What's new

Pulled the trigger on an entry level AR

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
Yep! ARs are like Legos! You can go from mild to wild... That DB would have a TriggerTech Primary, a Craddock Precision barrel (remember that name. Frank is a great guy and will spin you up a Bartlein lickity split!), and a spiffy LPVO in a heart beat. After that? A thermal clip on! The hogs would fear me! Oh and I would have catty engraving on the selector switch :wink:

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
I wonder, if ole’ Eugene ‘Stone’r ;) knew the future of what he had with his Armalite Rifle.

Amazing how one can take a simple, basic, no thrills AR-15 and with just a few additions here and there, they can turn their rifle into a long distance tack driver.

And when they get tired of that, they can take off a bit of the stuff they added and then put on a couple of completely different stuff and have a lean and mean, high speed, low drag, close quarters battle rifle.

Or they can just leave it plain Jane and have a overall nice shooter and plinker.

Ole’ Eugene should have named it the WR-15 for Wonder Rifle. :)
I believe Stoner envisioned a whole Armalite based "Stoner System" with modular components for specific missions. So, yes, I think he had an inkling of what the future would hold for his rifle.

AR (2).jpg

It's here and already put 250 rounds through it

It shot really good, once I got the scope zeroed got really consistent 3 inch groups at 100 yards, with three of us shooting. No target pictures but I was impressed with the accuracy. I let my son and grandson do most of the shooting after sight-in as they were in from out of town. We took all of my pistols and my .22 rifle and plinked around for 3-hours, it was a great day. Next time out I will take my time see if I can get the zero dialed in a little better and explore how it behaves at different ranges.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
It shot really good, once I got the scope zeroed got really consistent 3 inch groups at 100 yards, with three of us shooting. No target pictures but I was impressed with the accuracy. I let my son and grandson do most of the shooting after sight-in as they were in from out of town. We took all of my pistols and my .22 rifle and plinked around for 3-hours, it was a great day. Next time out I will take my time see if I can get the zero dialed in a little better and explore how it behaves at different ranges.

Yeah, once you dial it in, it will give you surprisingly small groups. Addictive little bugger ain't it? :)

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I believe Stoner envisioned a whole Armalite based "Stoner System" with modular components for specific missions. So, yes, I think he had an inkling of what the future would hold for his rifle.

Do you have any links about the history of his intentions with the design? I would be very interested in reading them? :)

“I wonder, if ole’ Eugene ‘Stone’r ;) knew the future of what he had with his Armalite Rifle.”
@OkieStubble
I have a real solid idea that Mr. Stoner had the AR vision you mention. I used to spend some time at Knight Armament in Vero Beach when I lived there. Had the good fortune to know C. Reed Knight and saw first hand what he and Gene Stoner could do with that platform. Yeah, they knew what was going on….
A4070534-FA3D-45EF-81BB-824A189626CA.jpeg
E3BAC989-1CFD-4FCC-85C1-FE7EE0C44776.jpeg

I got a great deal on an entry level M&P 15 Sport II about 3+ years ago and the very first thing I upgraded was the charge handle. The factory one was nearly useless.
I'm curious what is wrong with the stock charging handle and what you replaced it with...

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
While a stock GI charging handle may work just fine when standing up and shooting casually, newer ambi charging handles with their enlarged "ears" are much easier to manipulate when shooting from prone or with optics, etc. on the gun. Instead of "hooking" it with two fingers, you can "palm" it back with the off-hand.

While a stock GI charging handle may work just fine when standing up and shooting casually, newer ambi charging handles with their enlarged "ears" are much easier to manipulate when shooting from prone or with optics, etc. on the gun. Instead of "hooking" it with two fingers, you can "palm" it back with the off-hand.

Thanks for your reply. .... and the quotes in your signature.

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
I definitely like the ambis that open outward (Think Radian Raptor) on my AR with the red dot. Makes manipulation way easier! Large pattern ARs with hi power optics that hang WAY over the charging handle? Side charging for the win!

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I have Raptors on three of my builds and am awaiting the availability (currently out of stock) of an AR10 version for my Creedmoor build.

I'm curious what is wrong with the stock charging handle and what you replaced it with...
Pretty much everything stated buy nortac and nikonNUT. The stock handle not being ambidextrous coupled with the fact that the ears are not only tiny but also counterintuitive as far as angle makes it almost useless IMO.

I replaced the stocker with a Geissele Super charging handle. The difference is obvious here.

20211214_180401.jpg

20211214_180455.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom