What's new

Pure aloe vera gel as an aftershave?

I think you should definitely experiment around with a few a/s products. It may very well be that pure aloe is the best for you, but without trying anything else, you'll always wonder.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Aloe is one of those great, cheap solutions to putting out the fire. Another is Cornhusker's lotion.

Reidar said:
http://www.drugstore.com/qxp16732_333181_sespider/fruit_of_the_earth/aloe_vera_100_gel.htm

I've been using this, and I'm wondering if I'm missing out on some good stuff that higher end, dedicated after-shaves have. Any thoughts?

Reidar,

I use Aloe Vera 80 Gel, which is not 100% aloe vera like the one you are using, but I really love the stuff and if you search around you will find several other shavers who love Aloe Vera 80 Gel as well. I use it in combination with another moisturizer as an after shave balm, i.e. Oil of Olay Hydrating Beauty Fluid. This has been one of the best combinations I have found that works for me. I usually apply the Oil of Olay HBF first, then after 1 to 2 minutes apply a liberal coat of AV 80 Gel. They both absorb well and leave a powder smooth feel.

I have a hypersensitivity to menthol so I am unable to use Trumper's Coral Skin Food even though I love the fragrance. I am considering trying DR Harris AfterShave Milk at some point in the future. I just purchased Proraso Liquid Cream Aftershave today and will be trying it over the next week or two. It has a clean pleasurable fragrance and I like its thin consistency, so I hope it agrees with my skin.

Just as you do, I sometimes use the AV 80 Gel by itself, but mostly when I need some "extra healing" for those tough shave days. I like to slather it on before bedtime and by morning my face feels healed and well.

Aloe Vera Gel 80 is available at many natural food stores. Their website is: http://aloevera80.com/pages/public_products_list.asp?family=Aloe+Vera+80 It is the "Aloe Gel" you are looking for, not the lotion.

Research the forum and try some different stuff...you'll be glad you did! That's half the fun of wetshaving!

When I have bad razor burn from shaving stupid, I have the best luck with aloe. I break a piece off my plant, and crush it with a heavy metal cylinder to get the gel out. OH yeah, before applying the gel, I give it a good going over with some witch hazel.

ouch said:
Aloe is one of those great, cheap solutions to putting out the fire. Another is Cornhusker's lotion.
Isn't this a nice product! It is good stacked with other products or used by itself.

ouch

Kyle said:
Isn't this a nice product! It is good stacked with other products or used by itself.

I thought I was the only one who used it. A $3-4 bottle lasts forever and works great. My only complaint in the enormous opening on the bottle- it's hard to remove only the tiny bit that's required. Transferring it to a little squirt bottle helps.
Aloe is a great product, but it sometimes gives me a slight reaction. The Cornhusker's is heavily glycerin based, soaks in nicely, and doesn't leave my skin as tacky. It's fun mixing them in different proportions with witch hazel, but most of my home made concoctions usually leave much to be desired.:frown:

ouch said:
I thought I was the only one who used it. A $3-4 bottle lasts forever and works great. My only complaint in the enormous opening on the bottle- it's hard to remove only the tiny bit that's required. Transferring it to a little squirt bottle helps.
Aloe is a great product, but it sometimes gives me a slight reaction. The Cornhusker's is heavily glycerin based, soaks in nicely, and doesn't leave my skin as tacky. It's fun mixing them in different proportions with witch hazel, but most of my home made concoctions usually leave much to be desired.:frown:

Corn Huskers Lotion has been around my neck of the woods for many, many years and my parents used it quite often for "rough" hands. I currently have a bottle in my shave den and have tried using it as an AS Balm several times, but it seems to leave too much of a "tacky" feeling. Maybe I am using too much [it seems I am one of those who thinks, if a little is good, more should be better] or maybe I just need to "stack" it with some other products. Quite possibly some "Corn Husker Pros" can give me a few pointers??? :confused:

Transferring it to a little squirt bottle helps.
I've put mine into a pump bottle.

Aloe is a great product, but it sometimes gives me a slight reaction.
I have the exact same reaction to products with a high concentration of aloe. It is especially noticible on a sunburn or freshly shaved face.

The Cornhusker's is heavily glycerin based, soaks in nicely, and doesn't leave my skin as tacky.
If it remains tacky on my skin, I like to finish off with a dusting of talc.

RoughRider,
I've seen it at CVS & Wal-Mart, though it is usually on the bottom shelf and not highly visible.
full

Last edited by a moderator:

ouch

Kyle said:
I've put mine into a pump bottle.

I have the exact same reaction to products with a high concentration of aloe. It is especially noticible on a sunburn or freshly shaved face.

Pump bottle sounds even better- will try.

Apparently, I'm not the only one with an aloe reaction. It seems to only happen when I use it undiluted.

Potty Dr.- As for the possibility of using too much corn husker's, let me first say that I find the proper amount of Trumper's skin food to be a whopping two drops. In many cases, less is more. It's very easy to use too much CHL, especially if you pour it out of the bottle.

ouch said:

I shave my head, I use cornhuskers on my noggin after shaving. The best part is that it dries with a matte finish so the reflection off my head is not quite as blinding as with some of the other lotions I have tried.

P

PortsmouthDavid

ouch said:

I really like the idea of drugstore availability and prices for post shave treatment.

Another cool drugstore idea for post shave that I think works really well is J&J First Aid Cream. A nice, calming skin sealant. Works great for any littel areas I've roughed up whilst shaving.

I don't like the Aloe Vera myself . . for some reason I find it sticky and uncomfortable. I've tried it without successs.

-- David

Scotto said:
Aloe doesn't sit well with my face either. I thought I was the only one...

I'm in the same camp! I tried the Aloe-80 but it just didn't work for me. Left my skin feeling too tacky and didn't seem to absorb all that well. YMMV

That's odd. Maybe the 100% aloe is different. It absorbs in my skin within a matter of seconds, and makes my face feel extremely cool and refreshed (not to be confused with Coca-Cola). And not to mention very soft. It's a steal at $1.50.

ouch

I don't know how much aloe is in Thayer's rose petal witch hazel, but I find it the ideal proportion. Whenever I try one of my own concoctions, it's either too much or too little. Never seem to get it just right.

DoubleE said:
I'm in the same camp! I tried the Aloe-80 but it just didn't work for me. Left my skin feeling too tacky and didn't seem to absorb all that well. YMMV

Jerry,

Did you apply it to a wet face with damp hands? Might make a difference.

Randy

Top Bottom