What's new

Pure sandalwood shave creams?

I use Proraso red cream, it performs very well.

However, I am now shaving more often, and looking for something that might perform better.

Any recommendations for other shave creams that have a pure sandalwood scent? Or, at least predominately a sandalwood scent without artificial fragrances.

Captains-Choice-Sandalwood-Artisan-Shaving-Cream-4oz.JPG-350x350.jpg

Other soaps that have a pure sandalwood scent according to Try That Soap web site are:
Catie's Bubbles - Santal Sensuelle
Captains Choice Sandalwood
D. R Harris Sandalwood
Fine Santal Absolute
Proraso Sandalwood
Soap Commander Commitment
Stirling Sandalwood
Uncle Jon's Sandalwood
Southern Witchcraft Sandalwood
Oleo Soapworks Sandalwood

The TOBS sandalwood mentioned above is not a pure sandalwood scent but is a cologne scent that contains 14 different scent notes. However, it is a favorite of many people.

St James of London Sandalwood & Bergamot is a very nice one. Also, Truefitt & Hill should not be overlooked. That said, Art of Shaving Sandalwood is still my favorite.

The TOBS sandalwood mentioned above is not a pure sandalwood scent but is a cologne scent that contains 14 different scent notes.
There's a big piece of the puzzle.
I just tried TOBS Sandalwood for the first time tonight, and was very disappointed in the scent.
Certainly nothing like Proraso Red, nor any incense that I remember.
It was wierd, but (fortunately) not strong.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
St James of London Sandalwood & Bergamot is a very nice one. Also, Truefitt & Hill should not be overlooked. That said, Art of Shaving Sandalwood is still my favorite.

SJoL and T&H are not "Pure" sandalwood scents. To my nose, sandalwood is in the background, fleeting really. Nice scents perhaps, but look elsewhere if searching for pure sandalwood.

Frankly, can anyone say what a "pure Sandalwood scent" really is? I ask because I've either used or test-sniffed most of the brands listed above and none of them smell remotely like any other one. I'm assuming the OP thinks that the Proraso Red is a "pure Sandalwood scent" since this is what he's using and wants to replicate the scent in a different brand.

My suggestion is that the OP test-sniffs a variety of brands listed here by respondents and just pick the one you like.

For me, I currently use both TOBS and T&H Sandalwood. They smell completely different. Of the two, I really prefer the TOBS scent because I think of it as more "woodsie".

Frankly, can anyone say what a "pure Sandalwood scent" really is? I ask because I've either used or test-sniffed most of the brands listed above and none of them smell remotely like any other one. I'm assuming the OP thinks that the Proraso Red is a "pure Sandalwood scent" since this is what he's using and wants to replicate the scent in a different brand.

Part of the confusion is that there are several different trees in the Santalum genus from around the world that are called Sandalwood. Thus, there can be variations in the scents of the essential oils from the various species of Sandalwood. Furthermore, because Sandalwood is on of the more expensive woods in the world, pure essential oil is also expensive. Thus, it is often combined with other essential and fragrance oils.

AOS Sandalwood cream (has some eucalyptus).
TOBS sandalwood cream (not shown).
Floris Sandalwood cream.
Proraso Sandalwood cream (not pure sandalwood).

sandalwood creams.jpg

Last edited:

shavefan

I’m not a fan
I tried the sandalwood cream sampler from WCS a couple years ago. The problem, I found, is that sandalwood is usually just a component of the scent profile, sometimes a pretty complex scent profile and sandalwood is pretty much lost in the mix.

My suggestion is that the OP test-sniffs a variety of brands listed here by respondents and just pick the one you like.

