What's new

Purchasing my first strop

Okay, so I am about to purchase my first strop...since I am new to this let's assume that I will nic it several times. I have seen strops that start at $20 and they go all the way to up from there. I am considering a Premiere Strop Company I found for around $50 on Maggards. I have also found a strop on eBay for $20 both are new. Any reason I shouldn't start with the cheaper strop? I don't mind the price difference but like I said I am sure I am going to nic my first one several times as I learn this.
Thanks!

Check out Tony Miller’s Bench Strops. Not much more than $20 and of a quality you can keep for decades unless you REALLY mess it up.

Tony Miller is the way to go. Stick to the linen side until you get good at it. And there's always room to buy one of everything as you go along this road. Good luck

If I had to choose it would be horse. All of the strops I have do the same job. It's more of a preference as to which is best. Also the same leather can perform differently depending on how it is finished. The draw can be fast or slow. Heavy or light. I have cow hide Tony Miller that has a draw similar to a horse hide kanayama. Not the same but close. Aslo draw can change with use pre leather conditioning. For a new user inexpensive is a choice. Good luck

The Tony Miller basic latigo strop I bought to start with is still going strong, nicks can be repaired. A good cut of leather can last a long time.

Larry at Whipped Dog has the poor man's strop kit which gets you a hanging strop, balsa charged with chomium/iron oxide and some neatsfoot oil. https://www.whippeddog.com/strops

Hands, jeans, newspapers and firehoses too.

The Tony Miller basic latigo strop I bought to start with is still going strong, nicks can be repaired. A good cut of leather can last a long time.

Larry at Whipped Dog has the poor man's strop kit which gets you a hanging strop, balsa charged with chomium/iron oxide and some neatsfoot oil. https://www.whippeddog.com/strops

Hands, jeans, newspapers and firehoses too.

+1 on Whipped Dog. It will make a great travel strop when you decide to replace it. It has a tab-in-slot holding mechanism built in as well as a hole for hooking to a hook.

Let's get a thread going. "Miller time". Show off your new Tony Miller strop. Or the members with old Miller strops. I have a few strops. The Tony Miller gets used most. Solid everyday strops. Priced reasonably.the horween is nice. The kanayama is great.the scrupleworks is just fine. Why do I use the Tony Miller most? Why do you like the Tony Miller ?

There is a decent strop for 20$ and it should do fine. If you haven't picked one already I will let you know where the sire in a PM. Most people recommend a cheap strop to start with. Tony also has some entry level a a great price. Soem are on sale. I checked them today.

Top Bottom