What's new

Purchasing a vintage straight

So I walked around my local antique mall today and saw a couple razors, but never having shaved with a straight I wouldn't purchase one. I've read the sticky and it doesn't give much of a "what to look for when purchasing"

One razor, looked nice, it was $12 and the razor open and shut nice, wasn't loose or tight. A quick google search came up with nothing on the manufacturer (W.E. Jones Cutlery Co) so I passed.

I see on the wiki some makers, and there is a note on one page that says don't buy if there is no makers mark. I assume unknown maker is also a "don't buy"

So, give me some tips if you can, thank you.

proxy.php
proxy.php

I tried to resize but picasa won't let me at the moment, sorry if the photos are large

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I could only find that W.E. Jones Co. was registered here: http://businessprofiles.com/details/w-e-jones-cutlery-co/MO-00020928

Nothing else, it doesn't mean they aren't good. Maybe they didn't sell many straights or for a short period of time...

I would avoid razors made in Pakistan or those who don't have any markings. Other than that, should be fine. Keep in mind that a good maker doesn't mean a good razor. If the edge is rusted, it's no good. Have you seen this page: http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/What_to_look_for_when_buying_a_second_hand_straight_razor

Sorry, still working out how to navigate the wiki. Mods can lock the thread, I've got plenty of info

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Sorry, still working out how to navigate the wiki. Mods can lock the thread, I've got plenty of info

There might be someone else with different/more information out there...

For $12, it looks good to me as a nice razor to learn honing with. If you are ready for this, I'd say buy it, although it may have a hint of frown (can't really tell from the pic). Interesting stand as well. Looks like it was intended for straight razors.

Last edited:
Top Bottom