For me, I currently use both TOBS and T&H Sandalwood. They smell completely different. Of the two, I really prefer the TOBS scent because I think of it as more "woodsie".
Pure Sandalwood scent is really only obtained from natural Sandalwood essential oil, which itself is derived by hydro-distillation of the heart-wood of the genus "Santalum Album" species of tree. Originally sourced only in the Mysore province of the Indias, it was traditionally referred to as Mysore Sandal-wood oil, or simply Mysore oil.
The real thing is now referred to as East Indian Sandalwood Mysore oil.
It is traded in the word's market-places based upon genus, grade, and the reputation of the distiller. It is highly coveted, and certain batches or distillations become legendary, not unlike Chateaux and certain wine vintages.
Certain distillers have built reputations based upon their individual distillation techniques, the woods they are able to source, and the batches they have produced in the past. Nevertheless, each batch is unique and the distiller is ultimately limited by the quality of his source material. Read here a thread of Mysore junkies chasing the elusive:
Mysore Sandalwood Oil Recommendations?
It was always a precious commodity, but prices have been skyrocketing in recent years. Thus, many perfumers long ago turned to less revered species of Sandalwood, and to dilution, adulteration and synthetic replication.
The problem with dwindling supply in Mysore is alarming. All of the mature trees, from which the highest quality oil was obtained, are long gone. An expanding black market is threatening what's left, and forestry rangers are being murdered by poachers . It can be likened to Rhino horn, tusk, shark-fin and Shahtoosh cashmere...read about it here:
About Sandalwood Essential Oil
Probably none of the bands you are familiar with have any real Mysore Sandalwood oil in them. The only commonly known cologne brand I know who uses the essential oil in its base is Trumper, and I suspect they use a related sub-species.
Of course, you can just buy real Mysore Sandalwood oil yourself.
Lotus Garden Botanicals is currently selling 5 grams for $98, or 1/2 ounce for $258.
Sandalwood Mysore Essential Oil
Or, you can choose your own supplier on-line at Indiamart.
Sandalwood Oil in Mysore, Karnataka | Sandalwood Oil Price in Mysore
By the way, Taylor Sandalwood cologne has a reputation for having the purest Sandalwood scent of the majors, even though it too, like all the others, is a blend.

Pure Sandalwood scent is really only obtained from natural Sandalwood essential oil, which itself is derived by hydro-distillation of the heart-wood of the genus "Santalum Album" species of tree. Originally sourced only in the Mysore province of the Indias, it was traditionally referred to as Mysore Sandal-wood oil, or simply Mysore oil.
It is traded in the word's market-places based upon genus, grade, and the reputation of the distiller. It is highly coveted, and certain batches or distillations become legendary, not unlike Chateaux and certain wine vintages.
Certain distillers have built reputations based upon their individual distillation techniques, the woods they are able to source, and the batches they have produced in the past. Nevertheless, each batch is unique and the distiller is ultimately limited by the quality of his source material. Read here a thread of Mysore junkies chasing the elusive:
It was always a precious commodity, but prices have been skyrocketing in recent years. Thus, many perfumers long ago turned to less revered species of Sandalwood, and to dilution, adulteration and synthetic replication.
The problem with dwindling supply in Mysore is alarming. All of the mature trees, from which the highest quality oil was obtained, are long gone. An expanding black market is threatening what's left, and forestry rangers are being murdered by poachers . It can be likened to Rhino horn, tusk, shark-fin and Shahtoosh cashmere...read about it here:
Probably none of the bands you are familiar with have any real Mysore Sandalwood oil in them. The only commonly known cologne brand I know who uses the essential oil in its base is Trumper, and I suspect they use a related sub-species.
Lotus Garden Botanicals is currently selling 5 grams for $98, or 1/2 ounce for $258.
By the way, Taylor Sandalwood cologne has a reputation for having the purest Sandalwood scent of the majors, even though it too, like all the others, is a blend.

Thanks much for the detail. This explains why no two Sandalwood shave creams smell alike. I use both TOBS and T&H Sandalwood, and they couldn't be more different. I like them both but for completely different reasons. To my schnoz, the TOBS is the closest to "woodsy" that I've encountered.

Welcome to B&B, Sir Razor!! And thanks for your good info!!

Indeed, TOBS sandalwood is a great item!!

taylor of old bond street sandalwood simpson revisor march 31 2019.jpg

Top Bottom