What's new

Purchasing my first strop

Okay, so I am about to purchase my first strop...since I am new to this let's assume that I will nic it several times. I have seen strops that start at $20 and they go all the way to up from there. I am considering a Premiere Strop Company I found for around $50 on Maggards. I have also found a strop on eBay for $20 both are new. Any reason I shouldn't start with the cheaper strop? I don't mind the price difference but like I said I am sure I am going to nic my first one several times as I learn this.
Thanks!

It depends on the thickness of the leather. The cheap ones can cup easily.

You are better picking up a cheap paddle strop to start with. Less likely to nick it and the quality of the leather doesn't matter so much. The basic stropping motion doesn't really change so once you've got the hang of it you can transfer to the hanging strop afterwards.

If you abandon the paddle you can use it for CrOx / FerOx.

I have noticed that paddle strops are less popular on the American side of the Atlantic - they seem too be a more European thing. All I can say is I used paddle strops for 15-20 years before I started using a hanging strop.

Top Bottom