What's new

Pure Badgers Are Not All Alike

I purchased the largest most expensive silvertip Vulfix expecting nirvana. It can’t touch my Omega Pro. It will likely turn up on BST in the near future. Love boar dislike badger.
May be largest badgers are not your thing (for sure they aren't mine)
A different knot setting can make a lot of difference and so can do the quality and cut of badger's hair.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
May be largest badgers are not your thing (for sure they aren't mine)
A different knot setting can make a lot of difference and so can do the quality and cut of badger's hair.
It isn’t the size. This one is the highest quality hair. I just find boar to be more comfortable by far. And you don’t have to pay $130 for one either.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
What about the Vulfix don't you like as compared with the boars?

I like my boars just fine, too, but also my badgers, my one horse, and perhaps my new synthetic (jury's still out on that one, but it's looking good). All my good brushes are soft. Some are softer than others, but some of my very soft brushes are boars.

Happy shaves,

Jim
I just find Badger a bit prickly for my taste and am totally spoiled by my Omegas which lather well and possess ultimate soft feel. Perhaps it is because I have such soft and lovely kissable skin. 😂
9740FC7E-079A-499B-A16C-5581D3FEB246.jpeg

Last edited:
I'd be interested in more about this brush. Its size, how the knot was set, or anything else (pictures)?

From the order:

Quality and size > 20 mm pure badger;
Knot shape > fan shape;
Hair length (loft) > 46 mm;
Shape > 82 mm;
Color > ivory imitation;
Shavemac logo > logo on the outside.

At the time, I was going after something along the lines of a Simpson brush. Upon receipt, I liked it a lot, and still do. But a couple of months later, I came across a really good deal on a Simpson Berkley 46, the knot being similar sized, but with a bulb shape. The Simpson knot is denser, although the bristles are a bit more prickly; but in the end, I think I prefer the Simpson (palm-lathering here, if I were face-lathering, the nod would probably go to the Shavemac). The Shavemac is more like a Vulfix knot in comparison, or somewhere between Vulfix and Simpson (closer to Simpson) but the knot is soft. Perhaps if the Shavemac knot were sunk to 44 mm length, it might seem denser.

Here are a couple of quick shots for you:

Simpson-and-Shavemac-Pure--Badger-1-(web).jpg

Simpson-and-Shavemac-Pure-Badger-2-(web).jpg

Last edited:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
From the order:

Knot shape > fan shape;
Shape > 82 mm;
Color > ivory imitation;

At the time, I was going after something along the lines of a Simpson brush. Upon receipt, I liked it a lot, and still do. But a couple of months later, I came across a really good deal on a Simpson Berkley 46, the knot being similar sized, but with a bulb shape. The Simpson knot is denser, although the bristles are a bit more prickly; but in the end, I think I prefer the Simpson (palm-lathering here, if I were face-lathering, the nod would probably go to the Shavemac). The Shavemac is more like a Vulfix knot in comparison, or somewhere between Vulfix and Simpson (closer to Simpson) but the knot is soft. Perhaps if the Shavemac knot were sunk to 44 mm length, it might seem denser.

View attachment 1081412

View attachment 1081413

Thank you very much.

Nice looking brushes.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Today I shaved with the oldest brush I own: a Hoffritz Pure Badger brush. I have no idea who made the brush. I bought it in 1993 during a going out of business sale at the Hoffritz store located in the World Trade Center in New York City. When I got to the Hoffritz store they had sold out of most of their shaving goods. The only other brushes were more expensive than I could afford at the time. For many years this was my daily shaving brush. It is also the smallest brush I own coming in at 19 mm. I don't recall how it felt when I first started using it. However, for as long as I can remember it has been a great one. I guess it is possible to got better with continued use. I have used it more than 7,000 times. I generally prefer larger brushes but this is one little guy who will always be with me.

I have often heard the pure badger brushes tend to be stiff and harsh to the face. When I loaded the brush I realized that this little guy really loaded nicely and produced a great lather. And then when I put the brush to my face it felt wonderful. Not a bit of scritch. I did a four pass face and neck shave and two pass head shave with this little guy.

Just curious: do you have a pure badger brush that is softer than you expected?

Maybe that's just true of the older ones. I bought a NOS 1980s Century 7090 (actually I bought six of them, some will probably show up on BST when I get around to it) and it says pure badger on it. But the hair is better than any of my best badger brushes and the equal of my one super badger. It immediately entered the rotation.

From the order:

Knot shape > fan shape;
Shape > 82 mm;
Color > ivory imitation;

View attachment 1081412

View attachment 1081413

Great comparison! Two lovely brushes!! :clap: :clap:

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Today I shaved with the oldest brush I own: a Hoffritz Pure Badger brush. I have no idea who made the brush. I bought it in 1993 during a going out of business sale at the Hoffritz store located in the World Trade Center in New York City.
I sure miss those Hoffritz window displays.

