What's new

Public Enemies

I am pissed about this film.

Michael Mann is a lackluster, as always. I won't say terrible, because he makes BIG, intricate sets, spot-on detailing and pulls the shots in close and makes actors work for the camera and he loves city-scapes.

However, this guy has no heart. If he were a novelist, he would be Stephen King. Big on ambition and and an artist with details, but no understanding of the pathos that is what humankind is made up of.

To manage to make Johgn Dillinger's story bland, with the two best actors available in film, no less, is an achievement in and of itself.

Unfortunately, Depp is directed to death and Bale was grounded and given detention for most of the film. Either that, or he phoned his performance in, in-between takes of the next Batman movie.

Go see it for the period details (awesome) and some great shots of men-with-guns, and stay for the half-arsed attack on "American justice myths" and an even more biz-ar-o attempt at a "motif" of big justice versus cruelty versus mankind versus whatever. Rudyard Kipling was more adept at that, even when he was cheerleading empire.

And the movies that they previewed had a fat, pay-check collecting non-funny Vince Vaughn.

One bright point is Johnny Depp trying to humanize and charm Dillinger's myth as a one-gal-kinda-guy (but actress is definitely b+ list, but has nice blue eyes.)

The brightest point is "The New Film By Quentin Tarantino" preview.

Looks like Brad Pitt's best, and looks like violence and sadism from credits to credits, not to mention Nazis getting their arses handed to them by guys from Brooklyn.

I cannot wait.

I saw it last night. No Tarantino trailer though.

I wholeheartedly disagree with your review. I thought it was pretty solid from start to finish, though Christian Bale's accent was so phony it was hard to ignore. Depp, as usual, was stunning. The action sequences were typical Mann shoot-out extravagance and the attention to historical detail was frightening. I knock a couple of points off for some artistic licenses that I felt we could have done without, but hey, it's Hollywood.

Anybody remember Dillinger with Warren Oates? Also an entertaining look at the life of John Dillinger.

However, this guy has no heart. If he were a novelist, he would be Stephen King. Big on ambition and and an artist with details, but no understanding of the pathos that is what humankind is made up of.

Hey! Leave Stephen out of this! No understanding of pathos? What did he ever do to you? :mad:

I saw it last night. No Tarantino trailer though.

I wholeheartedly disagree with your review. I thought it was pretty solid from start to finish, though Christian Bale's accent was so phony it was hard to ignore. Depp, as usual, was stunning. The action sequences were typical Mann shoot-out extravagance and the attention to historical detail was frightening. I knock a couple of points off for some artistic licenses that I felt we could have done without, but hey, it's Hollywood.

Anybody remember Dillinger with Warren Oates? Also an entertaining look at the life of John Dillinger.

Agreed. It's was pretty good I thought. Certainly nothing to rave about, but it was a solid film. The historical inaccuracy of certain events in the film kind of angered me a bit, but as you said it's Hollywood. What are you going to do?

Saw it yesterday afternoon. I was left wanting more out of it. Maybe I was expecting a action packed film, not sure what I expected. Don't get me wrong it was a very good movie, just not what I wanted. I don't know much about the real story.
I found myself waiting to see Depp pull out a razor and shave with it. Boy was I impress with the DE he used. Although he didn't really shave with it. I bet if he had he would of been hooked like we are.

too much shooting

i know dillinger liked nice clothes, but he was way more conservative than that from what i know.

pervis in real life was a short nerd. oh, hollywood.

the jailbreak in the beginning had me hysterical.

the guy doing j. edgar was awesome.

they forgot the pink lights at the biograph.

not enough boaters :biggrin1:

would i see it again? probably :lol::lol:

im just a stickler for authentic detail, but we all know that dosent sell in hollywood.

I saw it Saturday afternoon and enjoyed it quite a bit. I didn't have any real expectations. I just went to see it without knowing much about it beforehand. I think it will be a very popular movie. But, I don't expect it will win a bunch of awards. I would recommend it to a friend....:thumbup1:

I am pissed about this film.

Michael Mann is a lackluster, as always. I won't say terrible, because he makes BIG, intricate sets, spot-on detailing and pulls the shots in close and makes actors work for the camera and he loves city-scapes.

To manage to make Johgn Dillinger's story bland, with the two best actors available in film, no less, is an achievement in and of itself.

Unfortunately, Depp is directed to death and Bale was grounded and given detention for most of the film. Either that, or he phoned his performance in, in-between takes of the next Batman movie.

Go see it for the period details (awesome) and some great shots of men-with-guns, and stay for the half-arsed attack on "American justice myths" and an even more biz-ar-o attempt at a "motif" of big justice versus cruelty versus mankind versus whatever. Rudyard Kipling was more adept at that, even when he was cheerleading empire.

And the movies that they previewed had a fat, pay-check collecting non-funny Vince Vaughn.

One bright point is Johnny Depp trying to humanize and charm Dillinger's myth as a one-gal-kinda-guy (but actress is definitely b+ list, but has nice blue eyes.)

The brightest point is "The New Film By Quentin Tarantino" preview.

Looks like Brad Pitt's best, and looks like violence and sadism from credits to credits, not to mention Nazis getting their arses handed to them by guys from Brooklyn.

I cannot wait.

Well, aren't we a positive fellow?

So, who in the entertainment biz don't you hate?

I haven't seem it yet, but a friend of mine that works at Galaxy Cinemas was watching it and walked out because she found it so terrible. Keeping in mind, however, she works there so saw it for free, making it easier to walk out of...

I have yet to pass judgment.

The beginning is promising but the last bit was slow and the firefight in the woods looked like it was unedited and shot with a personal DVR. I would give it a 3/5.

Haven't seen it yet. But plan on it. Looking more for historical accuracy, hopefully not too stretched by Hollywood. But things like the breakout with the soap gun, the lady in red and the fact that they pretty much murdered him instead of taking him alive.
He didn't have much respect for Bonnie and Clyde, he felt that they were making him look bad the way they just killed innocent people. He also wrote Ford a letter telling him how great his cars were for making getaways and escapes.

I thoroughly enjoyed every bit of this movie. Great props and acting combined with a fascinating story... what more could you want really?

We saw the movie last night and enjoyed it-the sets were great!!!

But the real reason that I'm posting this is because TODAY is the 75th anniversary of John Dillinger's death in 1934. It would be nice to live in Chicago and go see the old theater.

Also, as an aside, part of the movie was filmed at the old Libertyville, IL high school, which was two blocks from where we used to live. Marlon Brandon went to school there until, according to wiki, he was expelled for riding a motorcycle down the hall.

Top Bottom