standby, but if I feel like candy I will smoke Stanwell vanilla or Petersons Sweet Killarny. A bowl of cavendish in a Peterson pipe and a snifter of The Glenlivet is the perfect way to wind down IMHO.

My favorites right now are:

Solani Burley Flake
Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake
Samuel Gawith 1792
Gawith and Haggoth Brown No.4 Rope (MMMM ropes!)
and Peterson Irish flake

Yeah I don't like weak tobaccos. :thumbup:

I agree with the gentleman who mentioned smoking cigars in warmer weather and pipe in cooler weather. I don't know why, just feels more appropriate to me.

Anyway though two of my favorite non-aromatics are Sam Gawith's Bracken Flake and GL Pease Charing Cross.

Most of the aromatics I smoke are from a local tobacconist who "blends their own" though I have reason to believe that most of it comes from Altadis and the other big pipe baccy people.

A bit of a guilty pleasure of mine is Captain Black, I know it's cheap, but don't knock it til you rock it.

Top Bottom