From the order:

Knot shape > fan shape;
Shape > 82 mm;
Color > ivory imitation;

View attachment 1081412

View attachment 1081413
It’s a good idea to use a shavemac pure knot for face lathering?. I’ve taken off a knot a Semogue 2020 in best because felt it prickly and I’d to mount a softer one.
The only thing I’d read about this shavemac Knot is that it tips weren’t trimmed. Thanks

Shavemac Pure is remarkable for the combination of soft tips and latherability. It’s part Pure and part Best. Mine is a 19mm knot on a Rudy Vey beehive handle. Sweet!

Plisson Pure (black badger) is coarser and a bit scritchy but fun to use. It lathers like an SOB. Plus, Plisson round handles feel like an extension of my hand.

It’s a good idea to use a shavemac pure knot for face lathering?. I’ve taken off a knot a Semogue 2020 in best because felt it prickly and I’d to mount a softer one. The only thing I’d read about this shavemac Knot is that it tips weren’t trimmed. Thanks

Yes shavemac Pure is an exceptional hair for face lathering. It it NOT a luxurious gooey gel tip wall of platinum peroxide blonde badger snot. It is a workman knot doing it's job and letting you know it's there. If you mounted a shavemac knot I would highly suggest sending the handle to shavemac or Rudy Vey. The nominal fee for a lifetime of great shaves is worth it.

Shavemac Pure is remarkable for the combination of soft tips and latherability. It’s part Pure and part Best.

shavemac Pure is Pure. shavemac Finest is 3-Band and Pure.

I recommend a bulb mounted fairly stout. The amber one lathers better it's a full tilt boogie workhorse.
shavemac.jpeg

Last edited:
It’s a good idea to use a shavemac pure knot for face lathering?. I’ve taken off a knot a Semogue 2020 in best because felt it prickly and I’d to mount a softer one.
The only thing I’d read about this shavemac Knot is that it tips weren’t trimmed. Thanks

I have a Semogue 2020 in "best", and the Shavemac knot in pure feels softer. That said, both knots have a similar tendency to curl at the very tip (which suggests that they were not clipped). For palm-lathering the 2020 also works well for me, it's only that one really has to scrunch up on the knot there with the fingers in loading as the loft is longer. I'd be curious to know how the 2010 "pure badger" compares.

Yes shavemac Pure is an exceptional hair for face lathering. It it NOT a luxurious gooey gel tip wall of platinum peroxide blonde badger snot. It is a workman knot doing it's job and letting you know it's there. If you mounted a shavemac knot I would highly suggest sending the handle to shavemac or Rudy Vey. The nominal fee for a lifetime of great shaves is worth it.

I recommend a bulb mounted fairly stout. The amber one lathers better it's a full tilt boogie workhorse.
View attachment 1084410

I recall Rudy telling me that Shavemac Pure is a mixture. Rudy, am I mis-remembering?

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I recall Rudy telling me that Shavemac Pure is a mixture. Rudy, am I mis-remembering?
Pure is pure.
Finest is a mix of their super soft standard three band silvertip (approx 65-70%) with the rest being their highest grade pure to give backbone - great grade of hair!!

Great choice. Pictures and review are a must!
Let us know when it arrives and what you think of it.
Please.
Shavemac Pure is remarkable for the combination of soft tips and latherability. It’s part Pure and part Best. Mine is a 19mm knot on a Rudy Vey beehive handle. Sweet!

Plisson Pure (black badger) is coarser and a bit scritchy but fun to use. It lathers like an SOB. Plus, Plisson round handles feel like an extension of my hand.

View attachment 1084410
I have a Semogue 2020 in "best", and the Shavemac knot in pure feels softer. That said, both knots have a similar tendency to curl at the very tip (which suggests that they were not clipped). For palm-lathering the 2020 also works well for me, it's only that one really has to scrunch up on the knot there with the fingers in loading as the loft is longer. I'd be curious to know how the 2010 "pure badger" compares.

Good morning,

First of all, sorry for the delay but I was hesitating my decision and thanks for all your answers. After testing some different badger hair qualities I've discovered that my delicate skin needs silvertip hair, so I've ordered a 22mm to Bernd.

If I'd a rougher skin I'd buy a finest or a pure, but I know with them I wouldn't feel comfortable and they wouldn´t fullfill my expectations.

From the order:

Knot shape > fan shape;
Shape > 82 mm;
Color > ivory imitation;

I bought the exact same knot in a 4318 handle with brown-black resin and logo on the bottom.

My impressions are much the same as yours, except that I far prefer the firm, skritchy Pure knot in my Simpson Berkeley for face lathering, though I don't go in for the full-on face scrub that brush offers every day, maybe only twice a week... I think the Shavemac pure would be great, if only the knot was denser.

As far as the characteristics of "Pure" bristle, I have a Simpson Beaufort B1 that might as well be Best, an Omega black/pure that was very soft, a couple floppy vintage brushes that are actually really soft and have owned a Simpson Special that might as well have been a pot scrubber... all labeled "Pure Badger", it's a pretty broad range!

Top Bottom