What's new

Puma 3/8 for newbie or later use.

Hey guys,
I've started to move over from de razors to straights and want to try out a few different ones. I've got a few 5/8,6/8 ect with different points to them. I've spotted a good buy on a Vintage puma 88 3/8 and just wondering if I should purchase it or not. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Only $110 AUD
Screenshot_20220627-124104_eBay.jpg

I agree. It's not for newbies. Plus I had someone send me a puma 3/8 and the thing was so far out of whack. I mean ground so wrong I could get half the blade to act right even with tape in odd places.
IMO, Stay Away!
BTW, I've got a Real 2/8 that I break out once a year. But I've been at this for a long time.

I have to agree with the previous posters. A 3/8 razor is going to be tough for a noob. I've been using straights for a few years and still struggle with a 3/8.

A well honed 4/8, probably now a 7/16, is still a different beast to the 3/8 I have.

Some people like the narrower razors, but they take a lot of time and patience to dial in.

It's my understanding that 3/8 and smaller razors were typically used by barbers for hair cutting/thinning, and maybe for cleanups around the edges after a shave. Personally 4/8 is as small as I like to go for shaving my whole face.

Biggest & Littlest.jpg

1/4" from top of the spine to edge. Shaving with this is not for the faint of heart. I've been at this for over 10 years. Wait until you get more experience before trying the little ones.

I see no reason why a novice straight user couldn't use a blade that size. After all, you're shaving with the edge and not the spine. Would a novice do better with a 7/8 or 3/8? I fail to see what difference it would make.

I had a 9/16 that was a barber's straight razor and it was as sharp and as deft as any of my straights. And for around the mouth and under the nose, it was perfect.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I see no reason why a novice straight user couldn't use a blade that size. After all, you're shaving with the edge and not the spine. Would a novice do better with a 7/8 or 3/8? I fail to see what difference it would make.

I had a 9/16 that was a barber's straight razor and it was as sharp and as deft as any of my straights. And for around the mouth and under the nose, it was perfect.
The main disadvantage for a n00bie when using a smaller (narrower) blade is that it is harder to judge what angle you are shaving at. As your skills develop, this judgement is done more by the feel of the blade on your skin and the way it is shaving.

Last edited:

Just to add to the comment by @rbscebu, the smaller blades are noticably lighter. I have found that in my experience they have a tendency to want to skip and need more control to shave than say a 5/8 model of the same razor.

A 3/8 can be used, and many people use them to shave. They are not something I would recommend for someone thinking about getting into straight shaving.

Perhaps it's just me here but in my opinion and my observations, more is done here to discourage than to encourage novice straight razor users. I detest the word "noobie" and the inference that somehow, they are completely incapable of learning from any point in time.

And yet here we are .... all here were once brand new.

To @nels, you're getting a lot of "advice" here and I wish you the very best in sifting through it. My first straight razor was a 5/8 and I butchered my face up pretty good until I learned how to shave with it. I've also cut myself pretty good just last week as others have done and admitted to doing.

It's your money and your face, advice on the internet is worth what you paid for it.

Hey Nels,

I'm a novice SR shaver also. My first vintage SR is the one below, narrow-ish but not sure on the exact size. I've also been using a cheap shavette (very light) and a couple of different Gold Dollars. I understand the advice from others, but FWIW I didn't find the narrower blade particularly difficult compared to the others I used.

Depending on your budget for this hobby/obsession, if you like the razor you could buy it. If it doesn't work out for you, keep it til you're more experienced, or resell it. I don't think vintage straights drop much in resale value for one more owner 😂

1656414518139.png

With the smaller lighter razors more special technique is needed too. The angle as was talked about is one part of it, but knowing how to slice across and not just straight-on when attaching the whiskers is another.

Perhaps it's just me here but in my opinion and my observations, more is done here to discourage than to encourage novice straight razor users. I detest the word "noobie" and the inference that somehow, they are completely incapable of learning from any point in time.

To @nels, you're getting a lot of "advice" here and I wish you the very best in sifting through it. My first straight razor was a 5/8 and I butchered my face up pretty good until I learned how to shave with it. I've also cut myself pretty good just last week as others have done and admitted to doing.

It's your money and your face, advice on the internet s worth what you paid for it.
Thanks mate, I'm going to end up getting it. Might as well try it out and see how it goes.

Hey Nels,

I'm a novice SR shaver also. My first vintage SR is the one below, narrow-ish but not sure on the exact size. I've also been using a cheap shavette (very light) and a couple of different Gold Dollars. I understand the advice from others, but FWIW I didn't find the narrower blade particularly difficult compared to the others I used.

Depending on your budget for this hobby/obsession, if you like the razor you could buy it. If it doesn't work out for you, keep it til you're more experienced, or resell it. I don't think vintage straights drop much in resale value for one more owner 😂

View attachment 1479515
I'm going to get it hoaned then give it a go. Cheers

It's your money and your face, advice on the internet is worth what you paid for it.
Honestly I still don't know how to use my 5/8 or the others yet as I've probably had only 10 shaves with them. I'm keen to learn and enjoy it even if I slice up my face

As mentioned above, a 3/8 is generally intended for hair-cutting use. I would suggest buying it for that purpose rather than for shaving one's face.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
If you can't source a Gold Dollar W59, a 2/8 or under SR is pretty good for shaving the inside of nostrils and ear canals. A ⅜ is rather limiting in those roles.

Top Bottom