What's new

Pulled the trigger on a pair of Nicks

10" Ranger boots made to order. Mailed in the fit sheet today. Now the waiting begins...
Below are the rangers. As my wife says when we're furniture shopping... "look at the shape, not the fabric (leather in this case) or the color".
proxy.php

I was really torn between all the leather/combination choices but settled on a combo they had in one of their photos. Below is the leather/color combination I will be getting (shown in the Robert):
proxy.php

While I like the look of my Red Wing Iron Rangers but to be honest, they're not the boots I want to hike or walk all day in. I ordered the Nicks Rangers with the Spenco insoles.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Very interesting boots. Nothing like the plain stuff that I see over here in Australia.

So I'll keep everyone updated:

I ordered the boots online on November 26th. Made the measurements, filled out the fit sheet and mailed it to them on the 27th. It got to them on the 30th (Friday) and they emailed me to confirm on the 5th (Wednesday). The email describes the process (copied below):
  • The fit sheet gets sent to our lead fitter for review.
  • The lead fitter reviews it within 3-5 working days.
  • You get notified that a try-on boot is being sent or that we have to build a boot for try-on. Building a boot for try on adds 3 weeks to the process, unfortunately. But it is worth the wait! We collect payment at that time for non-web customers. The try-on boot may not be the same boot you wish to order, but it will be built on the same mold (also called a last) as the boot you want to order.
  • You receive the try on boot and follow the instructions in the box.
  • You call us and we do a fit-by-phone to fine tune the fit and address any issues.
  • You return the boots to us.
  • We receive the boots and confirm your order in the system.
  • You receive your finished boots 8-10 weeks from the time you receive this email!
Welcome to Nicks!

Very impressive that they're actually willing to build a try on for some customers. Nicks boots aren't inexpensive but all considered, I think the price is actually very reasonable for custom, hand made in the USA boots. particularly when they are going to this length to fit.

I can wear most shoes off the rack but I do have a high instep, and have had an ongoing bout with heel spurs, sciatica, and knee discomfort on one side. We'll see how this figures into the fitting consultation call.

Here's a few videos of the factory tour...

Yesterday, Wednesday, 12 December, I got the confirmation that my try-on boots and the return label has shipped. So the timeline so far...
  1. Day 1, Monday, 26 November: I ordered boots
  2. Day 2, Tuesday, 27 November: I mailed the fit sheet
  3. Day 5, Friday, 30 November: USPS delivered fit sheet to Nicks
  4. Day 10, Wednesday, 05 December: Nicks confirmed receiving fit sheet
  5. Day 17, Wednesday, 12 December: Nicks shipped try-on boot

Update...
  5. Day 17, Wednesday, 12 December: Nicks shipped try-on boots
  6. Day 25, Thursday, 20 December, I received the try-on boots and spoke with a boot fitter at Nicks
  7. Day 26, Friday, 21 December, I shipped back the try-on boots
I normally wear 9-1/2 D athletic shoes. The try-on boot they sent me based on the fit sheet were a pair of 9 C Hot Shots (FFPA fire boots). The fitting process requires that I put them on, lace up, walk in them for 15 minutes (not outside), re-lace, and call them with a helper nearby. They had the helper make a couple of measurements (at the toe and ball of the feet) and asked me some questions (heel slip, any hot spots, arch support, etc). I also had to take photos of the boots lased up on my feet and sent them in so they could verify the uppers are not too big/small. The only issue I identified was that I thought the arch support could be a bit more forward on the boot.

This was my first time in any pair of Nicks boots. The boots were as tight as my Iron Rangers when I first got them. I could definitely tell the logger heel, high arch design makes for better weight distribution. Also, my heel definitely felt more secure in the try-on boots with very little slip vs the Iron Rangers.

Update...
  6. Day 25, Thursday, 20 December, I received the try-on boots and spoke with a boot fitter at Nicks
I normally wear 9-1/2 D athletic shoes. The try-on boot they sent me based on the fit sheet were a pair of 9 C Hot Shots (FFPA fire boots). The fitting process requires that I put them on, lace up, walk in them for 15 minutes (not outside), re-lace, and call them with a helper nearby. They had the helper make a couple of measurements (at the toe and ball of the feet) and asked me some questions (heel slip, any hot spots, arch support, etc). I also had to take photos of the boots lased up on my feet and sent them in so they could verify the uppers are not too big/small. The only issue I identified was that I thought the arch support could be a bit more forward on the boot.

