What's new

Pu-erh teas?

Are these little cakes a "one-cup" size? Netsurfr emailed me a couple times and turned me onto his store and the B&B Group Buys. The variety is overwhelming, so I may check into a sampler.

always good to start with samples, as many as you can to find the right one for you before getting a full cake

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Alas it's true. I order the Nonpareil from Dragon and it's $120/lb. My mystery sheng friend, Henry, turned me on to Tie Guan Yin a few years ago. The experience of a good tea involves more than just taste. With the better TKY's, the leaves become bigger, without tears or cuts from a machine, and stems are entirely missing. Gives the bottom of the pot a very swamp-like appearance at the end. Mmmmmmh!

Now if I hadn't met you guys, I'd be content with my $120.00/2-3 month habit.

I love a good TGY, or just about any top notch lightly oxidized oolong.

Are these little cakes a "one-cup" size?

If you use a bathtub sized cup. :biggrin:

The cake pictured above is as close to a "standard" size as exists- 357g. That's enough for roughly 30-70 sessions, based on the Hobbes-Benny scale.

A bathtub size cup. Now there is a vision! I sometimes feel like a very gauche American drinking pu-erh out of my sixteen ounce cup at work... but not for very long. It may not have quite the appeal of having sessions out of a 40 ml porcelain cup but it still is wonderfully refreshing and relaxing.

Last edited:

ouch

Well, maybe not most of them... but all of the good teachat folks are here! :thumbup:

I'd like to see a few more of those shaving averse guys here.

I would always tell them that we're not trying to recruit new members- we have plenty. It's just that if you love tea (or just about anything else) you're probably interested in getting more info, and B&B consistently provides some of the best.

I prefer this place to teachat.

It's like reading a movie critic...

If I know the critic hates action movies and raves over period pieces and I hate action moves and period pieces, I'll know that if he raves about an action movie then maybe I should consider seeing it even though it isn't my thing. If he hates a period piece then I'll avoid it like the plague (or like a kevin costner movie not about baseball).

With that posted, there are fewer people here so I can better filter and balance all their postings and get a better feel on what to expect. Fex... If thanks raves about a shu I'll know the mind control zombies have attacked. If ouch recommends a recent CNNP I'll know to call the police because something horrible has happened at his home :biggrin:

I'd like to see a few more of those shaving averse guys here.

I would always tell them that we're not trying to recruit new members- we have plenty. It's just that if you love tea (or just about anything else) you're probably interested in getting more info, and B&B consistently provides some of the best.

Teachat seems mighty aggressive to me - not my thing at all. It also strikes me as being a forum where some writers try and impress each other, which ends up reading like every other internet forum.

I prefer the pace, atmosphere, and clientele here. :)

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

Teachat seems mighty aggressive to me - not my thing at all. It also strikes me as being a forum where some writers try and impress each other, which ends up reading like every other internet forum.

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

like a over steeped young sheng? :001_cool:

ouch

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

You've alluded to that on occasion, and it's nice to know I wasn't misreading your thoughts. I've noticed that as well, and although I usually try to lighten things up over there, I'll confess to falling for the trap more than once.

I don't find much "my way or the highway" attitude on B&B. It seems the goal of most of the folks here is to help others find what works for them, even if it takes a different path than you've chosen for yourself. Just as you can get a great shave with or without a straight, a Gem, a DE, or an injector, the fun part of tea is discovering your own taste and techniques, and your guides should be just that- guides.

:laugh: :lol: :laugh:

Now, there is an analogy that I can relate to!!! Nice one!

I once got harangued unmercifully as spamming the forum for offering up the same Group Tea Buy that we have here. One of the mods even contacted me and admonished me. I was not asked to remove the content but I removed it anyway. No need for them to have access to those kinds of prices if they are going to get all uppity about it. The teachat members that count already know where the Group Buy is advertised here. Ah well... such is life. One of those things that falls into the category of: "don't sweat the small stuff (and everything is small stuff)."

Now, don't get me wrong, I still participate in the forum a bit just to learn things that I might not be able to pick up elsewhere. It is just not my go-to place.

You've alluded to that on occasion, and it's nice to know I wasn't misreading your thoughts. I've noticed that as well, and although I usually try to lighten things up over there, I'll confess to falling for the trap more than once.

I don't find much "my way or the highway" attitude on B&B. It seems the goal of most of the folks here is to help others find what works for them, even if it takes a different path than you've chosen for yourself. Just as you can get a great shave with or without a straight, a Gem, a DE, or an injector, the fun part of tea is discovering your own taste and techniques, and your guides should be just that- guides.

You think you can get a good shave with a Gem? Maybe if your face is a lawn :mad:

Well I haven't. :biggrin:

Some guys seem to, though.

Golly gee! Can't even provoke a fight here.

I have a Gem but scared to try it. Don't you use the same blade that is used to scrape expired inspection stickers off windows? Barbarous :out:

I used Teachat exclusively and wanted you guys to come over there, but once I got over my "this is a forum, for SHAVING!? These guys are absolutely crazy!" phase, and seeing as how I now shave with a straight I've fallen in love with this place, and wish I had more money to be a contributor. I rarely go to Teachat, and when I do it just reinforces my decision to spend 95% of my time here.

Golly gee! Can't even provoke a fight here.

I have a Gem but scared to try it. Don't you use the same blade that is used to scrape expired inspection stickers off windows? Barbarous :out:

How did you guess? I just take the blade out of the scraper for the glass top stove when I need to shave. After all, the glass top stove really acts just like a fine hone for the blade.

nice one... I think my first post over in Teachat I mentioned a sore topic and started like a month long argument between everyone... sort of funny in retrospect :)

I must admit to liking this board the best! Too bad we can't all sit down for some tea together. BTW, I'm mixing threads but I would have sworn Hobbes was at least out of his 20's!

About to try some 99 green big tree, thanks you know who you are.

Top Bottom