What's new

Pure Badger out performs Silvertip

My regular brush is a Col Conk in Pure Badger, used 100's of times. I did a brush restore with a TGN Silvertip, and I am about 6 shaves in with it.

I was noticing that I just couldn't get awesome lather with it, so I decided to do a side by side comparison between the two-

The conditions-

Shower and shampoo beard. My normal prep. Meanwhile, both brushes soaked in moderately hot tap water, each in their own bowl.

Speick stick, applied directly to my face evenly. An excellent performer that I am very used to getting marvelous lather from.

Each brush squeezed equally to start. Dribbling water onto the breech to hydrate each equally during use, then later in an attempt to get the Silvertip to keep up, even more.

Left side face lathered with the Conk, Right side with the Silvertip (edge to the Silvertip because I am right handed).

Results-

The Conk produced copious amounts of great lather, enough for 4+ passes.

The Silvertip produced less lather, but it was decent, enough for 2+ passes.

Analysis-

Holding every condition constant made the results dramatic and unquestionable. As to why, I have some speculations.

A) It could be that the coarser hair of the Pure Badger allows for more aeration of the soap, while the thinness of the Silvertip gives a softer feel on the skin

B) It could be that there are still animal skin oils in the Silvertip that is killing the lather. It does still give off a mingy odor. In order to compensate for this possibility, I am going to shampoo it twice and use conditioner everyday for a week. Then retest.

Does anyone have any other ideas? Comments?

Use a teaspoon of White or Apple-Cider Vinegar with ~2oz of very Cold Water and soak ~20 minutes, Rinse well and soak in plain cold water ~5 minutes than build a Bowl Lather. Place the Lather in a Coffee Mug and submerge the knot and let it soak for a minimum of two hours, rinse and let dry. I do this with all my new Brushes/knots and I think it helps open your knot and will remove any chemical residue that may be left on the hair, at the very least your brush will be very clean, but this does seem to help.

Assuming you have knots of equal size and density, a pure badger will do a better job of picking up soap whether it be on your face after rubbing a shave stick on it or loading from a puck. This is because pure badger hair has trimmed ends and is coarser/stiffer overall. There are a minority of experienced users that will use nothing but pure badger because of this. Boar brushes work in a similar way due to the really stiff boar bristles but after awhile they will soften up because the ends of the boar hair will split.

Some manufacturers will compensate for the softness of silvertip by making extremely dense knots and then setting them a lower, like 45-50mm. This is why people shell out big $ for a big name brushes. I don't know anything about TGN knots or how you set up your restore.

My first brush was a pure badger (a Vulfix re-branded as a Conk) and after a few months with shaving with it I wondered why my face was so irritated after using it. I only bowl lathered and made mostly paint motions on my face but the brush still left my skin red and irritated. A few months after that I got a best/midgrade brush and could not believe the difference in face feel. A little while after that I got my first silvertip, and only then could I face lather without getting brush burn. For me that means silvertip is worth the extra cash all day long. It may not be for you.

I am trying the cleaning routine.

I get no irritation from the pure badger. So far, the difference in softness is minimal to me.

Pure 001.jpg

After years of using various grades of Badger hair I have settled on pure Badger as being my favorite grade of Badger. They tear through creams effortlessly, and once broken in are as soft as any best Badger I have ever encountered, and most silver tip brushes. From a price point they can't be beat. Not to demean any other brushes by any means, or their users this is simply my personal opinion of pure Badger brushes.

Attachments

• $Pure 001.jpg
    $Pure 001.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 306
Definately one of those YMMV things. I find the performance between the two about equal - I use dense silvertips. I prefer the face feel of the silvertip though. To me, that's why I like them.

Everyone has their own likes and dislikes when it comes to brushes, and you'll find no set answer's as to which is the best.

If you've found what works the best for you, and you like it, I'd say that you've got one problem solved. :thumbup1:

Silvertip retains significantly more water than pure. If you're keeping the water equal between the two, the lather from the silvertip will be thinner and more runny.

I have tried new and used boars (lower end) and reknotted badgers (best and finest, overstuffed, firm and floppy) and I will take my Tweezerman over them anyday. I think you have to use more product and work it a little different.

I really want to try some other pure brushes and even some pure knots for old handles.

My first restore was a TGN pure in an old Ever-Ready and it's still one of my favorites. (second from left)
I don't find it much if any scritchier than a dense 2 band and it works great with whatever I throw at it.

proxy.php

My first restore was a TGN pure in an old Ever-Ready and it's still one of my favorites. (second from left)
I don't find it much if any scritchier than a dense 2 band and it works great with whatever I throw at it.

proxy.php

Have you ever used a Tweezerman? If so how would you compare it to that TNG knot?

im a big pure fan.ive got one silvertip and two finest and two best but ive got 7 black/pure brushes.ive delegated the finest and silvtip to creams only.they seem to do better when they dont have to load the soap.

Attachments

• $DSCN0880.jpg
    $DSCN0880.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 211
  • $DSCN0881.jpg
    $DSCN0881.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 211
Last edited:
Have you ever used a Tweezerman? If so how would you compare it to that TNG knot?

I haven't tried a Tweezerman. At those prices I always seem to look at the highly regarded boars. I remember some people talking about shedding and cheap construction but it's not like they are expensive. I do know that every single TGN knot I have purchased has been terrific. At $10.76 this pure is a steal and set in a classic rubber handle is a treat to use.

most of my tgn knots have yet to shed a hair,and those that have shed,didnt lose but a couple of hair for a shave or two.

I am no expert but this is what I think, and I am using your words:
My regular brush is a Col Conk in Pure Badger, used 100's of times. I did a brush restore with a TGN Silvertip, and I am about 6 shaves in with it...
Does anyone have any other ideas? Comments?

Also when you say you did a brush restore, did you set a new knot?
One manufacturer I know recommends Borax paste for cleaning:
METHOD
  1. Mix some Borax in a small container with enough water to make a thick paste.
  2. Rub the paste into the hair of the brush gently and work it down to the base of the hairs. Leave it overnight.
  3. Rinse thoroughly with warm water.
  4. Repeat every two to three months.
I am not sure about cleaning this way every three months but I would give it a try first time use.

Last edited:

I've used both. Used my Tweezerman today, in fact. I prefer the TGN knot for its softness, though I can see why some people like the scritchiness of pure badger.. I think it's a bit easier to get product on the Tweezerman but I really don't have any problems lathering up either.

Sorry I do not mean to Hijack your thread...

I haven't tried a Tweezerman. At those prices I always seem to look at the highly regarded boars. I remember some people talking about shedding and cheap construction but it's not like they are expensive. I do know that every single TGN knot I have purchased has been terrific. At $10.76 this pure is a steal and set in a classic rubber handle is a treat to use.

I love my Tweezerman, it does not shead and in the last 9 months it has had no construction issues even after almost daily (or twice a day) use.

¢orey;3848453 said:
I've used both. Used my Tweezerman today, in fact. I prefer the TGN knot for its softness, though I can see why some people like the scritchiness of pure badger.. I think it's a bit easier to get product on the Tweezerman but I really don't have any problems lathering up either.

Thanks, have you used the TNG pure?

I love the brush I bought at Target a couple of years ago, and I believe it to be black badger. It's by far my favorite brush and only cost me a ten spot. The $142.00 silver tip lives in a drawer unused.

Top Bottom