This was my first time in any pair of Nicks boots. The boots were as tight as my Iron Rangers when I first got them. I could definitely tell the logger heel, high arch design makes for better weight distribution. Also, my heel definitely felt more secure in the try-on boots with very little slip vs the Iron Rangers.

Thank you for the detailed update.

Update...
  8. Day 65, Tuesday 29 January, Nicks called me to let me know my boots were ready to ship. I had to pay a balance since I made some upgrades/changes to the boots (added cap toes, changed edge dressing to natural)
  9. Day 66, Wednesday 30 January, Boots shipped. Delivery expected Thursday, 07 February. Just under 11 weeks.
Specs for my boots:
Size: Custom fit sheet
Boot Collar: Standard Top
Thread Color: Tan
Vamp (Toe) Leather: Chocolate Smooth
Toe Cap Color: Chocolate Smooth
Toe Option: Single Celastic - Holds toe shape
Heel Leather: Chocolate Smooth
Backstay/Pull Tab Leather: Chocolate Smooth
Pull Loop: Yes
Upper Leather: Tan Teton Rough Out
Tongue Leather: Walnut
False Tongue Leather: Tan Teton Rough Out
Hooks + Eyes: Antique Bronze
Shank: Standard
Sole: Mini Vibram
Hand-Welted: No
Edge Dressing: Natural
Laces: Natural Leather
Spenco Comfort Insole! (Boots are built one width wider to accommodate comfort insole.): Yes​

Total cost was $494 delivered (including shipping both ways for try on boots). Not cheap but not outrageous for custom, US made anything.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Wow!
Very impressed. And totally right, expensive but not so crazy or what i would have guessed. My iron rangers were three and change. Looking forward to pics when they arrive
Thanks for sharing the process.

Update...
  7. Day 26, Friday, 21, December, I shipped back the try-on boots
  8. Day 65, Tuesday, 29 January, Nicks called me to let me know my boots were ready to ship. I had to pay a balance since I made some upgrades/changes to the boots (added cap toes, changed edge dressing to natural)
  9. Day 66, Wednesday, 30 January, Boots shipped.
  10. Day 74, Thursday, 07 January, Boots Received. Just under 11 weeks order to delivery.

Some comments...

I add false tongues and leather laces to just about every pair of boots I own. Some folks don't like the look of the false tongues but I do and they are functional (provides additional padding against lace bite and protects the soft tongue leather). They're $3/pair from Nicks and come in different leather types/colors and cuts: packer, logger (in the photos), casual. Note them on the Iron Rangers.

While I posted the side/side photos between the Nicks Rangers and Red Wing Iron Rangers, it's really not apples/apples. I've only added the photos to provide a comparison against a pair of boots many gents are familiar with. The Nicks are at a entirely different level of boots at ~2x the cost (Iron Rangers often go on sale for under $250). Consider that just the wear portion on the Nicks are almost as thick as the entire heel stack on the Red Wings. The differences only magnify from there, the base leather sole, arch construction, etc, etc. Even without putting them on, I can easily see the reasons why the Nicks are 2x the price.

Now comes the process of breaking in. While Nicks recommends not oiling or treating them during break in, I will apply a liberal coat of polish on the toe caps and heels to give them some protection against bumps and scrapes.

Last edited:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Some comments...

I add false tongues and leather laces to just about every pair of boots I own. Some folks don't like the look of the false tongues but I do and they are functional (provides additional padding against lace bite and protects the soft tongue leather). They're $3/pair from Nicks and come in different leather types/colors and cuts: packer, logger (in the photos), casual. Note them on the Iron Rangers.

While I posted the side/side photos between the Nicks Rangers and Red Wing Iron Rangers, it's really not apples/apples. I've only added the photos to provide a comparison against a pair of boots many gents are familiar with. The Nicks are at a entirely different level of boots at ~2x the cost (Iron Rangers often go on sale for under $250). Consider that just the wear portion on the Nicks are almost as thick as the entire heel stack on the Red Wings. The differences only magnify from there, the base leather sole, arch construction, etc, etc. Even without putting them on, I can easily see the reasons why the Nicks are 2x the price.

Now comes the process of breaking in. While Nicks recommends not oiling or treating them during break in, I will apply a liberal coat of polish on the toe caps and heels to give them some protection against bumps and scrapes.
Beautiful boots sir.

Top Bottom