What's new

Pulled the trigger on a pair of Nicks

Another short update...

I'm now approaching ~60Hrs break in (estimate).

The uppers are beginning to soften up and I can articulate my ankle better. The boots have a bit of "memory" to them. When I put them on in the morning, they feel almost as tight and the hotspots are more prominent (sort of like memory foam returning to shape). As I go through the day, most hotspots are gone (a few remain but they're beginning to disappear as well). I can get through the most of the day in comfort.

Well... a step back and a step forward.

I had approached the ~100Hrs for the recommended break in period.... so I thought.

I just came back from a 5 day trip to the Midwest where the Nicks were the only pair of footwear I brought. I knew I was going to log many miles (at least for me) walking and standing (tourist stuff). But the boots were feeling great so I figured I wouldn't mind too much taking them off 2x for security at the airport (which actually wasn't that bad).

Well my break in calculations were a bit off. Walking a mile or two and spending the remainder of the day driving a desk wasn't exactly working the leather. According to my wife's fitbit, we logged between 5~10 miles a day walking (primarily of hard, city surfaces). Well, after 6 miles on the 1st and 9 miles on the 2nd day, I developed a blister on top of my metatarsal bone on the left foot and the beginnings of a blister on my right foot. I could have bought a pair of sneakers at that point but did not since I am an idiot and enjoy suffering. So with a hydro seal band aid in place, I toughed it out for the remainder of the week and I am happy to report that save for blister part, the boots are feeling a lot better and for the remainder of the trip really didn't bother me until ~7-8th hr walking/standing.

So I would say the 100Hr break in time is actually for men who work in the boots and not office dwellers. Think I have a ways to go but I easily did 30~40Hrs this trip.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Thanks for sharing. I just ordered my first pair of Nicks Handmade Boots a few weeks ago. I’m getting the Builder Pro in 10” with the honey Vibram sole and composite toe in walnut brown.

I’m really looking forward to getting them on my feet. However, I broke my big toe on my left foot a couple of weeks ago and still need a few weeks of healing before I break in a new pair of boots.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
They’re here. The first twenty minute walk was grueling. Looking forward to getting through the 100 hour break-in.
6A5A607C-F1A8-46BC-AB3E-8CDF833BBE19.jpeg
F528085F-908B-44BF-AF4D-4E9B3152A60E.jpeg
14FF6E12-965C-4D87-9E7A-945AAD4809A7.jpeg

They’re here. The first twenty minute walk was grueling. Looking forward to getting through the 100 hour break-in.
View attachment 983654
View attachment 983655
View attachment 983656

Awesome! Liking the rough out with the honey vibram soles.

To take the pain down a tad, use the 2-1-3 lacing technique for the 1st 3 hooks (go to the 2nd hook, then to the 1st, then to the 3rd. From then just go up in order. It takes the bite off the instep/ankle but the boot is just as well secured. It also looks really snappy IMO.

FYI Carl Murawski did a review of the builder pro with the honey vibram earlier this year.

BTW... My boots are fully broken in now. Verrrryyy comfortable. But now I want another, more dressy pair.

Last edited:
Those are beauties, Dennis. Congrats. I'm a White's guy myself, due largely to the Arch-Ease last, but Nick's boots sure look well made.

Wow, I honestly expected those to cost much more than that. Not bad! Makes me want a pair, but I'm unsure how well I'd get along with the logger build; although they do seem they'd be ideal for my line of work. Just when I thought I had my mind made up for a new pair of work boots... Just great. Ha!

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Awesome! Liking the rough out with the honey vibram soles.

To take the pain down a tad, use the 2-1-3 lacing technique for the 1st 3 hooks (go to the 2nd hook, then to the 1st, then to the 3rd. From then just go up in order. It takes the bite off the instep/ankle but the boot is just as well secured. It also looks really snappy IMO.

FYI Carl Murawski did a review of the builder pro with the honey vibram earlier this year.

BTW... My boots are fully broken in now. Verrrryyy comfortable. But now I want another, more dressy pair.

Today’s walk was much better. I’ll try the lacing technique. This is the first pair of boots I’ve ever had where the upper didn’t overlap my skinny shins. The custom uppers were an extra $75.

I should probably start a new thread on the breaking in of these.

Well... a step back and a step forward.

I had approached the ~100Hrs for the recommended break in period.... so I thought.

So I would say the 100Hr break in time is actually for men who work in the boots and not office dwellers. Think I have a ways to go but I easily did 30~40Hrs this trip.

This is a timely thread as I've been researching a pair of nice boots. I was initially all-in for White's but then I started reading about Nicks and now I'm definitely leaning that way. Regarding your break-in time, I believe it was on their website (but it could have been elsewhere) but they specifically say that the 80-100 hours is actually walking around time. I've got some personal goals I'm striving for and if I can stick with it, I'm rewarding myself with a pair of Nicks. Thanks for the thread and all the updates. It's nice to get a personal view and how things actually happen.

Soooo... my boots are approaching a year. Since they are more of a casual boot for me, they don't get the working boot wear and tear. They're fully broken in at this point and feel pretty sweet. I love how my back feels so much better just standing in them. I added the dress false tongues in the Summer:
After almost a year, the soles, heel, welt, uppers... are laughing at the wear I'm putting on them.

That said... I am sad to report that Nicks has stopped taking custom orders. They'll still do the custom fitting + build, but I can't put together a unique boot with different upper, sole, heel options. Have to go with a menu item. I'm a bit upset as I was ready to pull the trigger on my next pair inspired by this Taft boot:

British tan leather toe and heel, rough out (instead of the fabric shown on the Taft) uppers dyed navy blue, Danite sole Dogger heels. I would go for the 10" height this time too.

So..... off to look for options.

Top Bottom